2018 Seniors playing pro

Western_101

So it's over, lets get some off season talk.

I see 4 guys on this current roster that have a shot at the pros.

Kahleen Saunders is so fast so nibble and so quick to quick to figure things out on the fly and adjust. So yeah, at 300+ pounds I would be surprised if he didn't get some NFL interest.

Steve McShane is disciplined, determined, durable, non injury prone back that has fantastic hands can shift or stop on a dime and has the extra gear type speed where with ball in hand and end zone in sight he typically can pull away from a defender that doesn't have an angel on him. I see him as a valuable special teams player in the NFL.

Sean McGuire didn't have the year he had last year but, his leadership and athleticism could make him an appealing backup in the CFL or the new AAF.

Pete Swenson has just become so dominant this year. I don't know if its NFL calibur, could be practice squad or the aforementioned CFL or AAF.

I don't follow Arena football, the guys that are on rosters get payed but how much? and really it's kinda it's own thing. So I'm undecided if playing in the AFL makes you a pro football player.

Feel free to critique or add a player. Moon and Fitspatrick come to mind.
Western_101

Unrelated, but, without looking up, did Adam Conrady have just the one reception this year? Guess Elliot's not a fan of the tight end. SDSU and 'Da Coach would take issue.
rocki

I'm actually wondering if McShane and Fitzpatrick aren't looking at post-collegiate baseball instead of football.
Western_101

rocki wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 pm I'm actually wondering if McShane and Fitzpatrick aren't looking at post-collegiate baseball instead of football.
Interesting :idea:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 pm I'm actually wondering if McShane and Fitzpatrick aren't looking at post-collegiate baseball instead of football.
It's definitely the safer route to go. There's a lot more opportunities to keep playing in baseball with all the minor league teams too, although you don't make much money until you break into the big leagues.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Like seeing some of the seniors posting some very heartfelt words on their twitter about playing at WIU and encouraging words about fellow players and coaches. Makes it that much more heart-breaking that their season is over.
letsgonecks

Moon has a legit shot. He had a good year, but think the injury last season and off-season surgery set him back a bit. If he's healthy, he should be able to get stronger and put himself in a good position. High School 3 star, played as a true freshman, 3 year starter and 4 year contributor, productive, accolades, multi year team captain, dad was drafted in the NFL (never played). All things that make up a solid foundation.

Rowe might get some looks, but not at corner. A little more muscle/mass and he could be a safety at the next level. Solid tackler with some ball skills, shit he'd start for the Packers right now!!!!

Like Holloway last year, Muniz might get a tryout. Showed decent skill.

Unless Fitz has a really good year in baseball, his only option is football. Like Rowe above, his experience at corner and ability to tackle bodes well. Still a long shot, like Rowe as well.

If McShane has another good year in baseball, he'll find himself in the minors, if he wants. But, he has a real shot at making an NFL roster or at least practice squad initially. Unless he's drafted in baseball's top 20 rounds or later rounds and they want to bonus him to not give football a shot, he's not going to make much money. Who knows, maybe he could make the majors someday, but he could be getting an NFL paycheck next year.

Steve had a great all round year and made some big plays, but looked to be a less explosive when you compare him to his sophomore season. Know he's been banged up a bit the last 2 years, but think playing 2 sports and being more involved in baseball slowed him down. If he can focus and train for just football, he can make it at the next level. The NFL loves quick and compact backs these days and when you throw in his ability to catch and return.........he'll get paid.

Would be surprise if Saunders isn't invited to the combine and should be invited to at least the Blue Grey. He has a lot of hype around him, so if he is invited and does what we know he can do, he'll be drafted.

Swenson, has a tougher road ahead of him, but he looked legit this year. Know he trained really hard in the off-season, so a little more work and he should get a chance. He seemed unstoppable when pinning his ears back and getting after the QB, but his ability to make plays in the running game gives him a much better chance as complete player.
meganeck

It's being reported Saunders has been invited to play in the Senior Bowl
letsgonecks

meganeck wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:25 am It's being reported Saunders has been invited to play in the Senior Bowl
Hopefully. He's on their watch list and they were at the ISUb game scouting him. He had a pretty good game, so would make sense.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Saunders is on their "accepted invites" list, so it looks like he'll be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000