Early look at 2019

GV Dad

Let’s talk 2019. The signing day has come and gone. I like what we did with the $$ we had available. We really didn’t grad many seniors, so scholarship money was tight. This is good, as it means more kids are returning even though we lost some very key contributors.

QB- Every football team starts with the QB position. I really like Connor Sampson, and I get the feeling the Coaching staff does as well. In his limited time on the field this past season, Connor showed a big arm, escapability and a strong grasp of the offense. Our issue here, is that after Conner we don’t have any depth. They have to add a couple arms to that room, as it would be impossible to run a spring or summer with only 2 QBs. At this point, that will need to be through either Grad transfer or PWO.

RB- Ratkovich returns, and will likely take on a larger roll. I don’t think they want to lose him as a 3rd down back though, as he has proven to be a formidable weapon in that regard. I think we will see his number of touches increased, but I think they look for another player to fill McShane’s roll from last year. I think this player is on the roster, I don’t think it’s Norris. We will find out if this is the case in a few weeks.

WR- May be the strength of the team next year, which is good news for Sampson. Wahee, Brunner and Tate, if they stay healthy, will be one of the top WR groups in all of FCS football. And we have solid young depth in Akinyemi and the 3 Fresh we just signed. Very excited about this group!

OL- Coach Howle may be or best position Coach; actually, in my opinion, he is. We have 4 returning starters, including a Fresh AA in Hopp. Look for him to move to LT, which leaves an open battle for RT. I think TJ wins that spot. I also think there may be a strong competition at bot G positions. Not because Ross and Ross aren’t talented, but we have a lot of depth back at the interior line spots.

TE- Our biggest threat to the TE position, is that they only let us play with 1 ball. We have so many playmakers at the other positions, that TE will be much more of a roll player than it has in the past with Conrady. That’s not to say there isn’t talent in this group, there is. I think we’ll see some big plays from this group, as they will be overlooked by defenses. Watch for them on the goal line.

DL- I may be biased here, but the most important area of the D is the DL. And we lost likely the best DLman in school history. That being said, the DL room is still loaded. Hopefully they move Wilson to NG, like they did for Khalen last year. The DE will be Kyle Williams and LaCale London. Turk, Terrill, Detiveaux, Pfiefer and Preston should all factor in the rotation.

LB- With Glisan the only starter returning, your guess is as good as mine here. Who replaces Swenson? Burns, Hendon, Shaw? Probably a combination of all 3. The true LB spots alongside Glisan are all up in the air. We signed a great LB class in 2018, and also brought in a JUCO guy in Folliard. I look for a grad transfer to show up on Campus this summer. If not, we will be VERY young at LB next year.

DB- At Safety, we have some experience returning in Carrera and Viti. Also some young very athletic kids from 2018. At CB, Wheeler returns for one spot, then another wide open competition for the other. May also need a grad transfer here. We have 2 transfers in the 2019 class that will also factor in to the competition.

Early record prediction- 8-4

I like our Non Conf schedule. We should manage 3-1 if we can be ready for the opener at N Alabama. MVFC is always tough, but I think some of the teams slide back to their old ways. 5-3 should be attainable, which will likely put us back in the playoffs.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 am Early record prediction- 8-4

I like our Non Conf schedule. We should manage 3-1 if we can be ready for the opener at N Alabama. MVFC is always tough, but I think some of the teams slide back to their old ways. 5-3 should be attainable, which will likely put us back in the playoffs.
Lots of great info. I agree with you on the QB position...I like what I saw from Sampson near the end of the NDSU game, but after him, I don't think we have much. Haven't seen Trey McJunkin play (transferred in last year from a JUCO, will be a redshirt Junior this year), so we'll see on that front.

As for our record, if we finish 8-4, we're absolutely in the playoffs. Even 7-5 should get us in, although it'll be in question depending on the rest of the field. The toughest game we have on the schedule is at NDSU (and that's including our FBS game at Colorado State), so all the games are within the realm of possibility for us to win (as in...we're not playing a Mizzou or a Wisconsin-type team). On the other hand, I only see 2-3 maybe "easyish" games on the schedule, so it really all depends on how well our new starters come together.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

I have us at 4-8 and I feel like that maybe generous we lost a lot on defense plus our coordinator. We lose our top RB top Wr Top TE and our QB. I’m interested to see if they go after Tyler Foote even though I know he would have to sit out a year.
GV Dad

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:31 pm I have us at 4-8 and I feel like that maybe generous we lost a lot on defense plus our coordinator. We lose our top RB top Wr Top TE and our QB. I’m interested to see if they go after Tyler Foote even though I know he would have to sit out a year.
Well, remember, I'm a parent. So I'm going to be a little on the rosey side with my record predictions. LOL My 8-4 prediction is best case and everyone staying healthy. Some things fall apart, and your 4-8 may be right.

That being said..

1) We did not lose our Top WR. Brunner was our Top receiver. Tate was our most explosive, and Wahee was also better than LeSure when he was healthy.
2) High Tide rises all ships. Our QB and RB will likely be improved or even based on improved O Line play. We only graduated 58 yds rushing per game, we can find that again. McShane's HR ability, hard to replace, so I'll agree there. Replacing McGuire will be tough. Especially his leadership. That said, he made some costly errors due to running for his life an trying to make something happen. Connor will benefit from a much improved OL, so that should smooth his transition. TE, Conrady had 10 receptions in 11 games, for 77 yds. Those are far from impact or irreplaceable numbers.
3) We did lose a ton on D, and I'm getting impatient to see who we bring in as Coordinator. But, I still think there is enough young talent returning and developing that we should ok.
4) N Alabama, Montana St and Tenn Tech should be wins. Home Conf games vs MO State and SIU should be wins. 3 wins from 50-50 games with Indiana St, Illinois St, Youngstown St, and South Dakota.

Also, a little worried we lost Coach Jacobs. He was a stud S & C Coach. Hopefully we can find a good one to take his place.
letsgonecks

Hope Connor's the real deal, but wouldn't mind seeing an FBS transfer come in and compete. Not ruling out McJunkin either as he might bring a little more mobility. Not saying he's the next Matt Barr, but similar build and wouldn't mind seeing a QB extend some plays and potentially pick large chunks on the ground.

RB is wide open and Max could be our guy. Last year was a drop-off for him, but our run blocking was a bit suspect and lacked consistency. No matter who's back there, we'll need and should see some improvement from the boys upfront. Wildcard at RB could be DB Murray, if we're short handed this spring. Wouldn't be surprised to see an FBS guy look to fill this spot either.

WR looks solid. Don't forget about Gaston, assuming he's back and 100%. Was non existent before the injury, but showed some promise his sophomore year.

OL should get better. Some guys who red-shirted should push for time and so should the JUCO transfers. Should be our most improved position next year. Wildcard being Rosene, who was mentioned to be hurt most of last year, so we'll see.

DL takes a huge hit with no Saunders. Hard to replace one of if not the best to ever do it, but like the guys we have coming back. Intrigued by Terrill and Burns if he's going to stay on the DL or potentially move to OLB. Like Williams, Wilson, London, and Turk.

LB has some needs. Swenson was a stud, but who ever fills that role will have a harder time without extra focus in the middle on Saunders. Looking for Watts who saw some playing time, Shaw how didn't do anything during his opportunity and looked to lose those snaps to Watts, and Burns to be our guys off the edge at OLB. Hendon, Benton, Rehfeld and incoming Folliard potentially filling the spot next to Glisan.

Corners, having Wheeler and Clemons back and fighting off the 2 FBS transfers. Maybe Gavin stepping into the rotation as well.

Safety right now for me being Carrera and Whitley. Viti has a shot and Murray could be a guy fighting for one of those spots. Remember seeing Murray come off the field against Montana state holding his arm after a kickoff. Might have actually been our first one and didn't see him again until UNI and believe he still had a cast.

Wish Crosa would have stayed, but next guy up.
GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 pm Hope Connor's the real deal, but wouldn't mind seeing an FBS transfer come in and compete. Not ruling out McJunkin either as he might bring a little more mobility. Not saying he's the next Matt Barr, but similar build and wouldn't mind seeing a QB extend some plays and potentially pick large chunks on the ground.

RB is wide open and Max could be our guy. Last year was a drop-off for him, but our run blocking was a bit suspect and lacked consistency. No matter who's back there, we'll need and should see some improvement from the boys upfront. Wildcard at RB could be DB Murray, if we're short handed this spring. Wouldn't be surprised to see an FBS guy look to fill this spot either.

WR looks solid. Don't forget about Gaston, assuming he's back and 100%. Was non existent before the injury, but showed some promise his sophomore year.

OL should get better. Some guys who red-shirted should push for time and so should the JUCO transfers. Should be our most improved position next year. Wildcard being Rosene, who was mentioned to be hurt most of last year, so we'll see.

DL takes a huge hit with no Saunders. Hard to replace one of if not the best to ever do it, but like the guys we have coming back. Intrigued by Terrill and Burns if he's going to stay on the DL or potentially move to OLB. Like Williams, Wilson, London, and Turk.

LB has some needs. Swenson was a stud, but who ever fills that role will have a harder time without extra focus in the middle on Saunders. Looking for Watts who saw some playing time, Shaw how didn't do anything during his opportunity and looked to lose those snaps to Watts, and Burns to be our guys off the edge at OLB. Hendon, Benton, Rehfeld and incoming Folliard potentially filling the spot next to Glisan.

Corners, having Wheeler and Clemons back and fighting off the 2 FBS transfers. Maybe Gavin stepping into the rotation as well.

Safety right now for me being Carrera and Whitley. Viti has a shot and Murray could be a guy fighting for one of those spots. Remember seeing Murray come off the field against Montana state holding his arm after a kickoff. Might have actually been our first one and didn't see him again until UNI and believe he still had a cast.

Agree with most of this ^^^ Our OL should be much much improved. There is a DB potentially moving to RB this Spring. Gaston is no longer with the team. Not sure where he went, but he won't be on the field for us.
letsgonecks

GV Dad wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm
letsgonecks wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 pm Hope Connor's the real deal, but wouldn't mind seeing an FBS transfer come in and compete. Not ruling out McJunkin either as he might bring a little more mobility. Not saying he's the next Matt Barr, but similar build and wouldn't mind seeing a QB extend some plays and potentially pick large chunks on the ground.

Agree with most of this ^^^ Our OL should be much much improved. There is a DB potentially moving to RB this Spring. Gaston is no longer with the team. Not sure where he went, but he won't be on the field for us.
Yeah, wondered if Gaston would be back. Gavin would be the other potential DB converting to RB. His high school tape was legit. Assuming that is who you were hinting at.
Western_101

Huhh,.....I thought Wahee's eligibility had expired. Having him back healthy is F***ing fantastic!
WIU2DC

Gaston leaving the team to me a positive. Two years ago he cost us a lot in personal fouls in important games. He is very talented but imho he didn’t know how to control himself sometimes. I am curious to know if he transferred to play some where else or left football. If Wahee is back, that’s super exciting as he was hurt all year basically. Did he get a waiver like the Eastern Washington QB did to play at WSU this upcoming season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm Huhh,.....I thought Wahee's eligibility had expired. Having him back healthy is F***ing fantastic!
Wahee was redshirted and played two seasons at Norfolk State. I don't know the details of his transfer, but he played for us last year, so it must have been a grad transfer or something. He's played 3 years, so he'll be a "redshirt senior" in 2019. Theoretically, he might be able to apply for a 6th year/medical redshirt since he only played 3 games for us last season, although...
A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria.
As far as I know, his freshman/redshirt season was just because he was a freshman...not due to "circumstances beyond their control", so it'd be unlikely, but technically possible. If he were to be awarded that, he could actually play for us in 2019 and 2020.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000