Early look at 2019

letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 am
RedNeck wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm Huhh,.....I thought Wahee's eligibility had expired. Having him back healthy is F***ing fantastic!
Wahee was redshirted and played two seasons at Norfolk State. I don't know the details of his transfer, but he played for us last year, so it must have been a grad transfer or something. He's played 3 years, so he'll be a "redshirt senior" in 2019. Theoretically, he might be able to apply for a 6th year/medical redshirt since he only played 3 games for us last season, although...
A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria.
As far as I know, his freshman/redshirt season was just because he was a freshman...not due to "circumstances beyond their control", so it'd be unlikely, but technically possible. If he were to be awarded that, he could actually play for us in 2019 and 2020.
Yeah, grad transfers typically come to schools with 1 year left, but since he graduated in 3 years and red-shirted, he had 2 years remaining. He would not be eligible for a medical hardship. He played in 6 games last year, but only had catches in 3.
WIU2DC

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=11605&s=308075

While I really doesn’t matter much as it’s all based on computer ratings and the previous year, Massey has us in the top 25. As long as our new QB (whomever it may be) is a player I think we will be in the top 3-4 of the MVFC. We lost a lot of seniors this past year but we still have a lot of talent. Can August be here already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=11605&s=308075

While I really doesn’t matter much as it’s all based on computer ratings and the previous year, Massey has us in the top 25. As long as our new QB (whomever it may be) is a player I think we will be in the top 3-4 of the MVFC. We lost a lot of seniors this past year but we still have a lot of talent. Can August be here already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No shit!! Let's get this thing rollin!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

At this point we're big favorites to win against: North Alabama and Tennessee Tech
Favorites over: Montana State, Missouri State, South Dakota, and Southern Illinois
Toss-ups against: Colorado State, Indiana State, Illinois State, Youngstown State
Underdogs against Northern Iowa, and big underdogs against North Dakota State (no big surprise there).
https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8754&s=308075

I like those odds.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Western Illinois football coming back soon.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... -back-soon
wiu712

Summer provides chance for WIU players to grow on and off the field.
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... -off-field
GV Dad

With the Off Season acquisitions that we have had since I started this thread, I'm going to change my prediction to 9-3, possibly 11-1 if the RB from Richmond plays at his ceiling. (Imagine our Offense with a 1,000 yd rusher!) I think SDSU runs the table in the Valley and wins the Conf title. But I could see us 2 or 3,and possibly a Bye and Home game in the playoffs.This team is that good "on paper". Time to see if we can be that good on turf.

Another point, I do not buy us as an underdog at UNI. They are in a complete rebuild on Off and Def. And we just seem to give them fits in scheme. I could see UNI going 5-7.
wiu712

Leatherneck notebook: strength coach, 12-game schedule, and redshirt rule.
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... shirt-rule
WIU11DC

GV Dad wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 am With the Off Season acquisitions that we have had since I started this thread, I'm going to change my prediction to 9-3, possibly 11-1 if the RB from Richmond plays at his ceiling. (Imagine our Offense with a 1,000 yd rusher!) I think SDSU runs the table in the Valley and wins the Conf title. But I could see us 2 or 3,and possibly a Bye and Home game in the playoffs.This team is that good "on paper". Time to see if we can be that good on turf.

Another point, I do not buy us as an underdog at UNI. They are in a complete rebuild on Off and Def. And we just seem to give them fits in scheme. I could see UNI going 5-7.
I love the hope for a 11-1 season and that would be fantastic. But, I am thinking 10-2, depending on our QB situation and if our OL matures like we hope they do. I think we lose at NDSU, and at Colorado State. Illinois State, UNI, and Montana State are all going to be tough next year. (ISU(r) will have the best RB in FCS next year) Montana State is coming off of a playoff run, and UNI always produces a decent squad. Honestly, depending on if its "the next guy up" or "needing more playing time." narrative will dictate if we go 10-2 or 5-7. I love all the off-season pick ups, especially in the DB, QB, and RB arena. I am extremely excited about this season and think we have the pieces in place, but we just need to see if all comes together. UNA, will be a good test as they shouldn't be a roll over team, but we should win by 24+.
GV Dad

WIU11DC wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:41 pm
GV Dad wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 am With the Off Season acquisitions that we have had since I started this thread, I'm going to change my prediction to 9-3, possibly 11-1 if the RB from Richmond plays at his ceiling. (Imagine our Offense with a 1,000 yd rusher!) I think SDSU runs the table in the Valley and wins the Conf title. But I could see us 2 or 3,and possibly a Bye and Home game in the playoffs.This team is that good "on paper". Time to see if we can be that good on turf.

I love the hope for a 11-1 season and that would be fantastic. But, I am thinking 10-2, depending on our QB situation and if our OL matures like we hope they do. I think we lose at NDSU, and at Colorado State. Illinois State, UNI, and Montana State are all going to be tough next year. (ISU(r) will have the best RB in FCS next year) Montana State is coming off of a playoff run, and UNI always produces a decent squad. Honestly, depending on if its "the next guy up" or "needing more playing time." narrative will dictate if we go 10-2 or 5-7. I love all the off-season pick ups, especially in the DB, QB, and RB arena. I am extremely excited about this season and think we have the pieces in place, but we just need to see if all comes together. UNA, will be a good test as they shouldn't be a roll over team, but we should win by 24+.
Can't disagree with any of this ^^. I do think though that 9-3 is a much greater possibility than 11-1. That was extreme best case scenario. I also completely agree with your point about the N Bama game. We will have a great idea of where we stand after that one.