When are we going to see EIU on the schedule?

Western_101

EIU plays Southern somewhat regularly, ISU every year, and even played NIU last year.

However, we have not matched up with EIU since the playoffs in 2002 (WIU beat EIU 48-9). Prior to that we played EIU in 1997 (WIU beat EIU 41-0).

Eastern is the 2nd closest FCS school to WIU (behind ISU) at a mere 190 miles. How are we not getting them on the OCS?

I can see how EIU in the past wanted to shy away from the instate beat downs they were receiving. However, in all fairness there certainly have been some years in the 12 since we have played them where they surely would have beat up on Western.

So what gives?

Thoughts?

(One last unrelated thought. Comparing distances from other schools I guess I always assumed that the closest FBS/BCS school to Western was the U of I in Champaign/Urbana (140 miles). Not true, the closest FBS/BCS school is Iowa in Iowa City (125 miles).
Western_101

One other tidbit WIU's all time record vs. EIU is 40-21-4 .646
WIU0812

You can almost get to University of Missouri (180 Miles) in same time as Illinois since it has the only uninterrupted highway into Macomb (336) that travels straight that direction for about half of the travel or more. Would be nice to see like a Truman University or some other DII school turn DI FCS in Missouri or Iowa to give us a closer school to play that is not in state.

Times from Google earth directions using towns not universities.

FBS SCHOOLS
Iowa - 2 hr 9 min
Illinois - 2 hr 36 min
Northern Illinois - 2 hr 49 min
Mizzou - 2 hr 57 min

FCS SCHOOLS.
ISU - 1 hr 56 min
EIU - 3 hr 20 min
Northern Iowa - 3 hr 23 min
Drake - 3 hr 29 min

DII SCHOOLS OUT OF STATE
Truman - 2 hr 30 min
Lindenwood University - 2 hr 51 min
Maryville University - 2 hr 51 min
University of Missouri - St Louis - 2 hr 57 min
Lincoln University - 3 hr 3 min

Never knew how many DII schools were in Missouri, but it is quite amazing how many there are. I think Truman would be up there in rankings to move up with no other DI school near it in the state or southern Iowa. Truman has a little over 6,000 students enrolled

Last edited by WIU0812 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mizzou Rah

I am pretty certain we have EIU on the schedule for 2015. I know it is further than you were discussing but don't forget Northwest Missouri State home of my alma mater, the Bearcats, defending DII champs and have won it 4 or 5 times in the past 15 years.
Western_101

Hey, WIU0812, you were making reference to Truman State and included what appears to be a picture of Furman's Basketball Arena. Guess I'm not making the connection.
Western_101

Mizzou Rah, I don't think it would be a good idea for WIU to put Northwest Missouri State on the Schedule. Let me put it this way NWMS would probably at least have a .500 record if they played in the Valley.

I think Wisconsin Whitewater would be a good addition, if Valley Football were looking to expand. Grand Valley State might be a good choice too.
WIU0812

RedNeck wrote:Hey, WIU0812, you were making reference to Truman State and included what appears to be a picture of Furman's Basketball Arena. Guess I'm not making the connection.
Sorry about that I just searched google for it as I have never been to a Truman Basketball game. Thought it was a T when I first saw it on court. I placed new picture on there now. Also, we were not talking about adding anyone to MVFC only talking about wishing there was another nonconference team that was close by and was a FCS school. I still think Truman could fit in as a smaller DI program, but could be wrong as I have not actually been there, but have always heard good things and seems to be relatively large. I would definitely encourage someone that close to join the Summit though because we need either another Illinois school which is most likely not going to happen or someone from Missouri that is close. The whole idea is to have another close school for rivalry and that is easier for fans to travel to.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

If we're talking in the Summit, I'd love to see SIU-E.
- Already Div. I (currently Ohio Valley)
- roughly 2 1/2 hours away from Macomb (slightly more if there's any traffic)
- helps bring in some of the St. Louis market area (although they're mostly dominated by SLU)
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

SIU-Edwardsville had 8 Men's Basketball games televised on Fox Sports Midwest during this past season.

The SIU-Edwardsville basketball facility: http://www.siuecougars.com/facilities/Vadalabene_Center
Western_101

I agree STL. SIUE would be great to have in the Summit along with Eastern.