2019 Roster - QBs

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I know I normally do a review of each position and talk about everyone on the roster, but this summer has been a bit crazy, so I haven't been able to get that going. I did see an article about one of our transfer QBs that I wanted to post, so I figure I'll go ahead and just do something quick. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts on these guys. I'll try to get something put together for each position, although in some cases, might be kinda short.

QBs on the current roster:

#8 Junior Connor Sampson - the "heir apparent" to Sean McGuire, played in 4 games in 2017 as a redshirt freshman (5 of 8 on throws for 35 yards and 1 TD), then 6 games last year (6 of 14 with 97 yards and 1 INT late against NDSU).

#12 Freshman L.T. Beck - true freshman from Burlington, IA, will probably redshirt the 2019 season

#14 Sophomore Henry Ogala - transfer from Lincoln University (Jefferson City, MO) and is originally from Somerset, NJ. Played last year at Lincoln as a true freshman with 142 of 246 on passing (57.7%) for 1683 yards with 9 TDs and 4 INTs. Had his best game against MVFC's Missouri State (76.2% passing, 205 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs). As a DII to DI transfer, he will likely have to sit out the 2019 season (using his redshirt).

#18 Sophomore Grant Ferrauilo - transfer from El Camino College (California), originally from Wayne, NJ. Played 11 games last year at El Camino as a freshman with 114 of 208 on passing (54.8%) for 1583 yards with 19 TDs and 7 INTs. Coming from a JUCO, I believe he can play this season. In an article about him, it sounds like he's going to compete for the starting job and if he doesn't get it, will probably end up redshirting this year so he can still have 3 years of eligibility. Here's that article I mentioned before: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 690600001/

#19 Senior Kevin Johnson - transfer from University of Richmond (VA), originally from Atlanta, GA. Played as a true freshmen at Richmond in 3 games in 2015, 5 games in 2016, then took his redshirt year in 2017. Last year, as a redshirt junior, he played in 7 games, starting 6 of them. Threw 90 of 164 passes for 1302 yards and 5 TDs with 8 INTs. He has one year of eligibility left and as a "grad transfer" he does not have to sit out a year.

Based on all that, my guess is that we'll probably end up seeing Sampson be the starter and Johnson as the backup, unless Johnson or Ferrauilo are really impressive in training camp. Beck and Ferrauilo can technically suit up this season if need be as the #3 QB, but also remember, redshirts can actually play in up to 4 games and not "burn" their redshirt now, so one of those guys could be the #3 and if they had to pop in for a game or two, could still consider this their redshirt year.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

Johnson apparently shared QB duties with Mancuso who was the Spiders leading rusher last year. So I dont think we can expect Johnson to do much running this year. Have not seen enough of Sampson to know how his wheels are. Historically in the MVFC, the teams that do well are the teams that have a QB running threat.
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

Sampson is the real deal. If, and a big if, our OL can step up, we could see a big spike in scoring over last season. Johnson will most likely be the back up.
GV Dad

Ferraruilo is the wild card. His film looks outstanding. My guess is, he RS this season unless Connor gets hurt. Then he would battle Johnson for the starting spot. That being said, he is going to be a stud at Western when he gets his chance.

The best thing about our QB situation, is that we have 5 arms to share the reps in summer camp!
WIU2DC

#18 Sophomore Grant Ferrauilo - transfer from El Camino College (California), originally from Wayne, NJ. Played 11 games last year at El Camino as a freshman with 114 of 208 on passing (54.8%) for 1583 yards with 19 TDs and 7 INTs. Coming from a JUCO, I believe he can play this season. In an article about him, it sounds like he's going to compete for the starting job and if he doesn't get it, will probably end up redshirting this year so he can still have 3 years of eligibility. Here's that article I mentioned before: https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 690600001/

I just watched his game tape and he’s mobile and seems like a good Air it out QB. I would feel bad for Sampson if he lost his starting spot but the best should get the gig and Ferraulio looks great on tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
letsgonecks

Ogala started their season opener in 2017 and appeared in 3 games. Assuming he got hurt and was able to red-shirt (pre play 4 and red-shirt rule), but that means he'll sit out this year and have 2 years left as a Junior next year. He could always apply for a 6th year on a hardship waiver, but those are usually given for 2 years lost to injury. I could be totally wrong here, but the way it looks.

Good to hear Ferrauilo Grey-Shirted in 2017 (started second semester), giving him the extra fall sports season and ability to red-shirt if he doesn't win the job and still have 3 left.