2019 Week 1 - Western Illinois at North Alabama (8/29/19)

rocki

Leatherneck177 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:25 am Max Norris? John Brunner? Where were they?
wiu712 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 pm North Alabama won the game 26-17.

North Alabama had 412 total yards (290 passing).

Western had 302 total yards (183 passing and 119 rushing).

Connor Sampson had 18 completions out of 30 attempts.

Attendance at North Alabama = 10,567.
They said Brunner didn't make the trip - why, I don't know. Max Norris was on the sidelines but other than his jersey, did not dress. Trying to get him healed up from an injury before the conference season starts? Who knows?
wiu712

UNA 26, WESTERN ILLINOIS 17: Lions open 2019 football season with a bang.
From the Florence, Alabama Times Daily:
https://www.timesdaily.com/sports/una_s ... fc41c.html

Western Illinois Falls Against North Alabama In Season Opener.
From WGEM Sports:
https://wgem.com/2019/08/30/western-ill ... on-opener/
sealhall74

Do we have a weekly Coach's show this year? Usually on Mondays in the past. Monday is a holiday.

Like Sergeant Shultz said, "I know nothing".
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:08 amDo we have a weekly Coach's show this year?
The Coach Jared Elliot Show will start on Monday, Sept 2.
Hear from Western’s head football coach on The Jared Elliott Show, WGEM SportsCenter, and the WIU Football Coaches Show.
https://goleathernecks.com/news/2019/8/ ... h=football

Western Illinois falls in opener to North Alabama.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... th-alabama
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

A guy I know who's a UNI fan over at AGS made a comment about the long drive we had down to Alabama.

"Not just a 9 hour bus ride

9 hour bus ride to sleep in a hotel to sit around all day on a Thursday in that hotel to play a night game. Then you have a 9 hour bus ride home the day after a game - imagine how good that will feel.

Last year when UNI played ISUb on a Thursday night they flew from Cedar Falls to Indiana the day of the game. It was a 55 minute flight. Landed 5 hours before the game and rented a conference center for a couple hours to prep in, went to the stadium, walked out a 33-0 winner and were back in their own apartment/dorm rooms within 12 hours of leaving Cedar Falls that morning"

I'm not saying we would have won if we'd flown down, UNA played well, but putting the guys on a bus for a whole day like that is not putting them in a position to be able to perform to the best of their abilities. That does a disservice to both the players and the coaches.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:08 pm A guy I know who's a UNI fan over at AGS made a comment about the long drive we had down to Alabama.

"Not just a 9 hour bus ride

9 hour bus ride to sleep in a hotel to sit around all day on a Thursday in that hotel to play a night game. Then you have a 9 hour bus ride home the day after a game - imagine how good that will feel.

Last year when UNI played ISUb on a Thursday night they flew from Cedar Falls to Indiana the day of the game. It was a 55 minute flight. Landed 5 hours before the game and rented a conference center for a couple hours to prep in, went to the stadium, walked out a 33-0 winner and were back in their own apartment/dorm rooms within 12 hours of leaving Cedar Falls that morning"

I'm not saying we would have won if we'd flown down, UNA played well, but putting the guys on a bus for a whole day like that is not putting them in a position to be able to perform to the best of their abilities. That does a disservice to both the players and the coaches.
Speaking as a 63 year old guy who has been making a few 867 mile one way trips lately, how you feel before you embark on the journey has a lot to do with how you will feel once you get there. I usually break it up into a 2 day trip driving no more than 8 hours each day but If you are a little banged up, especially with any sort of back issues, you need to stop every hour and 1/2 to 2 hours and stretch things out a bit. Otherwise, you are going to be worthless the next day or two. Young and healthy kids can no doubt handle it better, plus they can get up and move around a bit inside the bus.

Even if we fly, we are looking at 2 to 3 hours of driving time to get to airport and thru security and all loaded and ready to get in the air.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2013

Not making excuses for football or any other sports team, but I have brought up the traveling situation for these teams. Teams are expected to perform at high levels, but the traveling expectations (lack of) is hard. I know the budget does not allow WIU to fly like other teams, but it is hard mentally and physically to travel excessive hours on a bus, play, then have to get back on a bus and travel.
Western_101

Anybody know when the buses get loaded up for Ft. Collins? Figure two stops for food/fuel this should be a very manageable 32 hour round trip.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:Anybody know when the buses get loaded up for Ft. Collins? Figure two stops for food/fuel this should be a very manageable 32 hour round trip.
I've done the drive from Macomb to the west side of the front range quite a few times, once nonstop (never again)...they better not do that to the players.

Honestly, if we can't find a way to fly the football team to a game in Colorado, we need to seriously reconsider being a DI school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

RedNeck wrote:Anybody know when the buses get loaded up for Ft. Collins? Figure two stops for food/fuel this should be a very manageable 32 hour round trip.

I really hope they’re not taking a bus as I’m watching CSU’s game against CU right now. One thing I’ve noticed, is if our offense can’t keep our defense off the field we may be in for a long Saturday. CSU has a 6’6 WR (their captain), upperclassmen RB, and a freshman RB who are athletes.

Side note, we should also know next week how good UNA is, as they play Montana and Montana plays at UsD this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk