2019 Week 3 - Western Illinois vs Montana State

rocki

They did better than I expected, but I still want to see the QB from Richmond get a shot. Too many misses by Sampson. :roll:
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:36 pm Okay, so 99% sure we are not a playoff team BUT I thought we played pretty well for the first time this season. Offense had drives where they looked great, others where they did not and again our D picked up pretty well for how much they were on the field. After watching the second half (thanks ESPN), I’ll say Sampson should get the start next week against Tenn Tech. We lost to the #10 team in the FCS today and were in it the whole time. I’m not full giving up on the possibility of this season... yet. But, maybe y’all at the game have a different perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much, yeah. I was impressed by a lot, but there were a few times we really shot ourselves in the foot (and a few very questionable calls by the refs near the end). If we didn't have a bunch of injuries, I think we'd be an above-.500 team. With injuries, and if we play the way we did today, I think we beat TTU, Missouri State, South Dakota, and maybe Southern Illinois and Indiana State.

Montana State is a really good team, probably ranked single-digits next week, and should compete with Eastern Washington for top in the Big Sky.

EDIT - Also...the refs. Wow...they were missing stuff left and right, calling things that shouldn't have been called. The roughing the passer call in the 4th...even MSU people were saying "That wasn’t roughing the passer... I’ll take it, but that was not a good call". And the pass interference where they got their legs tangled up. That's both guys taking each other down, but you don't throw a flag on that. There was definitely some holding on us that they weren't calling too though...it was pretty even....evenly bad.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

Could be worse I guess at least we didn’t give up over 50 and over 500 passing yards to Houston Baptist
letsgonecks

Sampson puts that ball on Wahee, he probably scores. Instead, horrible ball that's picked.

The roughing the passer call on Burns was complete bullshit. I'm not that confident we would have put points on the board, but should have had the ball back with a chance to win.

Lot of mistakes and should of could of, but some positives as well.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

leatherneckcountry wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:13 pm Could be worse I guess at least we didn’t give up over 50 and over 500 passing yards to Houston Baptist
Very true.

I was thinking 14-point loss for us, and I thought I was being conservative. A lot of people were thinking MSU by more like 24-30. To be in the game well into the 4th quarter and fall by single digits...well...don't get me wrong, it's still disappointing, but we're a much better team than we started off the season as.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
cats2506

I was worried that this game would go the way it did, MSU was missing Ifanse, and Andersen is injured and limited. Bad calls by the refs on both sides. I think you guys have a good team that is getting better each game. We have a couple of home games now and should get a chance to heal and fix some problems

Oh yeah, ESPN+ sucks, at least I will get the rest of our games off the satellite dish

Good luck the rest of the season, I will be cheering for you in the MVC
wiu712

#10 Montana State won the game 23-14.

The Leathernecks 337 yards of total offense marked a season-high, and the 343 allowed to Montana State cemented a season-low.

343 total yards of Offense for Montana State. 337 total yards for Western.

Montana State was 2 for 16 on third down plays.

Attendance at Hanson Field = 4,728.

The Television crew had some "first-game glitches". I was sitting next to the camera-man who was on the north 25 yard line. His camera stand would not allow him to move the camera up or down. He could only move the camera from right to left. Western Broadcasting brought him a new camera stand at halftime.
huskie

The Broadcasting department is a joke. Call the Dean, William Hoon, Acting Chair, Sharon Evens, and the lead instructor for sporting events Quintin Parker. Those are the people that are responsible not the students.
wiu712

Game Day Observations:

Big crowd at Q-Lot before the game. There was a band playing at the Tailgate.

Acting President Martin Abraham was greeting and meeting with the fans though out the afternoon.

Mike Fansler is back this year directing the Marching Leathernecks. He has brought back a lot of traditions that we have not seen in recent years. Once again, the Band marches down from Tillman Hall to Q-Lot one hour before the game. And once again, the Band plays at the Tailgate before the game.

The Band's halftime show was very impressive and was drawing "ooh's and ahh's from the crowd.
Last edited by wiu712 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wiu712

Late miscues cost Western in loss to Montana State.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... tana-state

Bobcats escape with victory at Western Illinois.
From the Bozeman Daily Chronicle:
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 662f0.html