2019 Week 7 - Western Illinois at Indiana State

sealhall74

BobLovely wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:48 am I have come to a number of undeniable conclusions:

While we do have some talented athletes, we do not have enough talented athletes to compete in the MVFC and in the upper level of FCS. Candidly, this year we would struggle at the upper end of DII.

This coaching staff needs to go. I appreciate their hard work but this is not the right staff to compete at this level. No wishful thinking will change this observation.

We need a HC who has upper level FCS or FBS experience and who wants to accept the challenge to build a long term legacy at Western Illinois. When we were abandoned by both Nielsen and Fisher, this really hurt the "program" long term and ultimately, the university.

Bob
Its tough. Fisher was using Nielson's recruits. Elliott is using Fisher's. Neither really has/had time to get their own program in place. But I do agree we just dont have the talent to compete at this level right now. I also came to the conclusion after this game that really smart coaches know when to hit the road before the shit really hits the fan.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Tere North

You may not have the best players, but good coaching would use the players they have to the best of their ability. Not run and offense/defense based on what they wished they had.

I could care less if we had a coach from D1, but we need a coach who understands how to get the best out of what they have and who develops a team first mentality.

Find me a Bill Belichick type and I could care less if he comes from NAIA or D3. That is what we need.
xman

I share the sentiments of everyone else on here, but I'm new here also. As a parent of a player, I hope things turn around for the program both in the win column and financially. I'm thankful for the opportunity my son was given by Western (his education first and foremost), and we are proud that he is here and a Leatherneck. I don't have the answers either, and I love the staff, three of them have set in my living room and we loved them. But that being said, that doesn't win football games, I hope they get it turned around over the next few weeks a little? I know my son is looking forward to the next few years (he's red shirted), so I'm hopeful they will turn it around. Go Leathernecks.....
rocki

xman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am I share the sentiments of everyone else on here, but I'm new here also. As a parent of a player, I hope things turn around for the program both in the win column and financially. I'm thankful for the opportunity my son was given by Western (his education first and foremost), and we are proud that he is here and a Leatherneck. I don't have the answers either, and I love the staff, three of them have set in my living room and we loved them. But that being said, that doesn't win football games, I hope they get it turned around over the next few weeks a little? I know my son is looking forward to the next few years (he's red shirted), so I'm hopeful they will turn it around. Go Leathernecks.....
Not coming from a parental point of view, but I think we all agree. Everyone involved, players and coaches, are wonderful people. The big question is why it's not working. I don't know who does the offensive play calling, but whoever it is needs to step back and take a look and see how things REALLY are. We basically don't have a run game, passing is suspect the vast majority of the time, and the line collapses more often than not. So, their scheme is a major fail. Look at what we have and work with that. I'm ready to see the younger guys get a shot at QB - this season is basically over anyway, so give them the chance to experience real game play. (I tend to think that's one problem with Connor - McGuire was so good Connor didn't have the time put in to really understand game pressure)

Defense, we're pretty decent, but we get stung with the long ball and they're often out there so much that they are worn down.

At the end of the day, it's never too early to start looking for your game for next year. I'm not saying to burn redshirts, but if you have younger guys that will be expected to take over next year, they might as well get in game time now.

Just my 2 cents worth.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 am At the end of the day, it's never too early to start looking for your game for next year. I'm not saying to burn redshirts, but if you have younger guys that will be expected to take over next year, they might as well get in game time now.
Yup. 6 games left (3 home games) and freshman redshirts can play up to 4 without using up their redshirt status. Do redshirt players go to the away games (I think some of them were still around town when we had an away game a few weeks ago). For any that don't have any in-game time yet, put them in for the home games (Illinois State, South Dakota, Southern Illinois). Get them some experience now so that next year is at least a little better.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
xman

ST_Lawson wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:34 am
rocki wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 am At the end of the day, it's never too early to start looking for your game for next year. I'm not saying to burn redshirts, but if you have younger guys that will be expected to take over next year, they might as well get in game time now.
Yup. 6 games left (3 home games) and freshman redshirts can play up to 4 without using up their redshirt status. Do redshirt players go to the away games (I think some of them were still around town when we had an away game a few weeks ago). For any that don't have any in-game time yet, put them in for the home games (Illinois State, South Dakota, Southern Illinois). Get them some experience now so that next year is at least a little better.
I agree on all points. My son hasn't traveled to a game yet, did suit up against MOS though.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just thought this was funny: http://www.college-sports-journal.com/m ... -7-review/
In case they fix it...
Indiana State scored 20 unanswered points in the second half to defeat Western Illinois 201-10.
Yup...sounds about right.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Football gets chopped down by the Indiana State Sycamores.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45630/sports ... sycamores/
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 pm Football gets chopped down by the Indiana State Sycamores.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45630/sports ... sycamores/
Prevail victorious? He must be getting paid by the word. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.