2019 Week 8 - Western Illinois vs Illinois State

rocki

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm Anyone willing to make a prediction on this game?
Think the Leathernecks have any fight left in them, or we just going to hope we don't get completely pummeled?
I predict we'll lose by at least 21. Frankly, I'm not even confident of us scoring at all. If we do, I'd say it would be on a long field goal.

Don't get me wrong, I still bleed purple and gold; but with the injuries and the youth of most of this team I just don't think we can get it done.

I wonder if the defense will even be able to hold up until the second half.....I have a feeling they're going to be on the field for what feels like forever. :(
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:01 am
ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm Anyone willing to make a prediction on this game?
Think the Leathernecks have any fight left in them, or we just going to hope we don't get completely pummeled?
I predict we'll lose by at least 21. Frankly, I'm not even confident of us scoring at all. If we do, I'd say it would be on a long field goal.

Don't get me wrong, I still bleed purple and gold; but with the injuries and the youth of most of this team I just don't think we can get it done.

I wonder if the defense will even be able to hold up until the second half.....I have a feeling they're going to be on the field for what feels like forever. :(
Unfortunately I think you're probably right.
ISU is #1 in the FCS in total sacks (2nd in sacks per game)
WIU is #121 (out of 124) in the FCS in sacks allowed

ISU is #9 in the FCS in 3rd down conversion defense (as in, stopping 3rd down conversions)
WIU is last in the FCS in 3rd down conversions

They're #10 in scoring defense, we're #103 in scoring offense....you get the point.
In most defensive categories, ISU is better than any of the FCS teams we've played this season.

If Indiana State can hold us to 10 points, 1 for 15 on 3rd down conversions, and 214 total yards....
well....Illinois State has a better defense than Indiana State.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

There is hope. Not 100% sure, but I think my fiance will be coming to the game with me. A little history. We had communitcated back and forth for a while earlier this year before meeting in person for the first time at the T Denny in Sioux Falls just minutes before the tipoff against the Jacks. She was wearing a Hawkeyes sweatshirt but when we got inside the arena, first thing she bought was a Leathernecks tournament shirt. We then found our seats amongst a throng of South Dakota supporters. Needless to say, the Leathernecks shocked the world that evening by upsetting the #1 seed and the rest has been a life changing whirlwind journey for me. So if we do need a good luck charm on Saturday, we may have the one we need. Just My Honest Slightly Biased Opinion though.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am There is hope. Not 100% sure, but I think my fiance will be coming to the game with me. A little history. We had communitcated back and forth for a while earlier this year before meeting in person for the first time at the T Denny in Sioux Falls just minutes before the tipoff against the Jacks. She was wearing a Hawkeyes sweatshirt but when we got inside the arena, first thing she bought was a Leathernecks tournament shirt. We then found our seats amongst a throng of South Dakota supporters. Needless to say, the Leathernecks shocked the world that evening by upsetting the #1 seed and the rest has been a life changing whirlwind journey for me. So if we do need a good luck charm on Saturday, we may have the one we need. Just My Honest Slightly Biased Opinion though.
If it works, please get her on the team bus and/or in the locker room for every remaining game. ;)
sealhall74

rocki wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:40 am
sealhall74 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am There is hope. Not 100% sure, but I think my fiance will be coming to the game with me. A little history. We had communitcated back and forth for a while earlier this year before meeting in person for the first time at the T Denny in Sioux Falls just minutes before the tipoff against the Jacks. She was wearing a Hawkeyes sweatshirt but when we got inside the arena, first thing she bought was a Leathernecks tournament shirt. We then found our seats amongst a throng of South Dakota supporters. Needless to say, the Leathernecks shocked the world that evening by upsetting the #1 seed and the rest has been a life changing whirlwind journey for me. So if we do need a good luck charm on Saturday, we may have the one we need. Just My Honest Slightly Biased Opinion though.
If it works, please get her on the team bus and/or in the locker room for every remaining game. ;)
She recently got her Personal Trainer certification, so she might be qualified for that position. :lol:
Embrace the pace of the race.
GV Dad

I feel bad even typing this. ISU’s defense is legit. Maybe the best we’ve faced so far. I don’t see us generating much on Offense. I do think our Defense matches up pretty well with their offense, but as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, they will be on the field a lot. Our special teams has also been doing very well. Top 20 in the country in several categories. I think they get us at least 1 short field. My brain prediction ISU 20 WIU 13. My heart prediction, defensive and special teams scores, ISU takes us lightly, and we pull the upset 24-17.
letsgonecks

The good news is it looks like like Edgar and Grimes are still out at WR. The bad news is everything else.

Johnson played poorly his last time out, but lets put him in and move the the pocket a bit. No play action, it's not fooling anyone, we're not establishing the run and the precious second(s) the QB isn't reading the defense doesn't help when the pressure is coming. Pass heavy, take some shots deep and have a consistent rotation at WR to stay fresh. Double team and/or chip Romero every down with a TE.

Stop the jet sweeps and jet sweep action. Yes, they've been our most productive runs, but they're not efficient and the fakes aren't opening anything up in the middle. They're just wasting the energy of our wideouts.

Not a realistic chance to win here, so sellout on the run. Get a steady rotation at LB and bring the blitzes all day. Try to force some mistake and if we give up a big play, who the hell cares at this point. Playing it safe and trying to limit the big play isn't working either.

There are no moral victories when you're 0-6, so when your regular gameplan isn't producing, why not get as extreme as possible? Maybe it works or maybe you lose by 50, but doing the same basic shit so you can keep it somewhat close and still be 0-7 is ridiculous.
wiu712

Football seeks first win against Illinois State Redbirds.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45705/sports ... -redbirds/
wiu712

RIVALRY RENEWED: Western Illinois hosts Illinois State.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/2 ... ry-renewed
wiu712

Illinois State football takes on winless Western Illinois.
From the Bloomington Pantagraph:
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colle ... 4c7aa.html