2019 Week 9 - Western Illinois at Youngstown State

wiu712

Youngstown State puts it all together in rout of Western Illinois.
From the Youngstown Vindicator:
https://www.vindy.com/sports/ysu-sports ... p-forward/
BobLovely

rocki wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:19 pm My apologies to Mr. Lovely. This is, in fact, a dumpster fire.

Put in another QB - we have nothing to lose, and the playing time will be good for the future.
No apology is needed. This is now an out of control "dumpster fire." This coaching staff has to go. Revival of this program will be a total "rebuild" and will take a supreme effort. We are at a dark moment in the rich history of Western Illinois football. As an alumnus, I am embarrassed by the current state of this program...

Bob
btl1

GV Dad wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:26 pm
rocki wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:19 pm My apologies to Mr. Lovely. This is, in fact, a dumpster fire.

Put in another QB - we have nothing to lose, and the playing time will be good for the future.
I would agree, but our QB of the future isn't eligible. We do need to start spreading the snaps. Let's get some Freshman OL and WRs some snaps. And our RS Fresh LBs should all be starting.
What about freshman QB Beck?
Last edited by btl1 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leatherneckcountry

BobLovely wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:15 am

No apology is needed. This is now an out of control "dumpster fire." This coaching staff has to go. Revival of this program will be a total "rebuild" and will take a supreme effort. We are at a dark moment in the rich history of Western Illinois football. As an alumnus, I am embarrassed by the current state of this program...

Bob
I love coach Elliott as a person but why hiring a coach with 3 years of FCS experience and only 1 as a coordinator just seems like a recipe for failure. The biggest question is what direction do they go what kind of candidates do you get.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

btl1 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:09 am

I would agree, but our QB of the future isn't eligible. We do need to start spreading the snaps. Let's get some Freshman OL and WRs some snaps. And our RS Fresh LBs should all be starting.
Idk...with the way the current O-line is playing, I'd be afraid for his life. Maybe put him in against USD or SIU...they have pretty "meh" defenses. I don't think you want him in against NDSU or UNI though.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
xman

I agree with this.....
rocki

xman wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 am

I agree with this.....
Obviously, I do as well. The best we can do now is start trying to build for the future. Our season is down the tubes, so get the guys that will be around next year (and beyond) some game-time experience. Never too early to start getting them used to playing against other teams, rather than just hitting each other in practice.
wiu712

Leathernecks remain winless after 45-point loss.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45882/sports ... oint-loss/
GV Dad

I haven’t heard anything about him. But I agree with Scott, it would be a lot for a true Fresh QB to handle right now. Could do more harm than good if he’s not ready.
letsgonecks

GV Dad wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 pm

I haven’t heard anything about him. But I agree with Scott, it would be a lot for a true Fresh QB to handle right now. Could do more harm than good if he’s not ready.
I say we get Beck some reps, lets not commit a whole game or keep him in if he's getting killed, but see what he's got. He is a true freshman, but played a year of prep ball and competed against DIII JV squads. I know that's very far from Valley competition, but a year older than most true Freshman and looked pretty good on his prep tape. He's also had a few months practicing at this level.

I'd love for these boys to get a W or two and Sampson probably/sadly gives them the best chance, but give the kid a few looks and FCS game experience that might bode well for the following 4 years.