2019 Week 10 - Western Illinois vs South Dakota

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image VS Image
Western Illinois vs South Dakota
Saturday, November 2 at 1 PM (Central)
Extra Yard for Educators - WIU Athletics wants to show it's appreciation for those who are helping our athletes be successful off the field and in life.

Radio: Leatherneck Sports Network
TV : ESPN+

Game Notes
Coming Soon

History: WIU and USD have played 9 times beginning in 1976. The two teams played in '76 and '77, then every year since 2012 when they joined the conference. WIU holds a 5-4 advantage in the series although USD has won the last two matchups, 17-12 last year in Vermillion, SD and 38-33 the year before in Macomb (the Homecoming game where Acklin set all those receiving records).
WIU in 2018 - 5-6 overall, 4-4 in the MVFC
WIU in 2019 - 0-8 overall, 0-4 in the MVFC
USD in 2018 - 4-7 overall, 3-5 in the MVFC
USD in 2019 - 3-5 overall, 2-2 in the MVFC
This season, USD lost to Montana, FBS Oklahoma, Houston Baptist, beat Northern Colorado, Indiana State, and Missouri State, then lost to Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois.

Weather Prediction: Partly Cloudy, upper 30s, single-digit chance of precipitation, ~12 MPH winds

Odds:
Massey Ratings - 19% chance of WIU win, with a predicted score of 34-21 for the Coyotes..
Sagarin Ratings - USD 83% chance of victory
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
BobLovely

Oddly enough, this may be an opportunity for Western to actually win a game. With a visiting "dome team" playing in cold weather, we have the opportunity to pull off an upset if this team can play some consistent and determined football. Emotionally, they have nothing to lose. The season is lost. They are playing for pride now. My prediction is that if Western is blown out in this game, they will finish winless.

Bob
rocki

BobLovely wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 am Oddly enough, this may be an opportunity for Western to actually win a game. With a visiting "dome team" playing in cold weather, we have the opportunity to pull off an upset if this team can play some consistent and determined football. Emotionally, they have nothing to lose. The season is lost. They are playing for pride now. My prediction is that if Western is blown out in this game, they will finish winless.

Bob
Lots of "ifs" to this game. IF the offense can play like they did against ISUr at home, IF the cold and nastiness affects a team used to playing indoors, IF the defense can get the play scheme right so we don't get stung by long passes....I could see us pulling this one out. But, since nobody knows which team is going to come out of our locker room Saturday I'm not putting any high hopes on this. I'd rather expect crushing disappointment and be pleasantly surprised than I the wins I thought probable and got crushing disappointment. That's just me, though.
letsgonecks

This is more future roster related, but does have to do with this game.

Hopefully Norris and/or Thompson is back at RB. Schippers who's already appeared in 4 games shouldn't see the field the rest of the year to retain his red-shirt. No reason burning a year on this season as he looks pretty good for a true freshman. Otherwise, Gavin, Ratko, Drake and maybe Fuchs.

Rowland who's started the last 2 weeks at LG has 2 games left before burning his red-shirt.

True Fresh DB Tryvis Ousley has 1 game left of his 4.

True Soph DB Jarren Jackson also has 2 games left and could red-shirt.

As discussed previously, Wheel should be red-shirted and back next year.

Also noticed R-FR OL Cristian Williams is no longer on the roster. Originally on the 2 deep behind Hopp, but not sure he ever appeared.
Neckfan

it will be a good time to pick up a win. no need to quit now, yall are very capeable of beating south dakota just need everything to click for a change. this team should be about 4-4 right now but injuries and bad breaks have hurt. but every saturday is another chance to spoil someones day and pull off the upset, go hard necks and pick up a win.
wiu712

Football hosts second-to-last home game against the South Dakota Coyotes.
From the Western Courier:
https://westerncourier.com/45961/sports ... a-coyotes/
wiu712

South Dakota tries to right the ship at winless Western Illinois.
From the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 127531002/
meganeck

Wow... what a game. Congrats to the team on staying together and beating South Dakota, couldn't beat a better team.

On the last play Danny and Tom were both screaming, I had no idea what was happening.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Did....did.....did that just happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
leatherneckcountry

The best part is all the USD fans trying to chase bob out of town after acting like he was there savior just a couple years ago.