2020 Roster Changes

meganeck

xman wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:10 pm I know one of the rs freshman O-Lineman is transferring, Cade Kelly one of the Oklahoma kids.
I appeciate the coaches trying to expand their recruiting areas but this is one of the downfalls, you recruit kids from far away, then most of them don't end of staying. It doesn't surprise me that their is going to be a mass exodus, which isn't going to be good because then you are almost starting over in year 3.
Neckfansince71

It is far from a mass exodus! This type of thing happens every year and is part of the "weeding out" process. We need immediate help to right the "good ship" WIU! ;) jc
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Neckfansince71 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:30 pm It is far from a mass exodus! This type of thing happens every year and is part of the "weeding out" process. We need immediate help to right the "good ship" WIU! ;) jc
Yeah, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary at this point.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
xman

meganeck wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:52 pm
xman wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:10 pm I know one of the rs freshman O-Lineman is transferring, Cade Kelly one of the Oklahoma kids.
I appreciate the coaches trying to expand their recruiting areas but this is one of the downfalls, you recruit kids from far away, then most of them don't end of staying. It doesn't surprise me that their is going to be a mass exodus, which isn't going to be good because then you are almost starting over in year 3.
FWIW, my son is one of the other Oklahoma kids and he loves the program and culture at Western. He's super excited for the future and his chance to start contributing on the field. The attrition rate of D1 football players is very high already, and its due to numerous reasons.
sealhall74

I will bet my last bottom dollar that kids from smaller high schools who were real studs on the field, maybe even on both sides of the ball, are more likely to transfer out to a lower level if they are not getting much PT in their first 2 years at the D1 level.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

xman wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:37 am
meganeck wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:52 pm
I appreciate the coaches trying to expand their recruiting areas but this is one of the downfalls, you recruit kids from far away, then most of them don't end of staying. It doesn't surprise me that their is going to be a mass exodus, which isn't going to be good because then you are almost starting over in year 3.
FWIW, my son is one of the other Oklahoma kids and he loves the program and culture at Western. He's super excited for the future and his chance to start contributing on the field. The attrition rate of D1 football players is very high already, and its due to numerous reasons.
Good to hear your son is liking things here. Distance can be an issue sometimes, but if a player is really "buying in" to the program and the school, they'll stick around. A few years back we had a big group of guys from Arizona that were pretty good...JC Baker, Hi-C Scott, Aaron Diggs, Myles Spearman. QB Trenton Norvell and DL Gavin Ricketts were from Florida, etc.

We've obviously had success with local-ish players...Chicago and St. Louis areas...KC and Indy, but if you can find a "niche" where there's players who are under-recruited, you can have success...even if that area is a ways away. Arizona was one for us in the past, lately it's been places like Minneapolis, Kansas, and Oklahoma. If you look at the schools that are there, you have Minnesota, Kansas, K-State, Oklahoma, OK State...then what? Any G5 schools there?...nope. How about FCS?...negative. Of course, some of those kids in that range are going to go to schools in places like Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas, but there's still going to be a handful of decent kids that will get missed when there's no other lower FBS or FCS teams in the region.

You've always had guys who maybe aren't getting as much playing time as they'd like and end up transferring to maybe a DII school, so they can play right away. You also have to remember that within the last couple of years, they added the "Grad Transfer" rule, which gives players the chance to work on a secondary degree from another institution (which can be important depending on the field) without having to sit out a year. This is great for the student-athletes, although can make it tough for the schools when they lose a player who has been a starter for multiple years. On the other hand, we're also likely to get a few players from the grad transfer rule as well. This last year, RB Deontez Thompson, DB JT Wahee, and RB Jared Drake (who was a team captain and all-MVFC long-snapper) joined us for their final year of eligibility. You can't really build a team on transfers, but it definitely helps if you have a few spots that you're a bit "thin" at.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that this is pretty much the normal situation for most FCS schools these days.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Oh...saw this too.
Kahlil Overton, Freshman WR from Dallas, TX, is transferring
I'd imagine his twin brother Cameron probably will be doing the same thing. This one is kinda disappointing, since I was looking forward to what they could do together on the field over the next few years.

EDIT - and as expected...

sealhall74

Recruiting parochial school kids from Texas is a crap shoot. The Parochial school league TAPPS is watered down with a lot of very small schools. The Overtons played at Parish Episcopal which is one of the larger schools at around 1k kids, typically does well but plays a very soft schedule til playoffs. This year, they are deep in the playoffs getting ready to play at the Star in in Dallas this weekend, where the Cowboys call their headquarters and practice facility. Playing at Hanson Field probably seemed like playing in thier Dad's backyard.

Ooops, wires crossed. Parish Episopal is playing for the TAPPS championship this weekend but it is NOT at the Star. Public league playoff going on there.

https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/
Last edited by sealhall74 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Embrace the pace of the race.
xman

Yep, just saw that myself about the Overton twins, and its a bummer. I've been around both of them and they seemed like good kids, wish them both the best of luck. Like you said Scott, if a kid doesn't want to be a part of the program then the team as a whole is better off without them being around.
GV Dad

[media][