2020 Roster Changes

Western_101

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:29 pm QB LT Beck (from Burlington) has transferred to Valparaiso for next season. Redshirted last year for us.
How does that work exactly with Valpo being one of the ridiculous no football scholarship schools that is still somehow classified as D-I?

Not to disparage (oh who am I kidding of course I'm trying to disparage) but has this kid seen Valpo's brand of football? Then again being part of a 1-11 team........ :cry:
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:02 pm
WIU2DC wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:06 pm
ST_Lawson wrote:QB LT Beck (from Burlington) has transferred to Valparaiso for next season. Redshirted last year for us.
Does that put us back to 2 QBs and 1 Freshman QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's one more:
Senior Connor Sampson
Junior (?) Christian Carter (played 2 years at Merrimack, transferring to WIU, might have to sit out this year unless he's a grad transfer)
Sophomore Henry Ogala (transferred from Lincoln University, redshirted last year)
Freshman Clay Bruno (from Rochester, IL)
Also, true Fresh Jake Smith from Canton IL. I believe he's a walkon. We're in good shape at QB.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Roster is updating and visible if you change the year. Might still be updating and adding, but good to start talking football!!!!!

A few position changes, a few extra transfers I haven't seen yet, and not too many missing names we weren't expecting.

Biggest missing name to me would be TE Gabe Angel. Not sure how important TE's are in our schemes passing game, but our leading TE receiver last year with upside. Maybe the big bodied Washington can fill that field stretching TE role after switching from WR.

Surprised to see Michael Ross after he entered the transfer portal, but liked his play as a freshman, so good to have him back competing. Another suprise was Fr LB Brandon Pruitt, who was signed with Navy. Maybe he talked to the 4 Navy transfers we have coming in. We 4 solid incoming Fr LB's (Cross, DelaCruz, Cook, Pruitt), so the future looks bright there.

Should be lots of competition on defense as the rosters are pretty full at every level. Plenty of returning guys and lots of transfers to come and compete.
letsgonecks

Looks like Safety Demetri Royer is no longer on the roster. Believe he was granted a 6th year and started 11 games for us last year.

Brought in a new DB transfer from Iowa State in Keontae Jones. Listed as a safety on their website.

Also, added Illinois DB transfer Joseph Thompson, who was listed at safety. We have him as Soph, but looks like he redshirted last year and has some injury history.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 148979558/

Jake Detiveaux has moved over to the OL.
WIU2DC

letsgonecks wrote:Looks like Safety Demetri Royer is no longer on the roster. Believe he was granted a 6th year and started 11 games for us last year.

Brought in a new DB transfer from Iowa State in Keontae Jones. Listed as a safety on their website.

Also, added Illinois DB transfer Joseph Thompson, who was listed at safety. We have him as Soph, but looks like he redshirted last year and has some injury history.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 148979558/

Jake Detiveaux has moved over to the OL.
Man, I hope we can safely have a fall football season. I’m excited for this team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

kinda a roster change:
Justin Fitzpatrick has been named Director of Football Operations and Creative Solutions: https://goleathernecks.com/sports/footb ... trick/2401

So it sounds like he'll be doing what Holden Boyle was doing previously but also taking advantage of his creative video and graphic talents for promotional stuff.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WR John Brunner is no longer on the roster. He joined us in 2018 as a Junior (JUCO transfer from Butler CC). Last year he redshirted due to injury. He was supposed to be a senior and probably one of our top WR's this year, but with the current situation, he must have decided to either try his final year elsewhere, or it's possible he's finished his degree and is just looking to move on with his life.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 pm WR John Brunner is no longer on the roster. He joined us in 2018 as a Junior (JUCO transfer from Butler CC). Last year he redshirted due to injury. He was supposed to be a senior and probably one of our top WR's this year, but with the current situation, he must have decided to either try his final year elsewhere, or it's possible he's finished his degree and is just looking to move on with his life.
I was looking forward to having him, Houston and Tate all healthy and on the field at the same time. Best of luck to him.
GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:09 pm
ST_Lawson wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:23 pm WR John Brunner is no longer on the roster. He joined us in 2018 as a Junior (JUCO transfer from Butler CC). Last year he redshirted due to injury. He was supposed to be a senior and probably one of our top WR's this year, but with the current situation, he must have decided to either try his final year elsewhere, or it's possible he's finished his degree and is just looking to move on with his life.
I was looking forward to having him, Houston and Tate all healthy and on the field at the same time. Best of luck to him.
Ya, JB was a legit D1 WR. Best of luck to him! There are several other SRs that will make the decision to move on to the next Chapters of their lives. Sad that thye didn't get a SR day, but maybe we will have something this Spring and be able to honor them.