National Signing Day 2020

GV Dad

My favorite 5, no particular order.

Darriell Wells- Maybe a day 1 started at CB. Love his length and athleticism.

Shawn Lee- Just a beast on the DL. We have pretty good depth already at NG, but he may see time next season. Likely a RS season though.

JuJuan Boyd- Great athlete from a great program in NW Ark. Hopefully we can get a few of his teammates in the years to come. We are so thin at CB, this could could play early. If he does, he'll be learning on the job, so expect some mistakes early. But this kid could wind up being the best fo the class, and a future All American. He's that talented.

Chod Morrow- Immediate help on the OL, if nothing else, just to push the current OTs in Spring. Started at LT for Butler CC last season. Butler is a great program in one of the top JUCO conferences in the country. He's the 3rd player we've gotten from them in the last 2 years. The first 2 started in their first season; Ross and Brunner. Look for this kid to push for a starting spot in the Spring. We have a ton of young Bulls on the OL; Chod buys them a year or two of development time.

Dallas Daniels- Another long athletic player, from a great JUCO program. May or may not be a base package starter, but he will be on the field a ton! Really liking our WR group right now!
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am Also, this guy says he's "official":
Garret Steffen, DE from Altoona HS, Fall Creek, WI
6'4", 230lb
https://www.hudl.com/profile/7823888/Garret-Steffen

We have several guys like Garret that signed but were not announced. I have zero inside knowledge of this, but the opinion seems to be these are PWOs. I like this kid and also the QB from Canton IL Jake Smith. Plays like Sean Mcguire.
letsgonecks

ST_Lawson wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 am
Neckfansince71 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 am Soooo, how did we do? ;) jc
Let me look into things and I'll get back to you in 2-3 years ;)

I mean, it seems like we've got some talent in there...some guys that had offers from other DI schools, some decent transfers, etc. But you never really know until they get here, start going to classes, getting practice sessions in, etc. Some are going to do great, some will get some playing time, and some probably won't ever see the field in a game (at Western).

If you're looking for things like offers and "stars", here's what I can find:
Isaiah Bellamy - offers from UMass, Troy, Jacksonville State
JaJuan Boyd - 2 stars (247Sports), offers from Bowling Green and Missouri State
Ludovick Choquette - 3 stars (247Sports), offers from Buffalo, Colorado State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (but those were all last summer)
Chastin Cross - 2 stars (247Sports), offer from UMass
Juan Delacruz - 3 stars (247Sports), offer from Toledo
Shawn Lee - 2 stars (247Sports)
Chod Morrow - offer from Louisiana Tech
Here is a little more background on some of the JC guys.

Bellamy was originally a 3 start and committed to Central Florida as a TE, but didn't enroll.
Levon Barnett was originally a 2 star with highest offer from Toledo and signed with Florida A&M, but didn't enroll.
Tyquan Coleman was originally a 2 star with highest offer from Nevada, but spent redshirt year at DII Central Washington.
Dallas Daniels was originally a 2/3 star, but not seeing any official offer out of HS.
Lucas Nunez was originally a 3 star with highest offer from Buffalo and committed to Sacred Heart. Had 12 catches for 119 and a TD as a freshman.
Clayton Scott was originally a 2 start with highest offer from Rutgers, but ended up at Sacred Heart with Nunez and they both went JC at Monroe.
Alaric Wooten didn't have any stars or offers I could find out of HS. Found some stuff about visits to Youngstown and Michigan State, but not sure if either were considered official. Looks to have had an offer out of JC from San Jose State.
Last edited by letsgonecks on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GV Dad

ST_Lawson wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 pm
From what I read on this kid, Arkansas wanted him, but wanted him as a hand on the ground DE. Problem was he couldn't gain the weight (wish I had that prob). So they never offered. He's maybe a step slow to play OLB in the SEC, but he may be a great one for us. Likely play Buck in our current scheme.
GV Dad

Juan Delacruz, LB from Gurnee IL is also an intriguing player. If you watch his film, he's a stud. His recruitment was pretty quiet, which always makes you wonder why? Hopefully grades aren't an issue.
letsgonecks

Is Tim Donnahue coming in as walk-on or just not officially signed. Another Monroe JC guy that would bring some help at LB. Just checking.

Top gets for me are Morrow, Bellamy, Scott and Wells.

We have some potential young talent on the OL that could step up, but unless Woodard makes a huge jump, we need help at RT. Woodard was beat often off the edge, when he wasn't false starting. Not writing him off and hope he progresses, but major need.

Need some pressure off the edge on D. Not expecting senior year Swenson numbers, but makes a big difference in the passing game. Hoping Bellamy can be that guy. Listed as DE, but thinking he could be an OLB rushing off the edge. To this point guys like Preston, Watts and Shaw haven't showed they can be that guy. Maybe Burns fills that role as well on passing downs.

Think Scott could be a workhorse at RB. Glad they brought in a few guys, but think he could be legit.

I'm excited about all the DB's. Thought they played slow as a whole last year and the lack of pressure didn't help. Hope they're all studs, but like GVD, I'm really liking wells.

WR's aren't too shabby either, but protection and who's throwing will be the biggest difference maker next year. Is Houston coming back? Anyone word on Brunner applying for a medical hardship waiver?
GV Dad

Brunner will be back
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

GV Dad wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:11 pmWe have several guys like Garret that signed but were not announced. I have zero inside knowledge of this, but the opinion seems to be these are PWOs.
That's my guess too. I've been trying to keep an eye out for these guys and post when I see stuff on twitter. Seems like guys are a bit less likely to tweet about PWO's unless it's a big P5 school or something.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
meganeck

Has anyone seen any rankings on our class - i know it doesn't really matter, but still interesting. I saw that 247 sports said UNI had the best recruiting class in the MVC, but i couldn't find the complete list of rankings for MVC by them.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

meganeck wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:20 pm Has anyone seen any rankings on our class - i know it doesn't really matter, but still interesting. I saw that 247 sports said UNI had the best recruiting class in the MVC, but i couldn't find the complete list of rankings for MVC by them.
This hasn't been updated since late January, so it's pretty much just early signees on the list, but this will be where the rankings should be eventually: https://herosports.com/fcs/football-202 ... kings-ajaj
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000