Martinez Davis Named 3rd Team Preseason All-American

letsgonecks

Good for Martinez to get some much deserved recognition. Preseason awards carry no weight for the upcoming season, but again good to get recognition for his hard work and success in the past few seasons.

Hopefully he's on the first team come seasons end. Along with a handful of other Leathernecks.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... 4-team.htm
BamBamfootball2

Congratulations to Martinez, on making 3rd team Preseason All-American. Your hard work has definitely paid off. When people make stupid remarks such as "preseason award carry no weight for the upcoming season" they definitely don't understand some of the records you have broken especially when your name is in the record books and you have started since you were a freshman and have never lost your position to anyone.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Hey, no need to call someone else's comments stupid.

I think the point he was trying to make is that preseason awards are not going to cause a player to have more TDs, yards, INTs, or help the team win more games. That's all up to the players, how hard they train leading up to the season, and how well they perform during gametime. Obviously Martinez has put in a LOT of hard work to get to where he is and be successful. We're all just hoping to see more of the same (and maybe even a step up from) last year's success.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Thanks for the clarifying Scott. Didn't mean to upset you Bam. Just my personal optinion that preseason rankings of teams and players mean nothing "in regards to the upcoming season". They're basically done for fun by sports writers and publications to get everyone excited and talking about the upcoming season. And like I said, it's fun to do. I did it last year and was thinking of doing it again, where we vote on each position as to whom we feel will have the best year.

And again, great for Martinez. He's been a stud for our program and expect him to have an amazing year....First team All-American hopefully.
BamBamfootball2

Apology for the "stupid" comment. Scott I totally understand everything you said about Martinez and the leatherneck football team.

To Leathernecks, I am looking forward to you conducting your poll on each position to whom we feel will have the best year. Please start it soon as possible and lets have some fun!!!!!!
letsgonecks

No probs Bam. I should have just left that statement out or did a better job explaining my optinion as it took away from well earned and hard to get recognition.
leatherneckbulldog

Bam you should not have apologize. The statement letsgonecks made sounds like a cheap shot towards Martinez. It was gratitude followed by criticism. I think it was great of you to call him out on it, poor taste on his part.
letsgonecks

Was not a cheap shot, if you read it completely, I gave him praise for the work he's done and said it was much deserved. I'm looking forward to him having a great year and earning an even higher honor for the work he does. I was just stating my opinion on the use of preseason rankings and preseason All-Anything teams. Maybe I should have worded it better, but also not that hard to understand and see I was not knocking Martinez.

If you look negativity.......you'll always find it.

I love this team and love WIU more than anything. I'm consumed by sports and my wife pretty much hates me for it, but knows thats who I am. I've been a die hard Packers and Mets (sadly) fan my whole life, but only a Leatherneck for 15 years and they are by far my favorite and where I invest my time.

So, misunderstand me, but don't believe I'd ever be negative towards WIU or someone that is doing great things for this University.
Play-To-Win

Congrat's to Davis and his Family I know they have to be very proud of him he is one of my favorite players look forward to see him play this upcoming season
BamBamfootball2

Thanks leatherneckbulldog for having my back on this one. Letsgonecks and myself always seem to get into a heated debate but we never take it personal. I'm quite sure that this debate will not be the last one either but I do feel since he rephrased his remarks I think we are on the same page. Letsgonecks my Chicago Bear are looking forward to seeing your Green Bay Packers on Sep 28,2014.