2020 Season

letsgonecks

LeatherCy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:32 pm Read today the Sun Belt will allow their schools to play four non conference games. Our AD should be on the phone with Sun Belt schools. EIU would bring back an old rivalry also.
I posted back in mid July on the schedule thread about this potential situation and my thoughts were trying to schedule a game with NIU. They lost 2 with the Big 10 (also lost RI) and currently have an opening on Sept 26. That is our bye week, so open to play and as of now the MAC has not restricted non-conference play.

They could probably come to a pretty cheap agreement with us as the travel expenses wouldn't be too much. We get to play an FBS team, no flights to worry about, maybe make a few bucks and hopefully have a competitive game.

I'm sure other FCS regional teams are thinking the same if the games they lost or byes are open during NIU's 3 current vacancies. If NIU is looking to fill games, I'm sure they'll only be scheduling 1 from the FCS, so might be a fight to the lowest payday. If we can't swing that and can get EIU, lets do it.
wiu712

The NCAA has left the decision on whether or not to hold fall sports championships up to each division.

The college sports governing body said Wednesday that Divisions I, II, and III as well as the FCS must decide by August 21 the fate of any post-season national championship tournaments.

At least 50% of the eligible schools in a division must participate in that sport for a championship to be held.
wiu712

The Missouri Valley Football Conference Presidents Council is meeting Thursday morning, which was an originally scheduled meeting.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

The MVFC meeting was postponed, which doesn't sound great.

Also there's this:
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

Big Sky has voted not to play football this fall. I don’t see how a season happens now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wiu712

WIU2DC wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:47 pm Big Sky has voted not to play football this fall. I don’t see how a season happens now.
The Big Sky is looking at a 8-game conference football season in the spring. But programs would have the option to play 3 non-conference games in the fall.
WIU2DC

wiu712 wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:47 pm Big Sky has voted not to play football this fall. I don’t see how a season happens now.
The Big Sky is looking at a 8-game conference football season in the spring. But programs would have the option to play 3 non-conference games in the fall.
So they can play 3 non-conference games and their fall season “ends” to play 8 conference games in the spring? That makes no sense.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 am Man, I hope we can safely have a fall football season. I’m excited for this team!

It's not going to happen...not in the fall anyway. They might try to figure out a way to make spring football work, but with the Pioneer League cancelling and likely the Big Sky announcing their cancellation of the fall season a little later today, the FCS will be below the threshold for holding a playoff/championship. At that point, I think you'll see all the FCS drop the idea of fall football and make a concerted push for spring football in the March-May timeframe.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
WIU2DC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 am Man, I hope we can safely have a fall football season. I’m excited for this team!

It's not going to happen...not in the fall anyway. They might try to figure out a way to make spring football work, but with the Pioneer League cancelling and likely the Big Sky announcing their cancellation of the fall season a little later today, the FCS will be below the threshold for holding a playoff/championship. At that point, I think you'll see all the FCS drop the idea of fall football and make a concerted push for spring football in the March-May timeframe.
I think you are correct too, but I’m holding onto hope that it still happens because I’m not ready for that likely truthful scenario yet.

letsgonecks

WIU2DC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 am
letsgonecks wrote:Looks like Safety Demetri Royer is no longer on the roster. Believe he was granted a 6th year and started 11 games for us last year.

Brought in a new DB transfer from Iowa State in Keontae Jones. Listed as a safety on their website.

Also, added Illinois DB transfer Joseph Thompson, who was listed at safety. We have him as Soph, but looks like he redshirted last year and has some injury history.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 148979558/

Jake Detiveaux has moved over to the OL.
Man, I hope we can safely have a fall football season. I’m excited for this team!

If all FCS conferences cancel their seasons, maybe we play an all FCS Illinois schedule and see if both D2 schools (Quincy/McKendree) want to join since they're already cancelled. Only 6 teams, so 5 games, but maybe play every other week for testing purposes and setup some end of year 4 team championship tournament (would hope it would be the 4 FCS teams).

Would eliminate flights and travelling to other states. Would be cooler if it included the 3 FBS teams instead of the D2, but they're more likely to have seasons at this point.

I just really want some WIU football, but understand health and safety is more important. If it has to be spring, I'll take that over nothing.