Spring 2021 - Week 3 - at South Dakota State

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Image AT Image
Saturday, March 6 at 2 PM
Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium, Brookings, SD
Weather Forecast at Kickoff (as of 3/1) - 54° and clear, ~14 mph wind, 0% chance of precipitation

WIU Radio: Mixlr
SDSU Radio: Jackrabbits All-Access, Tune-In Radio
TV/Video Stream: Jackrabbits All-Access
Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=324205

Game Notes: Western Illinois, South Dakota State

Last week didn't go quite how we would have liked, but now we're on to the next opponent. This time, we're making our first of two trips to the Dakotas to take on the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State. SDSU comes into this game at 1-1 after a narrow 24-20 win at UNI to open the season, followed by a surprising 28-17 loss at new MVFC team North Dakota. This game is SDSU's home opener, so for anyone who might be looking at attending this game, here's the information and procedures for this spring season.

Last full season (2019), SDSU finished 8-5 after a 13-10 loss in the playoffs against UNI. They were picked third in the conference preseason poll going into this season, and they have five players that were named to the preseason team: RB Pierre Strong Jr., DL Reece Winkelman, LB Logan Backhaus, and DB Don Gardner. On the honorable mention list, they have QB J'Bore Gibbs, OL Wes Genant, DL Xavier Ward, DB Michael Griffin II, and RS Jaxon Janke. Despite QB Gibbs getting a preseason honor, it's been freshman QB Mark Gronowski (from Naperville, IL) who's been the team's QB for their first two games. He's averaging 251.5 ypg with 141.7 efficiency (35 of 61 passes with 2 INTs and 4 TDs). Twin WRs Jaxon and Jadon Janke lead the team in receiving with 95 and 64.5 ypg respectively and Jaxon having 3 receiving TDs. RB Pierre Strong Jr. averages 93 ypg on the ground and has a few receiving catches including 1 TD. LB Logan Backhaus leads the team in tackles with 16 total (10 solo) and 3 for loss.

Obviously, we're going to have our work cut out for us. None of the traditional "top teams" of the MVFC look unbeatable this year, but they still have a distinct advantage over us in offensive production (based on what we've seen so far this year). The defense is really going to be tested against one of the best offenses in the league.

Current Predictions
Massey Ratings gives us about a 17% chance of winning, with a predicted score of 31-17 for the Jackrabbits.
Sagarin Rankings lists us at #198 out of all DI teams, with South Dakota State at #88. SDSU is a 93% favorite to win.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

Has there been an injury report for tomorrow's game? Updated lineup? Here's hoping we limit the stupid penalties - how different the end of last week's game could have been without them (#67, I'm looking at you!). :ugeek:
letsgonecks

Interview I read said, RB Gavin is the only one out from last weeks injuries.

Yeah, Henson really made the Hopp transfer portal hurt. In his defense, I'm pretty sure its his second ever college game. Not sure if his one DII game in 2018 was a start or simple appearance, so probably some nerves and game rust.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:08 pm Has there been an injury report for tomorrow's game? Updated lineup? Here's hoping we limit the stupid penalties - how different the end of last week's game could have been without them (#67, I'm looking at you!). :ugeek:
Don't know if the depth chart has injuries taken into consideration, but here's the game notes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... State_.pdf
Depth chart is on page 11
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
letsgonecks

Connor only throws first look and not seeing the DL on the screen is not good.

Might get out of control today, so should hopefully get a look at Ogala.
letsgonecks

Finally goes through his reads and has a guy wide open.......but misses badly.

Not saying he's not the guy or Ogala is, but not seeing any it factors yet.
rocki

This is horrible.
sealhall74

My gut told me this was going to happen so that is why me and the wife stayed home instead of taking the 8 hour drive to brookings.

I learned my lesson at the last one when Goedert when ape shit crazy on us.
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

Another bad pass on slant that was wide open for a first.
letsgonecks

Both lbs caught in the same gap and swallowed up. They have a solid line, but come on.