Spring 2021 - Week 3 - at South Dakota State

letsgonecks

I'm back, Tate streaks uncovered down the seam with no safety, instead Connor decides to throw a pick. Nice play by the defense, but shouldn't have been throw, read was right in front of him. Bet he already decided his WR on the play.
sealhall74

on 3rd and 4th down, how about running routes that get to 1st down marker.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Obviously the O line needs a lot of work. Still think Ogala should get a starting chance, no just stuck in there when we're getting creamed with no chance of a comeback.
WIU2DC

When is Elliot’s contract up? If soon, do we give him an extension trying to let him get a squad on the field that can win or do we move onto someone else?

Unless there is a major turn around, we have a very good chance of going 0-8 this season. 1-11, and an 0-8 season. At what point do we move in a different direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rocki

No clue when Elliot's contract is up, but this whole spring football thing has me confused.

Who is back in the fall, and who leaves? Do we basically consider this a "throw away" season since the team seems to have just been kind of tossed together? Providing football is allowed this fall, do we have the makings of a more cohesive team which can actually produce or are we just spitting into the wind - again? :?
wiu712

#8 South Dakota State won the game 45-10.

87 Rushing yards for Western.

Attendance at South Dakota State = 2,347.

Next game will be at Hanson Field on Saturday vs North Dakota. Game time is 12 Noon.
WIU2DC

rocki wrote:No clue when Elliot's contract is up, but this whole spring football thing has me confused.

Who is back in the fall, and who leaves? Do we basically consider this a "throw away" season since the team seems to have just been kind of tossed together? Providing football is allowed this fall, do we have the makings of a more cohesive team which can actually produce or are we just spitting into the wind - again? :?
So I would assume most of this team will be back in the fall because the transfer portal is a disaster already. So, the chances of them getting on another roster would be tough. Also, where is the Auburn RB? DL from Texas? Not that the freshman and Gavin haven’t been playing well... but we got a 1,000 yard rusher from the SEC. why hasn’t he seen the field?

wiu712

South Dakota State too much for Western Illinois.
From the McDonough County Voice:
https://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/story/sp ... 614274001/

South Dakota State rolls over Western Illinois in football home opener.
From the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 895783002/
rocki

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 pm
rocki wrote:No clue when Elliot's contract is up, but this whole spring football thing has me confused.

So I would assume most of this team will be back in the fall because the transfer portal is a disaster already. So, the chances of them getting on another roster would be tough. Also, where is the Auburn RB? DL from Texas? Not that the freshman and Gavin haven’t been playing well... but we got a 1,000 yard rusher from the SEC. why hasn’t he seen the field?

This is part of what has me confused. Are we "saving" them until fall? If they play in the spring would that take away some of their eligibility?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Regarding eligibility, this spring season doesn't count. Athletes can play the entire season if they want to (and if the coach wants them to) without losing any eligibility. That includes all DI athletes in all sports (https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus- ... oronavirus), so football, but also basketball, baseball, softball, etc.

So, from an eligibility standpoint, there's no reason to not play in the spring. If, however, a football player has a history of injury or might be recovering from something, it might make sense to sit them in the spring season, so they don't have to play 19 (or more for teams that make the playoffs) games in a span of ~9 months. A regular full season can be rough enough...adding another 3/4 of a season instead of regular spring football practice + spring game can be a recipe for a much higher number of injuries than you usually see. I don't know if any of the guys we haven't seen yet have any more injury risk than anyone else, but that could be a reason.

As for Coach Elliott, I think his original contract was 3 years, which under normal conditions would have expired January 2021 after 3 regular football seasons (barring possible extension). I don't know what his contract specifically states, but I would not be surprised if he was given an extra year to try to prove himself with the situation. I don't think you can really count this season as representative of much...no OOC games, Indiana State not playing, UND and SIU looking like the top teams in the conference with NDSU and SDSU a bit behind. I know things are disappointing this year so far, and unfortunately are likely to continue to be, but I don't think one more year is unreasonable to either prove himself or show that he's just not going to be "the guy". That would be 3 "regular" seasons and this spring season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000