Spring 2021 - Week 5 - at Illinois State

leatherneckcountry

vatusay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 pm Wasn’t Elliot a low level coach for fisher when hired? Did anyone really expect better results? I tried to be optimistic, but it didn’t take the psychic ability of miss Cleo to see these results coming. It is what it is. Hopefully WIU can get a candidate worth a darn next round like the basketball program and Coach Jeter/his staff.
He was a QB coach under Hendrickson for his last year then went to carthage college as there OC before coming back under Fisher.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 pm Wasn’t Elliot a low level coach for fisher when hired? Did anyone really expect better results? I tried to be optimistic, but it didn’t take the psychic ability of miss Cleo to see these results coming. It is what it is. Hopefully WIU can get a candidate worth a darn next round like the basketball program and Coach Jeter/his staff.
He had been OC for 2 years before getting the reigns turned over to him. I was hoping we'd get lucky with him, but I was pretty nervous that it wasn't going to work out. He'd only had 2 years as a GA at his alma mater (Miami OH) and one year as QB coach for us as his only DI experience before getting 2 years under Coach Fisher, and he didn't have any HC experience at any level.
I think a coach with no HC experience is ok if they have a decent amount of successful DI experience as a coordinator, or no DI experience if they have a decent amount of successful HC experience at the DII level, but he didn't really have much of either.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Ah, the GA at Miami Ohio is what I was thinking of. So going from GA at his alma matter to head coach in the best FCS conference in only three years. Not too shabby. If here next “season” I hope he can turn it around.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

vatusay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:34 pm Ah, the GA at Miami Ohio is what I was thinking of. So going from GA at his alma matter to head coach in the best FCS conference in only three years. Not too shabby. If here next “season” I hope he can turn it around.
He had other stops in between them, but I was making a point to emphasize DI experience or HC experience.
His entire coaching career is:
Missouri Southern State (DII) - WR Coach, 2 years
Miami (OH) (FBS) - GA, 2 years
Western Illinois - QB Coach, 1 year
Carthage College (DIII) - Co-OC, 3 years
Western Illinois - Assistant Coach, 1 year
Western Illinois - Co-OC, 1 year
Western Illinois - Head Coach, 3 years

It was technically 7 years between when he was a GA and a HC.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Illinois State football snares first win by downing Western Illinois.
From the Bloomington Pantagraph:
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colle ... fa3ec.html