2021 Roster Changes

GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 am
GV Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am
WIU2DC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:57 am
Looks like they haven’t put in everyone’s photo or their back story yet. But, are there any surprises that we didn’t know that was coming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A couple DB transfer surprises. We have about 50mon the roster, we should be able to find at least 6that can be playmakers.
In theory, yes, but concern is that each player gets enough time to prove themselves and the coaches have enough time to evaluate and find the best fits. Like when you go to a restaurant and the menu is huge and there's not enough time to find the best item.
I think 3 of the spots are set (Poe, Brooks and Lawson), the other 3 spots are up for grabs. Agreed, sometimes too many can be a bad thing, not a blessing. Probably another 9 players will be battling for the 3 spots.

Also, added some DL depth up the middle. the 4 DEs are pretty solid, but the inside competition is open. They moved 2 of the players back to DL the they had to move to OL in the Spring.

Added several new faces on the OL, badly needed depth. Hearing good things early, but a lot of kids look solid in t shirts. Let's see how they do when the hitting starts for real.

RB looks to be a very Athletic group. Added a couple of new kids to the group.

TE looks thin. Jack Whyte should be back and ready to go which will help. Probably 3 deep at TE.
WIU2DC

I see Brunner isn’t on the roster anymore. I wonder if he transferred or graduated. I always thought he was a UDFA talent and I don’t think he got picked up.

I am also hoping we get to see Tre Maronic on the field more this season too.

I’m also curious if we will see more 5 wide sets. I’d argue our most talents position are WRs this season. We also know Sampson can throw the ball 40 times a game. Heller and Mattingly are both new and their tapes look great with our already top wide outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GV Dad

Heller is still waiting to hear if he’s eligible. With the crazy year of 2020, I don’t think it will be an issue. Just waiting for the slow rusty wheels of the NCAA to get in motion.

May see some 5 wides, but I think Coach E’s offense will always have a TE or SB on the field.
letsgonecks

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am
GV Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am

A couple DB transfer surprises. We have about 50mon the roster, we should be able to find at least 6that can be playmakers.
In theory, yes, but concern is that each player gets enough time to prove themselves and the coaches have enough time to evaluate and find the best fits. Like when you go to a restaurant and the menu is huge and there's not enough time to find the best item.
I think 3 of the spots are set (Poe, Brooks and Lawson), the other 3 spots are up for grabs. Agreed, sometimes too many can be a bad thing, not a blessing. Probably another 9 players will be battling for the 3 spots.

Also, added some DL depth up the middle. the 4 DEs are pretty solid, but the inside competition is open. They moved 2 of the players back to DL the they had to move to OL in the Spring.

Added several new faces on the OL, badly needed depth. Hearing good things early, but a lot of kids look solid in t shirts. Let's see how they do when the hitting starts for real.

TE looks thin. Jack Whyte should be back and ready to go which will help. Probably 3 deep at TE.
I think Lawson is the only one locked in at DB. Brooks has a good shot, since he started all 6 games, but believe he got yanked the last game and then looked to transfer, so that doesn't help. Just think there are too many potential corners to lock him in. Powe has a shot too, with starts over the last 2 seasons, but hoping there's someone a bit better. Like him, but he seems a step too slow at times in the passing game and bit too small when in the box.

Only 2 other guys that I have penciled in as locks on D. Benton at LB and Mason at DE. Have some thoughts on all positions, but only these 3 guys seem to be locks. Had some new guys getting reps last year, but a weird season and smaller sample size and then we throw in tons of new faces for this season.

Could be really good, but too early and too many variable to be confident.
letsgonecks

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 am

I think Lawson is the only one locked in at DB. Brooks has a good shot, since he started all 6 games, but believe he got yanked the last game and then looked to transfer, so that doesn't help. Just think there are too many potential corners to lock him in. Powe has a shot too, with starts over the last 2 seasons, but hoping there's someone a bit better. Like him, but he seems a step too slow at times in the passing game and bit too small when in the box. He plays that hybrid safety position and that person is typically a tweener, but ideally only lacks in one or the other.

Only 2 other guys that I have penciled in as locks on D. Benton at LB and Mason at DE. Have some thoughts on all positions, but only these 3 guys seem to be locks. Had some new guys getting reps last year, but a weird season and smaller sample size and then we throw in tons of new faces for this season.

GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 am
letsgonecks wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:29 am

I think Lawson is the only one locked in at DB. Brooks has a good shot, since he started all 6 games, but believe he got yanked the last game and then looked to transfer, so that doesn't help. Just think there are too many potential corners to lock him in. Powe has a shot too, with starts over the last 2 seasons, but hoping there's someone a bit better. Like him, but he seems a step too slow at times in the passing game and bit too small when in the box. He plays that hybrid safety position and that person is typically a tweener, but ideally only lacks in one or the other.

I agree that there are a lot of potential replacements at CB, but they are all new players. I have learned not to count on any transfers until they perform on the field. Had my hopes up and been burned way too many times. Would love to be wrong and have some absolute lockdown studs at CB this season, that would make me very happy. Also, Poe is kind of a Hybrid DB/LB, and none of the new players really fit that mold. So unless they change the scheme, which is possible, he's pretty safe.
Necks2003

I just hope we have a QB that doesn't stare down every target on every given pass, and then still will overthrows virtually everything down the middle. Until we get a QB that doesn't rack up yardage and statistics during the garbage times of games.....none of the changes will likely matter. Hopefully one of the new transfers can step in and take over, but Elliot seems locked in to watching mediocre QB play ever since he took over the HC job.
letsgonecks

Necks2003 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:52 am I just hope we have a QB that doesn't stare down every target on every given pass, and then still will overthrows virtually everything down the middle. Until we get a QB that doesn't rack up yardage and statistics during the garbage times of games.....none of the changes will likely matter. Hopefully one of the new transfers can step in and take over, but Elliot seems locked in to watching mediocre QB play ever since he took over the HC job.
I haven't been overly impressed with Sampson the last 2 years, but hoping he makes a big leap this year. Hopefully the run game drastically improves this year and takes some pressure of him. Line didn't give to much room to run and backs didn't show any signs of burst or make a man miss moves. The extra year and few new bodies hopefully make a difference.

Things have to get better than a team average of 2.5 yards per carry. You can't have your 3 longest runs of the year be 15, 15, and 14. The worst part is the 15 yarders where by Tate and Sampson.
letsgonecks

A few new names on the roster and pictures added. Few guys still missing pictures, so wondering if they haven't showed yet or something holding them up. Maybe just not updated yet, but we'll see.
GV Dad

letsgonecks wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:37 pm A few new names on the roster and pictures added. Few guys still missing pictures, so wondering if they haven't showed yet or something holding them up. Maybe just not updated yet, but we'll see.
I noticed some new names as well.

Myles Wanza- Grad Transfer from Lamar. AP RB, with some good numbers. We seem to be the landing spot for several Grad transfers from Lamar. I'm hoping Coach Clark knows and likes all these transfers, as he was there just a couple seasons ago.

James Frenchie JR- SO Transfer from U of Illinois. 3 star Athlete from St Louis MO. We have him listed as a RB. Had some great offers out of HS, went to Illinois to play for his HS Coach who was also put on staff. Serious athletic ability, but what baggage is he bringing with him?

JJ Ross- SO transfer from Eastern Illinois. 3 team Freshman All American in 2019. Long athletic CB. Again, what baggage comes with the transfer?