2021 Roster Changes

letsgonecks

Ross was a pretty high recruit originally. Had some power 5 offers, committed to home team Cincy. His offer got pulled after he seemed to be questioning his commitment and them believing he wasn't 100% wanting to be a Bearcat. By that time all the other scholarships were filled and teams at their max 25 number or atleast the story goes.

Intrigued by Trae Drake. I have love for height challenged LB's and he had a decent season in 2019 at SELU. Doesn't hurt spending 2 years at Alabama as a walk-on either. Learning and practicing against the best.
bigdogdadjr

GV Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am
letsgonecks wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 am
GV Dad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:38 am

A couple DB transfer surprises. We have about 50mon the roster, we should be able to find at least 6that can be playmakers.
In theory, yes, but concern is that each player gets enough time to prove themselves and the coaches have enough time to evaluate and find the best fits. Like when you go to a restaurant and the menu is huge and there's not enough time to find the best item.
I think 3 of the spots are set (Poe, Brooks and Lawson), the other 3 spots are up for grabs. Agreed, sometimes too many can be a bad thing, not a blessing. Probably another 9 players will be battling for the 3 spots.

Also, added some DL depth up the middle. the 4 DEs are pretty solid, but the inside competition is open. They moved 2 of the players back to DL the they had to move to OL in the Spring.

Added several new faces on the OL, badly needed depth. Hearing good things early, but a lot of kids look solid in t shirts. Let's see how they do when the hitting starts for real.

RB looks to be a very Athletic group. Added a couple of new kids to the group.

TE looks thin. Jack Whyte should be back and ready to go which will help. Probably 3 deep at TE.
Having more bodies on OL is good. But left side of OL is still biggest question mark. Hopefully Coach Patterson can get some guys to step up and perform.
sealhall74

If you have an abundance of bodies and not necessarily any with overwhelming talent on the OL roster, I wonder if it would make any sense for a coach to play them all and sub them out frequently. While in the game, go 100% for a short series or set of downs. Then take a breather and prepare to go again. Could pay off come 4th quarter IMO. Anything we can do to have some semblance of a running attack would be a very good thing.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:58 pm If you have an abundance of bodies and not necessarily any with overwhelming talent on the OL roster, I wonder if it would make any sense for a coach to play them all and sub them out frequently. While in the game, go 100% for a short series or set of downs. Then take a breather and prepare to go again. Could pay off come 4th quarter IMO. Anything we can do to have some semblance of a running attack would be a very good thing.
Might work, as long as they all have a "minimum" level of ability. If you have guys that just aren't quite ready yet out there, you could have some d-linemen shooting right through and flattening your QB. A good D-line could do a lot of damage in just a short series.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
HoosierNeck13

Looking at the roster, the areas of concern are OL and QB; OL looks relatively young, and fairly small, and Sampson will need to play well, to have a successful season. How is the QB depth?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

R-Jr DB Akil Francisco (Transfer from Hawaii, played in 1 game this season) and Sr LB Trae Drake (transfer from Southeast Louisiana, played in 2 games this season) are no longer on the roster.
Francisco had 3 solo tackles and 2 assists against Ball State. Drake does not show up on the stats list for the season.

Also, Sr DB Terin Adams has switched numbers from 29 to 21.
letsgonecks

Looks like Brandon Frazier is no longer on the roster and was just recently removed.  He was actually on the recent 2 deep and started all 6 games last year with 3 appearances this year.  His profile the other day said only 2 appearance this year and wasn't showing YSU, but remember him getting held on YSU's first drive on the big QB run.

I know Pfeifffer has been getting some reps inside. Getting pretty thin inside, early here in the season.  Carson, Washington, and Arnold getting starts with Pfeiffer and Steffen getting some snaps recently. Bruce and Orubo only playing in Montana game, so hoping there's enough bodies, especially since we have some run heavy teams left on the schedule.
GV Dad

I hadn't heard about Frazier, that sucks.  Pfeiffer isn't getting DT or NG reps, only DE reps.  We only have 2 DEs right now, after Watts got hurt early.  They moved Hogeboom from LB to DE, so he's getting reps while he learns.  

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

letsgonecks wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:54 pm Looks like Brandon Frazier is no longer on the roster and was just recently removed.  He was actually on the recent 2 deep and started all 6 games last year with 3 appearances this year.  His profile the other day said only 2 appearance this year and wasn't showing YSU, but remember him getting held on YSU's first drive on the big QB run.

Frazier decided to opt out of the rest of the season to recover from an ankle injury. He'll be doing a grad transfer somewhere for his final season of eligibility.

Frazier is listed as playing in two games (Montana and Youngstown State) this season, with 2 assisted tackles against Montana.

WIU2DC

I don’t see this being the last one however, I don’t think he’s gotten much playing time for us this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk