Ball State

Leatherneck57

I’ll be there as the VIP. Looking forward to drinking GV Dad’s beer 😜
GV Dad

You're the VIP, you should be able to get us all free beer! Do you know what Hotel you are at yet?
letsgonecks

One week away!!!!

I'm always excited for a new season, but have a really good feeling about this squad. Feels as though the line has improved with Brandon back and some new additions. Not sure on the 2 deep, but having 9 guys on the OL that have started FCS games (not counting Dolan who has DII starts), is great. Starting 5 should make some room for our improved backfield. Might even see a RB with a run longer than 14 yards the first week.

We know our WR's are legit and Sampson looks to be in great physical shape, which hopefully translates to better movement in and out of the pocket to extend and make plays.

Reports on the DE's is exciting, just hope the guys in the middle take a huge step forward this year. Have some potential with the guys back and additions. Have to limit the run.

Think Martin is a huge addition along side Benton at LB and our DB unit has the potential to be top rate, especially with consistent pressure on the QB.

Now to the game.

This will be a tough test out the gate, facing the current MAC champ and 2021 favorite. They return a really good passing offense in QB Pitt (career: 6520 yards, 50TD to 24 INT), speedy WR Hall (257 Rec, 2772 yards, 13 TD, 610 rushing, 4 TD) and Tyler (83 rec, 1337 yards, 15 TD). They return 2 backs with starts last year and nothing eye popping, but everyone seemed to be eye popping verse us last year and the year prior. Top back last year Huntley killed it the first three games, missed the rest of the season and is now in the NFL with the Falcons.

Their D has some studs, but gave up about as many yards as they gained and more so in the passing. Getting out passed can probably be attributed to winning and leading all but 1 game.

They do have the advantage of some inside information. TJ Wahee should have some helpful insight practicing as a redshirt with us in 2019. D Coordinator Tyler Stockton (big fan) coached and recruited some of our guys and under Elliott (2016-2018). I'm sure he'll have his guys ready for the Elliott Jet Sweep. Their staff also includes Josh Zidenberg and Vic Hall who were on Elliott's 2018 staff. Much different roster since those days, but their insight into Elliott and Rocco could be beneficial.

I think we keep it close enough and see a much improved team from last year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

ST_Lawson wrote:
Are there any surprises here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WIU2DC

OFFENSE: 1st string: 8 seniors, 2 juniors, and 1 sophomore.
2nd String: 6 seniors, 2 juniors, and 3 Sophomores

Defense: 1st string: 4 seniors (3 of 5 DBs), 5 juniors, 2 sophomores.
2nd string: 9 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore.

letsgonecks

Surprised we're seeing this info a week early. Historically we don't typically see the 2 deep playout as stated, but some surprises.

Offense:
Jones wasn't mentioned during any of the news and looked like Carter was playing LT from most the pictures.
Expected was to see Ross on the 2 deep at G.
Wasn't sure Skinner would be on there.

Defense:
Bruce starting at Nose, but love his size.
Not seeing LB transfer Martin listed.
Crumitie over Powe at the Star, but thought he was going to be a factor last year.
Cross starting at Corner, but not surprised.
Cam Washington not listed at T or N, but assuming he's in the rotation.

Do we have any injuries anyone can confirm. Mention of Adu getting reps at CB with the 1st and 2nd at scrimmage, but not listed. Thought we'd see new CB JJ Ross, but also noticed him not in pads for the 2nd scrimmage.
WIU2DC

My biggest shock is Deshon Gavin not making the list. Is he still hurt?

GV Dad

I will be shocked if this is even close to the actual 2 deep.
letsgonecks

Ball State is 46/47th in the coaches poll, with 5 votes and tied with Houston.

36/37th in the AP, with 7 and tied with BYU.

Means nothing until the players hit the field, but worth noting.