Fall 2021 - Week 2 - at Montana

WIU2DC

rocki wrote:Can I just say I'm still questioning Sampson? He hasn't been able to keep his feet under him this week. I still want to see Ogala - I thought he was supposed to be THE dude when they brought him in.
So last year I would have agreed. I think Sampson showed last week he was our guy… Montana’s D is likely the top 2/3 Ds we play this regular season and I wouldn’t consider Ball State’s D in the top 3 we play this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:44 pm
rocki wrote:Can I just say I'm still questioning Sampson? He hasn't been able to keep his feet under him this week. I still want to see Ogala - I thought he was supposed to be THE dude when they brought him in.
So last year I would have agreed. I think Sampson showed last week he was our guy… Montana’s D is likely the top 2/3 Ds we play this regular season and I wouldn’t consider Ball State’s D in the top 3 we play this season.

This is true. Massey Ratings lists them as the #4 defense currently, but it seems like that tends to slightly overestimate MVFC teams. Honestly I'd put them ahead of NDSU's defense right now. Washington was ranked #20 in the FBS and Montana held them to 7 points.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU2DC

Now that was a bad pass by Sampson and this drive likely puts Us out of the game here. I think this game proves Montana is a legit challenger for the Natty this year. None of us think we are, and are hoping to be competitive. Think this game is proving we aren’t competitive to the top levels of the FCS.. yet. Montana likely wins the MAC easily this season.

Edit: Lawson is the only reason we aren’t down 5 scores right now.

Edit 2: Sampson is helping Montana score here.

sealhall74

Just tuned in after some neighborhood socializing.  Should have stayed at that party.  This one not going good.

Make that well not good.  Little things matter.

Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU2DC

At this point put Olga in and maybe Montana puts their second stringers in and see what we have next year. But, I do think Sampson starts against Eastern Washington next year. Montana is arguably better, if not equal to SDSU who we will get smoked by later this year.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:
At this point put Olga in and maybe Montana puts their second stringers in and see what we have next year. But, I do think Sampson starts against Eastern Washington next year. Montana is arguably better, if not equal to SDSU who we will get smoked by later this year.

Yup, might as well. Either him or one of the young guys.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I hope Hauck has a little Bob Nielson in him and does not like to run up the score.  
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Oh, absolutely Montana is the real deal. I didn't mean to take anything away from them. Just two of their "sacks" were instances where Connor tripped over his own feet and they fell on him afterwards. I hope you guys are right - I thought last week Sampson absolutely was the right choice. Tonight, however, I'm wondering if it was just a fluke.

rocki

Oh, dear, this is ugly. Please don't let it be another 1 win season (or worse).
wiu712

Tonight's game was a sellout:  Attendance = 25,238.