Coastal Carolina fan here

bodoyle

Hi everyone. I know it's weird that a CCU fan would be on your messageboard, but I come in peace :)

I am from IL, and my brother graduated from WIU. Just thought I would pass this information on for your future football schedules:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/0 ... p=/99/167/
huskie

Thanks for the info.
WIU0812

Nice to meet ya and thanks for the news, always appreciate some news on the upcoming schedules. Hows the Costal Carolina football team been lately?
wiu712

Welcome back, bodoyle!

I remember your postings here from 2010 when Western played at Costal Carolina in the first-round of the 2010 FCS Playoffs.
bodoyle

Yes sir 712, I'm back ;)

CCU has been pretty good under our new (3rd year) coach Joe Moglia. We've won the Big South (shitty conference) 2 years in a row and went 12-3 last year and made it to the Quarterfinals in the playoffs with wins over Bethune Cookman at home and Montana at their place.

Our offense broke/set all kinds of records last year, but our defense was suspect. We expect the offense to take a small step back this year and the D to step up.

Speaking to my brother, I know you guys have struggled recently. I thought you guys had a somewhat famous coach recently, but then I looked and have no idea who this guy is. How long has he been your coach?
wiu712

Head Coach Bob Nielson will be starting his 2nd season this fall. Last year's team was 4-8 (2-6 in the Missouri Valley).

Coach Nielson came to Western from Minnesota-Duluth (UMD).

He had a 100-26 record during his 10-year tenure as head coach at UMD and won the 2008 and 2010 NCAA Division II National Championship following a 15-0 campaign in each season.

During his final five seasons, UMD went to the NCAA playoffs each year, won two national titles, and posted a 62-7 record in that span.

In each of the national championship seasons (2008, 2010), Coach Nielson was voted Division II National 'Coach of the Year'.
bodoyle

So what's caused the problems with his move to FCS?
WIU0812

If you are referring to his first season being a losing one, he inherited a team that was not nearly as well recruited as it could have been and had around 50 to 60 players total to work with where this year we are in the 70's or 80's I believe. He was able to bring in a good class his first year and an even better class this spring. The team is very young with 16 returning starters. There are many factors that worked into this as it definitely was not going to take one year to rebuild.
Western_101

Coastal Carolina's Brook's Stadium appears to be very nice. It seats roughly 10,000 with room to expand it. Looks like it has good sight lines and the stands are closed to the action (read no track). At some point I could see the corners being filled in to make it a "bowl".

bodoyle

Red: The stadium is pretty nice for the most part. Last year our team switched sides so the sun isn't in our faces all game long. Our new coach has really turned things around. There have been multiple articles about him - he is the former CEO of TD Ameritrade.