WIU @ Northwestern - 9/20

WIU0812

rocki wrote:Just doesn't seem like anyone besides JC has a lot of ability yet. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but when he gets shut down, we're in trouble.
They have not used Hammonds that often yet, but after 22 attempts he is averaging a very good 4.54 YPC and has one touchdown. We do not have the power of Watson there except perhaps in Devon Moore since he is a large kid and like I said he has shown quite a bit of potential after being played more than expected this year. Devon has only seen 9 attempts this year and is averaging 5.2 YPC and has 2 touchdowns. The loss of Watson hurts, but we have good backups to give him breaks. I also think Hammonds is a receiving threat as they obviously are comfortable with him catching the ball since he has been return kickoffs, though he did have the one metal error on the first play of Wisconsin.
rocki

Thanks for the clarifications!
Western_101

Sadly I think the loss of Nikko Watson has changed the outlook for the Leathernecks whole Season. J.C. Baker is good and should defiantly be an all MVFC 1st or 2nd team. However, Nikko was a force, a real punch it up the middle power running back. Coach doesn't really have a horse in his stable this season that can immediately replicate that facet of the game.

I really hope the 'Necks can get the passing game going next week to keep NU defense honest. Seemed like Wisconsin's secondary was smothering the 'Necks receiving corps a couple weeks back.

My prediction is Northwestern over Western 24-10.
WIU0812

Does anyone know if he is planning on coming back next year? All I can tell so far is that he has not removed all the leatherneck items from his facebook and seems to be looking on the bright side.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

[st]I was kinda wondering if he was going to try to pull a "Golson" (Notre Dame QB) and take the year to get better and hope to prove himself and earn a spot back on the team next year. We did have to "burn" his redshirt in his freshman year, putting him in for the last 2-3 games due to injuries at RB, so, if I understand it correctly, as far as the NCAA is concerned, this can be his redshirt year and he can play next year...if the school and Coach N decide to allow it (which may be a BIG IF...depending on the severity of what he did).[/st]

EDIT - Aaaaand I just realized that letsgonecks pretty much said the exact same thing I just said, but about 6 days ago.

I also noticed that he's now no longer listed on the roster (he was still listed as of last weekend).
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

Below are some previews of Saturdays game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2198 ... ame/page/7

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... s-week-4-3

http://btn.com/2014/09/17/week-4-see-ou ... all-games/

This last one is interesting because it is the Big Ten predictions and most are relatively close.
sealhall74

That one guy says NW keeps it simple to beat us. I don't think we can play simple ball and come out on top in Evanston. Have to mix it up play-wise and surprise them. Didn't we open up against Wisconsin with an end-around. Not much in the way of surprises after that as I recall. On the other hand, Coach N might not want to tip off SIU as to what surprises we do have in the arsenal - that SIU game is much more important than this one IMO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

Honestly unless coach n has found some new plays most things are not a surprise because of all trick plays are from past years and the teams don't just look at this year's film they review all the way back the last couple years.
sealhall74

I do not include mis-direction plays in the "trick" play category. When Baker get a touch from Pistol/Shotgun formation, he pretty much just looks for a hole and goes for it. This morning I watched replay highlights of Bison win over Iowa State. Every big running play the Bison had started from the 2 back "I" formation leaving defense to guess whether the play is going right or left or even up the gut. The 2nd back is far enough back that he can build up a lot of speed by the time he hits the line. If you have one back in the picture all the time, you better have a QB who is mobile.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Reminder: The game will be televised on ESPN News. Game time is 11AM.