The 2014 QBs

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

So, 9 days out, 9 categories of players (QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB, K/P).
Up today...the QBs.

This year we have 4 QBs listed on the roster (and another player who has played QB for a few downs here and there in the past, but will probably be utilized in another position mostly).
#14 Trenton Norvell - Sophomore from Daytona Beach, FL
#6 Rhys Gervais - Redshirt Freshman from Puyallap, WA
#16 Devin O'Hara - Redshirt Freshman from Mt. Prospect, IL
#18 Sean McGuire - Freshman from Franklin, WI
Also, last year, #15 J'Vaughn Williams (Sophomore from Collinsville, IL) was utilized as a QB in a few situations, but will most likely be primarily a WR this year.

Of the QBs, Norvell is the only one with college game experience, having won the starting position as a freshman last year (after transferring to Western following a redshirt year at Cincinnati). All of the other QBs listed on the roster were sitting out as redshirts or in HS last season. Last year, Norvell played in all 12 games, passing for 2140 yards and 16 TDs, an average of 178.3 yards/game and a passer rating of 103.0 on the season. He also rushed for net 39 yards (+186 and - 147) and 2 TDs. I don't have access to the newest record book (doesn't look like it's on the new website yet), but I know that the numbers he put up were very good (possibly setting a couple of school records) for freshmen QBs.

I would imagine that we'll see Norvell again be the starting QB and play the majority of downs, with either Gervais or O'Hara (possibly switching back and forth between both) occasionally put in as the backup QB. I haven't read all of the articles from the summer training camp, but it sounds like Gervais was putting up some solid passes at last Friday's practice, so I wonder if he'll get the nod as the #2 QB. Barring any emergencies, I would expect that McGuire will be redshirted this season.

Either way, I really like that we've got a solid QB who's only a sophomore with freshmen backups. Essentially, eligibility-wise we could see this same QB squad for 3 more years.

What are your guys' thoughts on QBs?

ImageImageImageImage
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

When do they have to decide when they will redshirt a player?
beauspencer

If a player plays a down, he loses his redshirt. It's not really ever decided, rather planned. Take for instance Hayden Northern. They had planned on redshirting him, but injuries at the end of the season made it necessary for him to play the final four games. Same story for Nikko Watson. He only played in the final four games because injuries at RB piled up and he was forced to action.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

beauspencer wrote:If a player plays a down, he loses his redshirt. It's not really ever decided, rather planned. Take for instance Hayden Northern. They had planned on redshirting him, but injuries at the end of the season made it necessary for him to play the final four games. Same story for Nikko Watson. He only played in the final four games because injuries at RB piled up and he was forced to action.
Thanks for the clarification Beau. So, essentially, they don't have to "declare" a redshirt, they just don't play him unless they absolutely have to, and if they don't play him at all and he hasn't had a redshirt year before, then that year can be counted as his redshirt season.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000