The 2014 WRs

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yesterday was the RBs, and today...the Wide Receivers are up.

We’ve got 12 WR’s listed on the roster for this year:

#19 Hi-C Scott - Senior from Phoenix, AZ
#82 Zach Konstanzer - Senior from Hanover Park, IL
#9 Quadarias Mireles - Junior from Delray Beach, FL
#1 Joey Borsellino - Sophomore from Oak Brook, IL
#7 Lance Lenoir, Jr. - Sophomore from Crete, IL
#15 J’Vaughn Williams - Sophomore from Collinsville, IL
#36 Cleveland Clark - R-Freshman from Chicago, IL
#80 Nick Schroeder - R-Freshman from Manitowoc, WI
#86 Adam Hoogerwerf - R-Freshman from Rock Island, IL
#87 Jason Townsend - R-Freshman from Germantown, WI
#82 Jaelon Acklin - Freshman from Mountain View, MO
#85 Isaiah Lesure - Freshman from Mount Horeb, WI

Last year we had 3 receivers start all 12 games and all 3 are back this year. Last year’s stats:
Joey Borsellino - 465 yards (11.3 yards per play), 3 TDs, 38.8 y/game average
Lance Lenoir - 489 yards (12.5 yards per play), 7 TDs, 40.8 y/game average
Hi-C Scott - 458 yards (14.3 yards per play), 3 TDs, 38.2 y/game average

As you can see, the stats are pretty closely matched. Lenoir had a few more TDs than the other WRs, but Scott had a higher yards/play average. Personally, I like that we have (at least) 3 quality WRs that can be thrown to. It helps open up the defense...makes it harder to defend when the QB has multiple targets that are all very good. I’ve also heard good things out of camp regarding the new transfer, Mireles, so it's likely we'll see quite a bit of playing time from him as well.

I would imagine that we’ll end up seeing a similar depth chart to last year, with Scott, Borsellino and Lenoir starting most of the time, likely along with Mireles frequently. Konstanzer saw some time playing on special teams last year, so I’d say it’s likely that will stay the same this year. Williams was used sparingly as a QB last year, but has been moved to WR (he played both in HS). I’m not sure if his arm is good enough to be put in for a trick play or two (like we used to do with Frisman Jackson...QB lateral pass to the WR, who then launches it to an open WR downfield), but I’m sure Coach Nielson has some ideas.

There’s quite a bit of depth at WR and it’s fairly well spread across the experience levels:
Sr/Jr - 3
So - 3
R-Fr - 4
Fr - 2

I would expect that the two true freshmen WRs (Acklin and Lesure) will be redshirted this year (unless one of them has completely blown up in a good way in training camp) and that the redshirt freshmen: Clark, Schroeder, Hoogerwerf, and Townsend, will be backup WRs.

Anyone know what WR’s usually look like on a depth chart? They normally go with 3 starters? And how many backups? I haven’t looked at a FCS-level depth chart in a while, so I’m not really sure.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
vatusay

Didn't know about the transfer until the countdown in the other thread. When did he come over? I missed it I guess. Looked up recruiting history and he was the number eight overall juco when signed with ole miss
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Looks like he joined us at some point this summer.

Here's some other info about him from some of the Ole Miss news sources:
Mireles also had offers from Oklahoma State and Purdue out of HCC and Arkansas, Louisville and Miami (Fl) out of high school.
Wrap-up: When he catches the ball in space, he is a lethal threat. The optimal screen receiver, Mireles is elusive and can make the first line of defense miss. What Vincent Sanders is as a possession receiver is what Mireles is as a home-run-threat. Very quick with good burst, he can get behind the cornerback for a deep ball, but most of his routes should be over the middle to try for a big gain.
I think that part of his transfer had to do with the fact that he was supposed to be a WR, then Ole Miss had an AMAZING recruiting class and they were talking about probably moving him to defense. My guess is he preferred to play WR, so ended up somewhere he could do just that. (Source)

Essentially, it looks like we got a guy who was good enough to compete for a starting spot at an SEC school. I expect big things from this kid.

Here's his twitter account for those who are interested:
[twitteruser]Que_Ball_In, 502588219053989888[/twitteruser]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000