Post game recap Western@Southern Illinois

lovethenecks

Responding to the people about Special Teams and Coaching does not effect it cause it does not snap it, kick it,punt it is absolutely rediculous. Coaching is huge with special teams and lets get specific on where this teams lacks it. First that swinging gate is stupid at this level as kicking is all about timing not trickery. Second how many other teams have a Kicker and punter the same guy maybe 10 in all D1. Why do we have it because coaching did not recruit a d1 level punter, we have a good kicker. How many other teams in conference use a position player #99 to snap, NONE as they all have a dedictated snapper or two. punt snaps this year are bad yes, but coaching should be able to help that, lots of drills to help him get better. This is not D2 or D3 get focused on the Kicking game or be prepared to lose more games. Last point before the games Coach Yelk is not even on the field with Kickers and Punters, either is the holder or #99 because they play other positions and coach other positions that they consider more important than Special Teams
sealhall74

SunDevilLawyer wrote:The mistakes i.e. bad snaps and what not need to be eliminated that is the result of coaching. ALSO AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT SEES OUR OFFENSE AS RIDICULOUSLY PREDICTABLE!!!! NTM BAKER AND MORALES ARE INCREDIBLE PLAYMAKERS AND NEITHER ARE GETTING THE BALL. Good caches find a way to use every ounce of talent on their team, This coaching staff is no where near that.

Not to mention, our special teams was disgusting last year and we did NOTHING to change that, that is the reason why we can outgain Northwestern and STILL GET SMASHED. The avg starting position of the opposing team is nearly midfield! This makes are defense and offense look much worse than they are!
No, SDL, you are not the only one. I spent some time watching the SIU game yesterday. SIU used many more running back formations than we showed. Our playbook is kept simple I think because it is a very tough system to learn. I played football back in the old days where the QB simply called the play in the huddle and everyone immediately knew where to go and what to do. This scheme puts the QB in a tough situation, reading the defense at line of scrimmage, and deciding what to do at that point. We are getting the plays started much quicker than last year but still need improvement there. There is a reason we have opened both NW and SIU games with nice drives and that is because those drives are well scripted and rehearsed during the week. Once we get beyond that, the QB is own his own to make the right read and execute. And if he is he the least bit concerned about fielding a snap other than where it is supposed to be, his confidence and timing are going to be affected. Regarding Baker, I think he needs a very skilled blocking/running back to work in tandem with to be most effective.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiuXXX

Please! Please! Please! we have athlete on the field. I would bet the house on it if we had North Dakota state coaches we would be undefeated. I am sick and tired of excuses two season no improvement in special team or offense. Coach Nielson get paid a lot of money to coach this team and most of ours losses come from coaches not able to execute at critical times. After 2 years we shouldn't be making elementary mistakes. Coach Hendrickson coaching staff was more experience and couldn't get the job done, so what make you think Coach Nielson with an inexperienced coaching staff can get it done. Once again do we suppose to sacrifice season after season until the coaching get enough on the job training. Fire Nielson or have him bring some experience coaching in defense, special team. and offense Prime example we have several losses due to special team that's pathetic!!!
rocki

Mireles is also one who got underthrown Saturday. I still wonder if it's the QB, the receivers, or both missing their targets/places.

Michna used to throw to a place where there was no receiver, but by heck, by the time the ball got there, so was the receiver. Maybe the QB/receivers were that much better then, I don't know.

Baker has a target on his back. Once Moore starts getting more carries, it will help.

Just my opinions, of course.
Play-To-Win

The Year we made the playoff we had playmakers on offense and defense we have playmakers on defense but not on offense or we don't have the right QB to make something happen for the playmaker's and this is what frustrating you are relying on a QB who gets tunnel vision after the 1st halve he literally stop going through his progressions and start eyeing down the receivers' or the offense coordinator start sending JC up the Middle. I guarantee you North Dakota St gets 3 picks in this game because he is the easiest QB to read an I blame the coaches for putting him in that position, Sometime you have to work with the talent you got! simplify it... and stop trying to implement something you don't have the athletes for. We going to see what I am talking about this week.
Bandneckproud

The QB telegraph his passes, he stare down his receivers and don't go through his progressions. That is way he throws 2 int every game. I am 62 years old if I threw the ball 50 times a game I would have 300 yards passing for the game. North Dakota state is going to have a field day if he do not correct this terrible habit. This comes back to the inexperienced QB coach not teaching him the correct progressions to take.
sdscamp

"Happy homecoming" to you Keyser soze you "imbecile' Now go stick you head back up Nielson butt everyone is entitled to voice their opinion this is a Forum if you do like what we are saying go to a different page you moron.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Ok people, let's cool it with the personal attacks. We can disagree and argue about what we think is best for the team, but in the end, we all just want to see them win. There's no reason to be calling people names just because they have a different opinion on how best the team should go about making that happen.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiuXXX

Thank you!!! Mr. Lawson, calling someone an idiot is pretty harsh (SOZE) just for voicing their opinion. Mr Lawson I think we should fire Soze and Nielson.
WIU0812

Nothing like a good heated debate on a forum. Which I agree everyone has their own opinion and sometimes they butt heads because of this. We will see in the next few years what happens till then just hope that things get fixed and that the teams pulls out a few surprise wins.