Western vs Illinois State - 10/18/2014

Redbirdfan21

Greetings from Redbird country. Headed to the game from Springfield. It appears from the limited research I've done that there are no bars very close to Hanson Field. Is that correct? Google Maps says it's about a 25 min walk to "the square". Is that about right? We were hoping to park in the Q lot and walk to a bar. Anything else close? We will be there around 11 and wanna do some bars and some tailgate. Suggestions welcome. Good luck, after this week.
beauspencer

Welcome to town, Redbirdfan21. Your research is correct. No bars within reasonable walking distance of campus. Your best bet is to bring a cooler and tailgate in Q Lot. Enjoy the day!
sealhall74

beauspencer wrote:Welcome to town, Redbirdfan21. Your research is correct. No bars within reasonable walking distance of campus. Your best bet is to bring a cooler and tailgate in Q Lot. Enjoy the day!
Back in the good ol' days, it was not like that. In late 70s, what was that bar on University Drive that was just east of the north quad? Ahhh, the stench of stale beer on that concrete floor still sticks with me after all these years. Great Friday PM Happy Hour!
Embrace the pace of the race.
Western_101

Tailgaiting and bringing ones own adult beverages would be my preferred choice. Usually is a pretty good tailgating crowd.

However, I think beer is available for purchase before the game in a large tent...(President's Tent? I think) I believe it's made available to everyone.
beauspencer

Not sure sealhall74. There was the Purple Pride up on University/Lafayette, then it changed to the Dog Pound. It's sat vacant for several years now, although it's been about five different things since the Dog Pound shut down around 2005.
Western_101

Closest bar to Hanson Field is Jackson Street Pub. One can walk up Sherman Ave. It is about a 15 minute walk at brisk pace.

Jackson Street Pub has Excellent authentic Horseshoe sandwiches.
wiu712

Redbirdfan21 wrote:Suggestions welcome.
Closest bar to campus would be Chubby's on West Adams. That is just a few blocks east of Lincoln/Washington on the southeast side of campus.

The downtown bars on the Square are easily accessible via the Go West Transit bus lines. They are FREE!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:
beauspencer wrote:Welcome to town, Redbirdfan21. Your research is correct. No bars within reasonable walking distance of campus. Your best bet is to bring a cooler and tailgate in Q Lot. Enjoy the day!
Back in the good ol' days, it was not like that. In late 70s, what was that bar on University Drive that was just east of the north quad? Ahhh, the stench of stale beer on that concrete floor still sticks with me after all these years. Great Friday PM Happy Hour!
I thought I heard someone say once that the building where the karate school is now was a bar at one point, but I could be wrong on that. The one right here: https://goo.gl/maps/rjfG4...any closer and it'd be on campus property.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

It was, Scott. I also remember it being the Brathaus.

Also, the Cafe Aroma/MDH Physical Therapy building used to be the Time Out bar and hotel.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:It was, Scott. I also remember it being the Brathaus.

Also, the Cafe Aroma/MDH Physical Therapy building used to be the Time Out bar and hotel.
Ah...the furthest back I remember that building was when it was Circus Video. I think they were the only ones in town that rented laserdiscs back in the day.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000