Western vs Illinois State - 10/18/2014

WIU0812

sealhall74 wrote:
lovethenecks wrote:As has been said numerous times on this site this season lets recap what went wrong yesterday.
1. Good coaches adjust at halftime and that is really where they earn their pay. We are getting killed in 2nd half this week 31-10
2. Special teams: they had over 100 yards more of punting yardage. We had a 7 yard punt and less than 25 yard average. Have not seen those kind of numbers since Junior High
3. Decision making in key situations is questionable. Going for it on 4th and 1 I understand but 4th and 6 NO WAY. Only defense for coach is he had given up on the punting game
4.When you have good teams down you have to finish them, we let them stay in the game with a conservative game plan after leading
5. Last but not least Top 10 team and in state and we get less the 5,000, lots of work to do from top down.
6. This team has lots of playing talent many won't be here next year, think with this staff this might be the best we get at 4-8
Excellent read LtN. I did some quick calcs yesterday. In our 5 losses, we have outscored opposition 51-42 in first half. In second half, opposition has a 107-20 advantage. So where does the problem lie? IMO, our pass defense is very soft (we rank last in conference) and that is about 75% of the problem. The other 25% is on the offense (we rank #9 in time of possession). Defense is much tougher on the body than offense - too much time on the field is not a good thing. Any lack of depth on defense could compound things.

I was looking at the NDSU/ISU-B game notes yesterday as well. Bison had one of the more dominating statistical beatdowns that I have ever seen.
Bison time of possession was 41+ minutes to 18+ for Trees. Bison currently rank #1 in defense. The way they are manhandling opponents (except for us?) is giving their younger players some time on the field, only adding to their depth.

To make a long story short, "the rich are getting richer".

I agree that was a pretty good breakdown, but I have to say I am not sure I disagree with the 4th down call as we were mid field and obviously Coach N knew that our Defense was bleeding points left and right and the only way to win the game was to keep the offense on the field longer. Basically it was either punt and hope to get our punter to kick farther than 25 yards (noticed they had the freshman Luke Otto kick most of the punts any idea why? Maybe to take some load off of Nathan? ) or try to get the defense to get a stop which seemed to be unlikely at that point. It is had to judge, but I figured at that moment he would go for it. If we had converted we may have won the game just by keeping the offense on field for a couple extra minutes.
sealhall74

WIU0812 wrote:
sealhall74 wrote:
lovethenecks wrote:As has been said numerous times on this site this season lets recap what went wrong yesterday.
1. Good coaches adjust at halftime and that is really where they earn their pay. We are getting killed in 2nd half this week 31-10
2. Special teams: they had over 100 yards more of punting yardage. We had a 7 yard punt and less than 25 yard average. Have not seen those kind of numbers since Junior High
3. Decision making in key situations is questionable. Going for it on 4th and 1 I understand but 4th and 6 NO WAY. Only defense for coach is he had given up on the punting game
4.When you have good teams down you have to finish them, we let them stay in the game with a conservative game plan after leading
5. Last but not least Top 10 team and in state and we get less the 5,000, lots of work to do from top down.
6. This team has lots of playing talent many won't be here next year, think with this staff this might be the best we get at 4-8
Excellent read LtN. I did some quick calcs yesterday. In our 5 losses, we have outscored opposition 51-42 in first half. In second half, opposition has a 107-20 advantage. So where does the problem lie? IMO, our pass defense is very soft (we rank last in conference) and that is about 75% of the problem. The other 25% is on the offense (we rank #9 in time of possession). Defense is much tougher on the body than offense - too much time on the field is not a good thing. Any lack of depth on defense could compound things.

I was looking at the NDSU/ISU-B game notes yesterday as well. Bison had one of the more dominating statistical beatdowns that I have ever seen.
Bison time of possession was 41+ minutes to 18+ for Trees. Bison currently rank #1 in defense. The way they are manhandling opponents (except for us?) is giving their younger players some time on the field, only adding to their depth.

To make a long story short, "the rich are getting richer".

I agree that was a pretty good breakdown, but I have to say I am not sure I disagree with the 4th down call as we were mid field and obviously Coach N knew that our Defense was bleeding points left and right and the only way to win the game was to keep the offense on the field longer. Basically it was either punt and hope to get our punter to kick farther than 25 yards (noticed they had the freshman Luke Otto kick most of the punts any idea why? Maybe to take some load off of Nathan? ) or try to get the defense to get a stop which seemed to be unlikely at that point. It is had to judge, but I figured at that moment he would go for it. If we had converted we may have won the game just by keeping the offense on field for a couple extra minutes.
If we are going into wind, I probably agree with going for it. But even then, I would much rather see the QB out of the pocket with a few more options to go with it. But the wind was out of the North at 13mph (from box score) so I think a punt would have been better gamble, assuming wind was still blowing that late in the game.
Embrace the pace of the race.
rocki

Seal, I thought we were headed into the wind. If not, my mistake. :oops:
WIU0812

I do have to say that next years offense should be pretty scary good especially if our highly touted running back Brock Broughton is as good as I think he will be. I could see him getting playing time early next year and working into a possible starter by end of season! Also have to note that we have a couple of tall WR who should be great additions along side Lance. My biggest concern is can we reload our defense with good players and possibly even improve upon this seasons D as it has not been the typical strong WIU Defense.
wiu712

rocki wrote:I thought we were headed into the wind. If not, my mistake.
We were going south in the 4th qr. The wind was out of the north. So the wind was at our back.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:
We were going south in the 4th qr. The wind was out of the north. So the wind was at our back.
ISU was "pooching" their kickoffs against that wind in the 4th quarter and it seemed like it worked out well for them.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Punting was one of our problem areas.

Luke Otto punted three times for 69 total yards (average of 23 yards). Longest punt was 35 yards.

Nathan Knuffman punted once for 26 yards.
WIU0812

Kind of surprised the Luke had the issues he did as he was supposed to be a pretty amazing punter when we recruited him out of Bloomington.
rocki

wiu712 wrote:
Like I said, my mistake. Watched it on Leathernecks "All Access", and I obviously didn't keep track of which direction we were heading. :oops:
neckboy

What do you expect with a D2 coaching staff that have never coached on the D1 level, do you really expect us to be "first". Simply put the Defense Coordinator got out coached.