Western vs Illinois State - 10/18/2014

wiuXXX

I agree NB, I have seen a decline in the Defense, not throwing the Defense Coordinator under the bus but I do think he need to consider hiring new LB's and CB's coaches.
BobLovely

Second half defensive collapses usually suggest a lack of quality depth by position or less than optimum strength and conditioning - both in season and off season. In either case, players get worn down late in contests. Scheme is less likely the cause...

Bob
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not much to say that hasn't been said.
We play all 4 quarters....we win.
We let up in the second half...we lose.

ISU is a top-10 undefeated team for a reason. We gave them an inch, and they took it and busted it wide open.

I think Denny Green said it best...."They are who we thought they were...and we let them off the hook."

[youtube][/youtube]
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
WIU0812

BobLovely wrote:Second half defensive collapses usually suggest a lack of quality depth by position or less than optimum strength and conditioning - both in season and off season. In either case, players get worn down late in contests. Scheme is less likely the cause...

Bob
I agree with this it usually is due to a lack of depth or conditioning that leads to these problems as the number 1 cause not a lack of coaching. I am not saying I am completely sold on the coaching, but this is a pretty clear cut case of depth and conditioning as things get worse the farther into the game you go. They started to really let up towards end of the 3rd and by 4th were getting burned.