Defensive Hits Keep Coming

WIU0812

Should be Watching Film, Lifting Weights, or just relaxing watching a movie or playing games instead of wasting time most likely partying or doing something like that. I think that is another reason we need a football building on north side of field to give the amenities that keep football players out of trouble and give them a large place to hang out together. I know alot of schools provide large screen areas like a almost theater area for film and they let players host movie nights there. They also typically have a large lounge area with a game system that allows for them to blow of steam as a team in an area dedicated to themselves.
leatherface

I hope WESTERN isn't bringing in "problems" other schools have passed on, in a desperate move to win some games. This comes back to recruiting and a check on character.

This is a hot button for me. I have little to no sympathy for criminal behavior by folks who should be old enough to know better, and, have a built in support group available. Why should alumni and students be embarrassed by folks who are representing the institution?
rocki

These people are not children. To my way of thinking, they should be plenty capable of coming up with things to keep themselves out of trouble. Yes, they are college students. Yes, college students like to party. However, we are talking 21, 22 years old. I had fun in college, too - but by the time I was that age I was more concerned with doing my internship and prepping myself for life afterward.

It's stupid things like this that can cause people who do make it in the big time to piss away their money, job, friends, and sometimes family. If they don't learn it now, they won't learn it later.

End of rant.
sealhall74

If I am a coach/recruiter for a school like WIU, first question to recruit would be "What do you plan to do with your life?". If the kid tells me he wants to play pro ball and that is all he wants to do, I would know right away his head is not screwed on tight enough. Yes, there is that rare exception, but 99.95% of the kids playing ball at this level are not moving up to the next level.
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

rocki wrote:These people are not children. To my way of thinking, they should be plenty capable of coming up with things to keep themselves out of trouble. Yes, they are college students. Yes, college students like to party. However, we are talking 21, 22 years old. I had fun in college, too - but by the time I was that age I was more concerned with doing my internship and prepping myself for life afterward.

It's stupid things like this that can cause people who do make it in the big time to piss away their money, job, friends, and sometimes family. If they don't learn it now, they won't learn it later.

End of rant.
Not to mention that I had plenty of fun in college as well and managed not to get arrested at any point in my years there. You can definitely have fun, you just need to know when it is quits. Plus, this is during season they do not need to be out partying... you wonder why some of the guys seem sluggish try drinking a few days before a big game and being at 100%.
rocki

Anyone heard anything about what's up with the delinquents?

Other than what's been posted here, I haven't heard a peep.
wiu712

Today's Macomb newspaper reported that Macomb native Brett Taylor will be getting his first start of the season on Saturday.
WIU0812

He is a promising young LB, will be good to get him some more experience.
rocki

I wondered about that when they said JJ was having elbow surgery.

I'm surprised there hasn't been anything said about other backups who will be playing due to starters not being allowed to play.
WIU0812

Not alot of coverage seems to spill out on things like that. I am sure the coach is pissed and they will most likely be suspended for at least 2 games if not rest of season depending on the full story which we will most likely never hear.