11/8 WIU @ South Dakota

Western_101

I have no insider info. However, it would seem like this team is not where it could have been at this time of the season. I predict a 1-2 finish. Hope Bob can turn it around in his 3rd season.
WIU0812

How much time do most coaches get to prove their worth in a new program, 4 or 5 seasons? I like coach N, but I just have always been curious I mean if you do not have a winning season in 4 seasons that means that your recruiting is not doing it and those players you first recruited are becoming seniors or are graduating so this basically means your coach is not working. I could definitely see Coach N Having great seasons next year and year after and I am not criticizing him I just basically always wondered how people felt about when came to how long you let someone stick around if their methods are not working. Clearly the Cubs only give someone 1 season.
Western_101

This 2014 season is the best the MVFC is from top to bottom. Which sucks if you are coach N. because clearly the team this year is much better than last year, just not showing up in the wins loss column.
sealhall74

Has been a weird season for sure. MVFC will get three teams in and maybe a fourth and my guess is they will be NDSU, ISUr, YSU, and UNI. We beat one of them, could have beat another except for a play or two, had one totally licking their wounds at half-time, and lost to one after there was no wind left in our sails from the previous two defeats. Little things add up to making a world of difference.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

Just noticed that the North Dakota State at Northern Iowa game will be televised on Comcast Sports Net-Chicago.

Game time is 4PM, CST.
letsgonecks

anyone else try getting the game on USD's website? I did and am not getting it?

Not happy right now.
rocki

Haven't tried. I just got off work, and was listening but missed a bunch apparently (we were ahead 14-0 last I had heard). Not sure what is going on, but the announcers keep talking about missed tackles. Are the rookies getting some game experience, or what?
LocalFan

Apparently we got a defensive PAT for 2 points? I had to google it since I've never seen that happen. It's tied at 23 at the half.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Yes, if an extra point/2-point is blocked/stopped/intercepted/fumbled, and the defending team returns it to the other end zone, it's 2 points for the defending team.

They mentioned that it's only happened, I think, 2 other times in Western history.

I was in the band one of the times it happened. Not exactly sure of the year, late '90s I think. We were playing UNI at Hanson Field. UNI gets a TD, but then we block the XP and take it back for the 2 points (we had no idea what the rule was at that point and thought we'd gotten a TD/6 pts from it). Actually, I'm pretty sure that one of the plays shown in the pregame intro video that's shown on the board at home games is that actual play. If you happen to be at the last home game, look for one of the first plays that they show video of, starts with what looks like someone picking the ball up off the ground and running down the field with it...I think that was it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

ST_Lawson wrote:We were playing UNI at Hanson Field. UNI gets a TD, but then we block the XP and take it back for the 2 points.
I was at that Western vs Northern Iowa game in 1997. UNI had just scored a TD late in the game to go ahead 22-20. But Western blocked the PAT and returned it for 2 points. That tied the game at 22. Western won that game in overtime 29-22.

I was at the 126th meeting of Knox vs Monmouth today. Knox returned a blocked PAT for their only points of the game. Monmouth won 33-2.