Jackrabbits in Brookings

rocki

Since I was listening, not watching, I don't know how it would have affected the outcome. Still, you'd have to think that some positives might have come from the adjustments and better traction. Maybe there wouldn't have been as many overthrown passes, and the ground game might have been better.

It's hard to tell from listening to announcers.
DADfan

rocki wrote:Since I was listening, not watching, I don't know how it would have affected the outcome. Still, you'd have to think that some positives might have come from the adjustments and better traction. Maybe there wouldn't have been as many overthrown passes, and the ground game might have been better.

It's hard to tell from listening to announcers.
It definitely would have been a different game...... a couple of missed sacks as our guys slide by after just a baby-juke by the QB. The DB's had the hardest time as they couldn't cut on the sharper routes, and their receivers were ready and aware of this. Give them credit though, that Sumner kid had a great game. His first home game this year as he's been hurt. So he had to be pumped up for this game....... Oh well, onward!
rocki

Thanks DADfan, it helps to hear from someone who actually saw the play going on.

It would have been nice for the announcers to at least acknowledge the ground underfoot, as all we heard over the radio was that our guys were missing (catches, tackles, and runs) while SDSU was performing like it was no worse than a "clean" field.

Do you think the natural turf had any effect as well? Wondered if it would be better or worse than artificial turf.
playermom/fan

Yes the place was an ice skating rink, the old wooden stands were very icy under the snow. My son was on the field and firsthand I heard how icy/slippery it was. Very happy to come home with no major injuries - play was getting a bit brutal towards the end as tempers flared - there was quite a few very questionable calls and some very obnoxious fans/players - there were some very nice fans also :-) As my son and I talked after the game the longer cleat option came up and it would have helped according to him and the coach we were talking to. For those of us that drove there, very glad to be home safe. The boys who were stuck on the runway for many hours as plane was de-iced are also happy to have made it back safely.

Better things ahead for all the future Leathernecks!
rocki

Glad you made it back safely, playermom. It's a long haul out there, not to mention having lousy weather. We can all be thankful that there weren't any serious injuries from the playing conditions, too.

What's the scoop on the InST game? Do we have any hope left, or is it just a "let's get through this and move on" type feeling?
playermom/fan

My son is a Senior, and he will put it all out there, no such thing as lets get through it and move on LOL - I did see an emotional moment amongst the guys as they came off the field Saturday, they hugged my son in front of me and I heard them say "we got this next week for you"! So I think its a go out and get a W for our seniors game!
rocki

I hope you're right! This team is so much better than what their record shows. I'm sure your son is ready to graduate and get out in the world, but it would be nice if we could have had him another year. Wish him all the best in all his endeavors.
JackJD

rocki wrote:...This team is so much better than what their record shows....
No question about that. The Jackrabbits were well aware of what the Leathernecks had done to opponents' running game all season and WIU was in every game. We also have a lot of respect for Coach Nielsen (his former post, Duluth, is almost in the neighborhood). Our Quarterback had an excellent day passing and the passing team had an advantage because the receivers knew where they were going and the defensive backs had to adjust...making those adjustments on a terribly slippery field was nearly impossible -- big weather advantage to the receivers and a senior quarterback anxious to play more football.

Best to the Leathernecks this weekend!
wiu712

From ESPN:

Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon has run for at least 100 yards in 9 of 10 games this season.

The team that held him under 100? ===> Western Illinois!
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:From ESPN:

Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon has run for at least 100 yards in 9 of 10 games this season.

The team that held him under 100? ===> Western Illinois!
Nice, BUT it came at a price. Coach N talked much about being "balanced" on offense. Same thing applies to defense. Good teams will attack the weakest link and in our case it was defense against the pass. Something to work on for next year.
Embrace the pace of the race.