2015 Football Schedule

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, I was going to wait to post this until I do the 2015 season preview, but I figured I might as well go ahead and post it now since it might be next week before I can get the 2015 preview put together. Most of this is based off of what some schools already have posted on their own sites for their 2015 schedules as well as figuring out based on who is playing who else each week. So, without further ado, here's what our 2015 schedule will (most likely) be.

Thursday, September 3rd - Eastern Illinois
September 12 - at University of Illinois
September 19 - at Coastal Carolina
September 26 - open/bye
October 3rd - Southern Illinois (Homecoming)
October 10th - South Dakota
October 17th - at Northern Iowa
October 24th - at Illinois State
October 31st - Youngstown State
November 7th - at North Dakota State
November 14th - at Indiana State
November 21st - South Dakota State

So, non-conference slate...all Div. I...all full-scholarship (for their subdivision)...both FCS teams have been playoff teams either this year or last year. If we can head into conference season 2-1 (assuming loss to Illinois), then I think we'll be doing ok. If somehow, we're able to pull off 3-0 in the OOC portion...then we're I think we're in for a really special season. I like that the "difficulty level" of our OOC games is pretty high overall. Could be good if we do well...although it could be pretty demoralizing if we don't.
The "bye week" is early in the season (seems like it worked out that way for a lot of MVFC teams, based off when their open dates appear to be)...which could be really rough when it gets later in the season if injuries are hacking away at the team.
Again playing the last game (first weekend of Thanksgiving break) at Hanson Field...which means likely another tiny crowd for the last regular season home game of the year.
Not sure how I feel about having two 2-week stretches of no home games. If the team isn't doing well (or possibly even if they are), casual fan/student support could drop off significantly for the YSU and SDSU games.

Also, some updates on the schedule even further down the road:
The game with Eastern is actually a home-and-home agreement...we'll play them in Charleston in 2016.
The game with Coastal Carolina is also a home-and-home (that'd already been announced)...and we'll play them again here in Macomb in 2017.
Our next few years of FBS games are also tentatively set: Northern Illinois in 2016, Northwestern in 2017, U of Illinois in 2018 (which is awesome for me...means I'll most likely be able to go to all of those games).
In case you haven't noticed, the way the MVFC schedule works is that each group of two years, each team doesn't play one other team in the conference (to account for one home game and one away game). Last year and the previous year, we didn't play North Dakota State (which was a nice reprieve)...this year and next year, we didn't/don't play Missouri State...in 2016 and 2017 it looks like we are scheduled to "avoid" playing Youngstown State. I don't have any idea where they'll be difficulty-wise in that stretch, but it does eliminate one game that the team would have to fly to, saving travel costs, which is nice.

So, thoughts, comments, complaints?
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Necks2003

Thanks for the insight. I recently signed up with the forum, but have always appreciated your research and background on all of the various topics. I think the schedule looks tough but should amount to a fun and exciting season. With 2 years under Nielsons regime, hopefully next season is the turning point from a results standpoint. we have had some great players the last few years but a change in systems always takes a couple years to get everything working together in harmony from recruiting to players fully executing the new offensive/defensive schemes.
wiu712

Only 5 home games next year with the last one coming during Thanksgiving Break.

There will be a one month interval between the first home game on September 3 and the second home game on October 3.

We will be playing at Coastal Carolina for the 2nd time. We played a first-round FCS playoff game there in 2010.

Looks like the Family Weekend game will either have to be on October 10 or October 31.

The game at Illinois State on October 24 usually has a large group of Western fans in attendance. The Alumni Association always has a pre-game meal in the ISU Tailgate area for this game.

Western is playing again at Illinois on September 12. We played there in 2007, and the Western band made the trip over for that game. The Alumni Association had a pre-game meal in the tailgate area before that game.
basfan445

Next year's schedule looks really good. In reality I think we will go 1 and 2 during non conference schedule. Depending on how much Coastal Carolina brings back they should be a pretty good team again next year. EIU still have a decent year but I think they are beatable. There is always the chance of an upset of Illinois but again I don't think it will happen. I do think we can get a few more conference wins this year. We have shown the ability we can win on the road and that will be big for next year. I think if got a 7 and 5 record last year we would get into the playoffs or the last 4 teams out. Looking forward to another year of WIU football!
Western_101

I have expectations to be 2-1 entering conference play.

If I were wagering I would put my money on WIU making the playoffs next year. Solid strength of schedule next year like this year. Heck InSU made it in with 7 wins.... I think that is very doable
JoeWx21

I like it. Bring back an old rivalery game against EIU. Get to see the other Lunt brother at U of I. Coastal Carolina will be tough as they made the playoffs. Again another tough MVFC schedule. The only way to get better is play better teams. I can't wait.
W1U

That's one heck of a schedule since there isn't a Valpo or UIndy type built in. If we enter conference play 2-1 I would certainly be happy with that.

I just wish we could get more than five home games, but that can't always be the case.
sealhall74

What is the deal with tickets for road games? I know we have some Alumni social things for the big games which cover tickets. But say I want to get a taste of that Fargo Dome environment. How do I get a ticket that puts me in the WIU section? I never see anything about how to get road game tickets. I am sure a certain number go to players and coaches, etc. but do we have another route for our fans?
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:What is the deal with tickets for road games? I know we have some Alumni social things for the big games which cover tickets. But say I want to get a taste of that Fargo Dome environment. How do I get a ticket that puts me in the WIU section? I never see anything about how to get road game tickets. I am sure a certain number go to players and coaches, etc. but do we have another route for our fans?
If I had to guess, I'd say that your best bet would be to contact the opposing team's ticket office and let them know that you're a visiting fan and would like to see about getting a ticket in the visitor's section. I can't remember if they do visiting team ticket allotments during regular season games, that may only be playoff games. Most schools you won't have a problem getting a ticket, although NDSU regularly sells out their home games, so if you're looking at a trip to the Fargodome, I'd keep an eye on their athletics page next year and get your tickets early.

Our game at NDSU next year is for their "Harvest Bowl", which may make it a little more difficult to get tickets - http://www.ndsualumni.com/about-harvest-bowl
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

sealhall74 wrote:I want to get a taste of that Fargo Dome environment. How do I get a ticket that puts me in the WIU section?
The Visitors Section at the Fargo Dome are in Sections 22 and 23.
http://www.gobison.com/documents/2013/5 ... .pdf?id=10