Niko Watson

LeatherCy

Been a while since I've been on this board but I saw a tweet today from Niko. Maybe this is old news. I tweeted him asking of his status with WIU FB? He replied he has re-enrolled and is back on the team. He said he has "gotten things taken care of" That is great news, gives us the big back we need and added depth. As I replied to Niko the Leathernecks are going to pull some surprises in the MVC this Fall.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Good to hear for both his and the team's sake. I hope he's right about getting his "stuff" together and is able to make the most of his second chance.

I think we were already in pretty good shape offensively, but it's nice to have a solid RB who can reliably plow through 5+ yards regularly. I don't think we'll see quite the yardage out of him that we did out of Baker, but I think he could rack up as many or more TDs.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

I will take a mere three or four yards and a cloud of dust all day long.
Embrace the pace of the race.
meganeck

That is good news, thanks for the update Cy
Mizzou Rah

Totally disagree. I know and like Niko but after he was named captain and was kicked off the team, that should have been his last chance. To become a "team" then the coaching staff needs to recognize those players who are buying into the "team" concept. Selfish play and selfish actions have no room on a program trying to build. This only reenforces to the current players that if you are good enough the coaching staff will make accommodations to players who do anything they wish. Very poor decision and very disappointed in Coach Nielson. That being said I hope Niko has learned his lesson well and is a good player and citizen.
Western_101

I'm glad That I have never made any wrong decisions ever. I have lived a perfect life.

I condemn and have no compassion in my heart for those that have made mistakes. They deserve no 2nd chances and should not be part of society.
Neckfansince71

Boy,if this doesn't cause you to pause and reflect, nothing will! ;) jc
sealhall74

It sure does. It got me thinking about whether or not a decision like that is even a 100% coach's call or do his bosses also have some say in the matter?
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

I think second chances can and should be earned. Factor in the person's history before and after the event. As far as we know, no issues for Nikko prior to the arrest. Good enough teammate he's elected Captain, so that says something. Goes to community college nearby to earn his way back in and sticks with WIU because he wants to be back.

Don't believe he blamed anyone else or denied he made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, any mistake or issue going forward no matter how small, he should be removed, but one mistake shouldn't be the end all.

Do we even know everything that happened? I'd be interest in the exact details of the arrest. Think that should be factored too. Big difference in punching someone because you lose control and joining an altercation to protect a friend or a simple push that can be considered assault/battery. I know someone will respond, "shouldn't put yourself in that situation or better choose your assocaites." This is true to a point, but issues can happen anywhere and I've seen them first hand.

I don't think this is a situation where he was let back in because of his football ability. To be honest, we have a big back in Moore and he even brings a bit more explosiveness. I hope Nikko has a huge year for us, but not certain how much of an opportunity he'll have with the emergance of Moore and the quicker backs to replace JC.