Future Football Schedules

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:Random question, but when UND joins the league will each team (excluding the Dakotas) not play two teams every two years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that is correct, but I haven't had a chance to go analyze the schedules of the teams who have released their 2020 schedules yet.

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
GV Dad

WIU2DC wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:39 am Random question, but when UND joins the league will each team (excluding the Dakotas) not play two teams every two years?

Is this a done deal? Hadn't heard this before.
WIU2DC

Yep, 2020 UND is in the MVFC. I’d love for the FCS to allow conference championship games and add EIU or someone to make us a 12 team league.

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

WIU2DC wrote:Yep, 2020 UND is in the MVFC. I’d love for the FCS to allow conference championship games and add EIU or someone to make us a 12 team league.

Also as of this year they're in the Summit League for all other sports, so we'll see them in basketball, volleyball, etc.

With the current schedule for the FCS playoffs, there's not an easy way to fit a conference championship game in. If they pushed everything back a week then you're looking at a semifinal weekend pretty darn close to Christmas, and that's a great recipe for having a crowd of like 30 people in the stands most places. There's alternate ways that might work, but nothing easy.

dustinthorn93

I like the way the Midwest Conference (D3) does it. They have an open date the last week of the season, which is when they play the Championship game.

So...
North Division #1 plays South Division #1
North Division #2 plays South Division #2 and so on and so forth. They play only 10 games, but they also have a league-wide bye week early in the season. i think that could possibly work for the MVFC if they were to add another team.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

dustinthorn93 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 pm I like the way the Midwest Conference (D3) does it. They have an open date the last week of the season, which is when they play the Championship game.

So...
North Division #1 plays South Division #1
North Division #2 plays South Division #2 and so on and so forth. They play only 10 games, but they also have a league-wide bye week early in the season. i think that could possibly work for the MVFC if they were to add another team.
I didn't realize there was a conference doing that already. I'd thrown that out there as a solution for a 14-team Big Sky conference before...

but didn't know that someone already did that setup. There's a few minor things that would need to be worked out, but I absolutely think it could work.
Meanwhile the Dakota schools want "Summit League Football"...which I'm not big on personally, because I like our history/rivalries with ISU, SIU, and UNI and don't really want to give those up to go play nearly all our football in the Dakotas.
dustinthorn93

I would rather go OVC then Summit League Football. The travel to the Dakotas would absolutely destroy the athletic finances. At least in the OVC they would have a couple decently close games a year.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

dustinthorn93 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 pm I would rather go OVC then Summit League Football. The travel to the Dakotas would absolutely destroy the athletic finances. At least in the OVC they would have a couple decently close games a year.
If I had to choose one or the other, I'd also rather go OVC than Summit League Football. There are other things I'd rather see over both of those, but if those are the only choices, then yeah, OVC.
vatusay

How about the dakotas go play with each other just like back in the day, and we keep the MVFC. Heck, even go back to the gateway.
#ALLIN #YOLO
dustinthorn93

vatusay wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm How about the dakotas go play with each other just like back in the day, and we keep the MVFC. Heck, even go back to the gateway.
Sounds good to me!