Nielson Leaving?

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Well, I haven't missed one due to illness yet...not even when I had a cold and still went to the ISU playoff game, played with the band, and stood the entire game. Did have to miss a day of work after that one though.

I think I'm sitting at 8 missed home games in the last 19 years, so that's not too bad
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Western_101

wow that's not many missed games. Careful, sounds like you are trending towards being a football guru guy and less band oriented.... Your friends that teach band are shaking their heads right now :D
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

RedNeck wrote:wow that's not many missed games. Careful, sounds like you are trending towards being a football guru guy and less band oriented.... Your friends that teach band are shaking their heads right now :D
Well, to be fair, I do have a distinct advantage:
8 years of that I got free admission (5 w/ band, 3 as a grad student), plus I get in free every Homecoming (as part of the Alumni Band)
Add to that the fact that I've lived in three houses in my life, and if you measure from the logo at the center of Hanson Field on the 50 yard line, the furthest I've ever lived away from the stadium is .8 miles.

Band is what got me involved and got me to love Leatherneck Football, but even if they discontinued the band tomorrow, I'd still go to every home game.

As for being a football "guru"...I'll never claim to be an X's and O's guy, I don't know playcalling schemes, but I am a data guy...I can usually find quite a bit of info about things like historical records, stadium locations, etc. My "google-fu" is strong ;)
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

According to Chris Duerr (local TV sports guy) on twitter:

"Football is less important than business of education. WIU had no business overpaying a coach during layoffs. School drew the right line"
Also some good follow-up conversation:

He also mentions that it sounds like Nielson wanted an "enriched deal" and WIU wasn't going to match what he wanted. We might have been able to come up with the money, but it would make for horrible PR for the school right now.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

It'll be interesting to see what bonuses and stuff are in there as well. He likely made right around that including all bonuses this year.

[tweet]676848752846499840[/tweet]
sealhall74

I think that Sports Performance Lab they are implementing could pay off with some huge dividends down the road. This is the kind of thing you usually see in the really big programs (like Nebraska).
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:I think that Sports Performance Lab they are implementing could pay off with some huge dividends down the road. This is the kind of thing you usually see in the really big programs (like Nebraska).
Yea, improved facilities are probably a big part of the draw as well. Make 50k base pay more, and have access to better training facilities...that's a strong argument.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

This is good...so maybe all MVFC coaches are getting fake accounts?
Fake Pelini, now Fake Joe Glenn...

[tweet]676857561023287296[/tweet]
South Side Lnecks

Did a quick search using the search box for this specific thread to make sure this video link was not posted. Here is the video link which illustrates both video and audio of Vice President for Student Services Dr. Gary Biller addressing the media regarding football coach opening. The video is 5 minutes & 33 seconds long; dated Monday December 14, 2015. http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/section?t ... ll%20coach

My 2.2 cents take on this based on the comments from Dr. Gary Biller in this video: It appears that former WIU Coach Bob Nielson was very up front with the administration. From the 1:00 - 1:25 mark Dr. Biller stated that they "would probably have an answer by tomorrow (Tuesday)...11 AM...Hopefully at that time we will be able to announce the new Head Coach for Leatherneck Football."...........The questions start at the 1:28 mark and continue until the end of the video.......Note the comments made at the 4:46 mark.

Simply put: The Search Committee announcement should have been made in this press conference video, and not 24 hours later. :shock: The search should have begun on Monday of this week, and not next week. :o This does not make the school look good and scares off football recruits as well as incoming students who do not wish to play football. The administrators jumped the gun too soon (false start) - not good. Gotta be more organized than this. Can't look dysfunctional, no matter the economic and fiscal disaster that is the state of Illinois budget. :oops: :evil: :twisted: :cry: ....... ** Football at WIU Macomb is the "flagship sport" over the decades. Not sure how things could go sideways and South (no pun intended) this fast from Monday to Tuesday, but not good at all. The entire school deserves better leadership no matter the sport, no matter the academic major. **

Over a week to form a search committee? Come on man! :shock: People in my line(s) of work have been let go/fired over stuff like this without the being let go/firing related to job cuts and budget cuts. Get organized! Show leadership! Show accountability! :oops: WIU administrators must show the student athletes and non-athletes true effective leadership and accountability, not just being there to "manage" the situation. Just my 2.2 cents. :roll:

Kind Regards,

South Side Lnecks
sealhall74

Bo Ryan dropped a bombshell on the Badgers yesterday. Did they panic and fumble around? No. A couple years back, USD's Hoops coach Dave Boots announced his retirement two months before season started. Did they panic? No. Both did the right thing and simply promoted an assistant to interim HC status and gave him rest of year to prove himself. Thus far, we have not even named an acting HC. That name should have been in the same sentence about BOB leaving. Or maybe we have and only players are privy to it. Biller will have some explaining to do during that Trustee meeting coming up if he lasts that long.
Embrace the pace of the race.