Who do you want to see as a new HC?

Who do you want to see as a new HC?

Hire internally (promote an assistant coach)
63%
HC from lower division
6%
Assistant/Coordinator from other Div. I
31%
Someone else (leave a comment)
No votes

Total votes: 16
lovethenecks

I have to say I am not sad at all that Yelk was not the guy because I was not a huge Bob Fan. Yelk is not ready as he only has one point of reference and that is working under Bob. There are many coaches that are excellent Offensive and Defensive Coordinator that would come here from a Mac Team, Conference USA, etc that would love the opportunity to get a head coaching shot. They should have hired Ward 3 years ago and the program would be in way better shape than it is today. South Dakota will not make playoffs in the 2 or 3 years Bob is there and he will be gone. He will leave D1 football with a losing record.
rocki

Wish we had an emoticon of clapping hands.

Very well put, South Side Lneck. Pleasure to have you join us, welcome aboard!
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

rocki wrote:Wish we had an emoticon of clapping hands.

Very well put, South Side Lneck. Pleasure to have you join us, welcome aboard!
No clapping hands currently, but I'll see if there's a way to maybe add some at some point.

And yes, welcome to the message board South Side, and thanks for the kind words. We all have a great deal of love for Leatherneck athletics...I'm just doing what I can to help support it.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Necks2003

Any ideas from anyone on how we can best protest our angered spirits over this debacle. I still have no idea why the interim AD would take an overseas vacation at this point in the year. Take it in the summer when the athletic issues are mostly at rest. And why has he not returned from being overseas to be involved? Apparently this issue and his job are not that important to him. Between the players we are going to lose over this, and a result of the recruiting that is not going to happen, he and this Beller individual are going to cost the school potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue from ticket sales, alumni support and guaranteed money games from FBS schools not wanting to play lower level FCS teams. Beller needs to be canned and Tanney needs a demotion to his previous title.
wiu712

Necks2003 wrote:Any ideas from anyone on how we can best protest our angered spirits over this debacle??
If you are a Leatherneck Club member, you could contact one of their people:
http://www.goleathernecks.com/sports/20 ... 52934.aspx

President Thomas has an e-mail address posted on the University's home page:
http://www.wiu.edu/president/contact.php

The members of the Board of Trustees are listed there as well:
http://www.wiu.edu/board_of_trustees/
Tere North

LneckDad wrote:To say it is unfortunate that it has gone down this path is an understatement. What was going to be a promising transition, likely without a bump, in Tyler Yelk being named head coach has now turned into a farce led by VP Biller ... in making his decision to renege on the agreement between Yelk and the university. .... They would have gotten a reduced overhead with Yelk and maintained the continuity of the program. ... Maybe Biller has a “buddy” he wants to get the job. .... Lets make sure we give a big cheer next year for VP Biller.
LneckDad has added personal insight into what I have gleaned from others and from this Board. For Biller, it's time to switch to baseball and say, three strikes, you're out.

• Strike 1) Your lack of ethics in moving, without bid, to Noel-Levitz for freshman surveys, a company with which you have a contractual relationship
• Strike 2) Your rash and irresponsible action in, without a judicial hearing, sought to expel the Western Courier editor for posting a personally taken video of the police involvement following the Black Student Association dance, calling it a case of casting a bad light on the university
• Strike 3) Announcing you'd be introducing the new head coach on at a Monday press conference, only to provide not notice and cancel it when you decide to renege on your offer

Hopefully, one of those cost reduction plans President Thomas has spoken about will involve you, Dr Biller, your removal as VP of Student Services. Talk about putting Western in a bad light; your are the poster boy for that assault.
South Side Lnecks

Interesting article found from The McDonough County Voice: posted Aug. 9, 2014 at 6:00 AM, and updated Aug 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM. Copied and pasted in blue font directly below.

"Financial documents obtained this week from the university show Noel-Levtiz was paid a total of $285,342.10 in various installments from Feb. 8, 2010, through Nov. 13, 2013. The firm was paid the majority of its consulting fees in 2010 and 2011, collecting $143,629.75 and $104,911.63, respectively.

Western's fall 2013 to spring 2014 retention rate increased to 89.3 percent, from 82.2 percent in the previous year. In addition, according to the press release, the percentage of new first-time freshmen in good academic standing or semester honors after their first semester rose to 78.2 percent in fall 2013, from 70.4 percent in fall 2012.

Vice President of Student Services Gary Biller said in an interview July 30 that two university programs — Building Connections and a University 100 freshmen seminar — are responsible for the boost in retention.

Biller, who was previously vice president for student services at Arkansas Tech University, served as a consultant for Noel-Levitz from 2003 until shortly after his employment at WIU started on July 1, 2011."

http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/article/2 ... 9/?Start=1

In this article dated December 15, 2015, Dr. Jack Thomas specifically mentions declining enrollment at Western Illinois University in the 3rd paragraph, maroon colored font: With no state appropriated budget to date, the lack of funding for higher education at adequate levels for more than a decade, and declining enrollment at Western Illinois University, my administration recently proposed faculty and staff reductions to lower personnel-related costs so that the University can continue to fulfill its mission. These decisions have been difficult to make, and certainly painful both economically and personally to the individuals directly affected by the reductions forced upon us by the budget impasse. In many cases, contractual obligations required early notification to those whose positions might be eliminated. In addition, we felt it vital to provide those possibly losing their positions as much time as possible to search for future employment. We have been open and inclusive in making these decisions through our meetings and other forms of communication to affected units. http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php ... e_id=13178

So lets get this straight: the firm Dr. Biller at one time was a consultant for: Noel-Levitz received $285,342.10 in various installments from Feb. 8, 2010, through Nov. 13, 2013. In August of 2014 the news was everything is getting better, enrollment is up. Now in December 2015 it is enrollment has declined, things are not good. Dr. Thomas is correct in that enrollment has declined and things are not good.

Further analysis says: $285,342.10 spent on Noel-Levitz. Coach Tyler Yelk earned $60,724 in 2015. http://www.wiu.edu/Budget/budget_pdfs/F ... Budget.pdf And yet somehow doubling or tripling Coach Yelk's salary is a problem to retain him as Head Coach? SMH again :roll: Doubling or tripling Mr. Yelk's salary to make him head coach should not be a problem. As the hard rock/heavy metal/hair metal group Ratt sang back in 1990 which holds true in 2015......"Once I looked into your eyes, I thought that they were true, Innocence can turn to lies, And now the finger points at you, baby....Shame, shame, shame!!" :oops:

Over $285 grand spent on a consulting firm by WIU administrators, and now WIU is crying broke when it comes to paying the football coaches? Follow the money baybay!! This stinks like Wall Street corruption and Federal Reserve corruption here.....As Ricky Ricardo (Dezi Arnaz) used to say on I Love Lucy..."Lucy you got some 'splainin to do"..... :o :shock:
wiu712

We were surprised that there were no consequences to V.P. Biller's "Strike 2" as referenced above by Tere North.

That certainly caused a lot of negative press for the university.
rocki

wiu712 wrote:We were surprised that there were no consequences to V.P. Biller's "Strike 2" as referenced above by Tere North.

That certainly caused a lot of negative press for the university.

^^^^ yeah, that!
Tere North

South Side Lnecks wrote:Over $285 grand spent on a consulting firm by WIU administrators, and now WIU is crying broke when it comes to paying the football coaches? Follow the money baybay!! This stinks like Wall Street corruption and Federal Reserve corruption here.....As Ricky Ricardo (Dezi Arnaz) used to say on I Love Lucy..."Lucy you got some 'splainin to do"..... :o :shock:
Great research South Side Lnecks.