22%
Asst/Coord from other Div. I
67%
Someone else (feel free to comment)
11%

Total votes: 9
sealhall74

Mike Babcock HC McKendree U (private) DII GLVC

Finalist for DII Coach of year. Three years at helm.

2013 4-6
2014 5-6
2015 8-2

Turned around the program.

UCLA background as player and grad assistant. Also time at CS-Pueblo getting that program off the ground.

Stealing a guy from private college might not be easy even if it is DII.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

I was pointed to a post on the football Facebook page that says that Deion Melvin has put in an application.
He's currently D-coordinator at Lindenwood (Div. II) and here's his bio there: http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/coaches.aspx?rc=927

Got his degree from Western in '94, coached here as an assistant from '93-'98, D-coordinator at Missouri State from '99-'05, Assistant at Georgia Southern in '06, at Bowling Green from '07-'08, and at Ball State from '09-'10. Has been D-coordinator at Lindenwood since 2011.
He's good with defense, linebackers, special teams.

Not saying hire him, just saying he's an option and it sounds like he's interested.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
W1U

The fact that anybody is interested is a surprise, honestly. Given the leadership problems and budget issues, it isn't exactly the most appealing job out there.

I would really prefer a coach with Western roots if possible. Maybe he wouldn't leave at the drop of a hat.
sealhall74

Lindenwood got toasted by NW Mo St this year to the tune of 69-0. We got blasted that way by NDSU so everyone is entitled to a bad day now and then.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

W1U wrote:I would really prefer a coach with Western roots if possible. Maybe he wouldn't leave at the drop of a hat.
That's kinda my thought too. Someone who really knows what he's getting into, likes the school/program/area, and wants to help return the football team to success. Maybe even someone for whom the WIU job has kinda been their "dream job".

The players are all there to have another fairly successful season next year, and it'd give them another year or so to get their recruits in place.
South Side Lnecks

I would go with Frisman Jackson. http://www.owlsports.com/coaches.aspx?p ... ll&rc=1427

Mr. Frisman Jackson has strong ties to WIU as a standout player and student. BA & MS in LEJA from WIU.
He's from the South Side of Chi-town. Mr. Jackson has coaching experience at the FBS level: WR coach at North Carolina State, and currently Temple. He also played in the NFL for 5-6 seasons as a WR for the Cleveland Browns and NY Jets as an undrafted free agent out of WIU. A resume doesn't get much better than that for a 36 y.o. coach.

Given the amount of IHSA playoff appearances, Championship game appearances, and Championship trophies by IHSA teams from the South Side and South Suburbs, recruiting from the "Southland" is critical to being successful. Mr. Jackson is from the South Side of Chicago. 8-)

Jeff Hecklinski will also be a good fit. But I would choose Frisman Jackson.

You gotta love this tweet right here from Coach Frisman Jackson: "When a former player texts you just to tell you he appreciate what you did for him. What you taught him about life. That's why you coach" https://twitter.com/frisman88

All Leathernecks fan will appreciate the retweet by Mr. Frisman Jackson here : https://twitter.com/WIUAthletics/status ... 6979052544

If any administrators think $205,000 annually for a HC in the MVFC is way too much money, they need to look in the mirror. A football program in the MVFC is a sales force. When the sales force is very successful and brings in positive net revenue through large attendance, concession stand sales, t-shirt sales, hoodie sales, additional merchandising on-line through Leathernecks gear.com? Then everyone wins across all athletics men and women, across all academics whether LEJA, Marketing, Teaching, etc. When the sales force is a dud and the revenue is negative week in and week out, month in and month out, year in and year out? Well then job cuts follow, program cuts follow and subsequently enrollment declines. Successful administrative leaders don't care about being the highest paid man or woman in town. Successful leaders care about what the overall value someone brings to the table is and how that benefits the Program/Organization/School/Corporation long term financially.

Frisman Jackson would be my guy.

A former WIU player like Frisman Jackson can also go into a place like "Acceleration Pro" in Naperville, Illinois which is owned/directed by former WIU Tight End and 6 year NFL Veteran JR Niklos. http://accelerationpro.com/our-services/j-r-niklos/ Shannon Fitzhugh former WIU player and Masters Degree holder from WIU also works at Acceleration Pro. http://accelerationpro.com/our-services ... -fitzhugh/

Imagine walking into a place like Acceleration pro with a business card name that says: Frisman Jackson - WIU Head Coach. That would be an unbelievable pipeline of talent from the Chicagoland area that could possibly be trained by JR Niklos, Shannon Fitzhugh and others.

Don't forget about Bo Jackson's Elite Fitness (Yes that's THE Bo Jackson o NFL & MLB fame) in Lockport.
http://bjeslockport.com/sports-programs ... all-staff/

Imagine having Frisman Jackson's resume and background and getting to look at some top talent at the Bo Jackson dome.

Frisman Jackson and JR Niklos were teammates on the 2001 Leathernecks. Mr. Jackson a WR, Mr. Niklos a TE. They probably lined up right next to each other. Mr. Shannon Fitzhugh was a LB/DB on that 2001 Leathernecks squad. Just imagine what that type of connection could bring to WIU. Frisman Jackson could get evaluations of talent at Acceleration Pro from JR Niklos or Shannon Fitzhugh.

2001 Leathernecks roster
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... eason=2001

FWIW, Former WIU and NFL WR Don Beebe owns Don Beebe's House of Speed. Mr. Beebe's Son Chad plays at Northern Illinois. Ya think for 1 minute that NIU doesn't get to look at guys at Don Beebe's House of Speed?

Come on WIU Administrators play your cards right on this one. Pick up the phone and call Frisman Jackson at Temple. The Football program deserves it and the school deserves it. Yes the money and resources are limited. But that will make it all the more sweeter when WIU Football kicks even more butts than they did this year. :D

Warm Regards,

South Side Lnecks
sealhall74

Here is a toast to the power of social media. We can prevent all terrorism if we spy into them and we can hire the right coaches if we listen to them.

Wow, Niklos got that bicep "vein". Have not seen one that good since Martina Navratilova. I would say he does know a thing or two about physical training.
LocalFan

Anyone know who is on the search committee, other than the vacationing interim AD?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

sealhall74 wrote:Wow, Niklos got that bicep "vein". Have not seen one that good since Martina Navratilova. I would say he does know a thing or two about physical training.
Dude's always been like that (can't really see it in that photo, but it's the best one I found online with a quick search)...and he was really fast for a TE as well. Probably the best TE we've had (that I can remember, anyway).

rocki

I like your thinking, South Side.

Frisman Jackson would be a great pick, if he would be willing to leave his current position.

I, too, would like to know how to get these names in front of the search committee - I'd rather we didn't mess around and waste more time than they already have.

I realize this is our "Christmas wish list" of coaches, but great suggestions, all!!!