22%
Asst/Coord from other Div. I
67%
Someone else (feel free to comment)
11%

Total votes: 9
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Since the last discussion of HC candidates essentially went "off the rails", let's start a new one. I ask that everyone try to keep discussions limited to actual candidates that you'd like to see, qualifications you want the coach to have, etc. Same poll as before, minus the "Hire internally" option, since it looks like that's likely not a possibility at this point.

I'll go ahead and start things up with some of the people who's names I've seen mentioned either on this forum or on twitter, along with a brief description of their qualifications. Feel free to agree with any of them, add your own candidates, or whatever. Obviously, all of this would be contingent upon their interest level...Western (and Illinois in general) right now is a rather "tough sell" for most people.

Who's been mentioned so far:

Jeff Hecklinski - currently QB/Passing Game Coach/Coordinator at CSU-Pueblo (Div. II)
Wikipedia (link above) has his full bio, but for those that don't know, Hecklinski is probably within the top 5 of the best QBs we've had at Western (started '95-'97). QB/WR/Offensive coach at various schools...NAIA, NJCAA, Div. II. Moved right up to FBS level as QB/passing game coach at Arizona. Joined Brady Hoke as WR coach at Ball State, followed Hoke to San Diego State (assistant HC and RBs there), then to Michigan (WR coach there). After Hoke and staff were let go at Michigan, went to be QB/Passing game coach at CSU-Pueblo (Div. II, but one of the best Div. II schools out there...won Div. II championship last year, made it deep in playoffs this year).
Pros - lots of experience at essentially all levels of college football, knows the school and the area very well (Western grad and Chicago-area guy), recognizable name for anyone who was at Western in the late '90s
Cons - technically no HC experience

Glenn Caruso - HC at St. Thomas (Div. III)
Played at Ithaca College, assistant or coordinator at NDSU, UW-Eau Claire, and South Dakota, HC at Macalester (Div. III) for 2 years, then HC at St. Thomas (also Div. III) for 8 years. Is 80-13 as HC at St. Thomas, with 1 Div. III championship (2012) and is playing in championship game again this year this coming Friday evening.
Pros - success as HC, playoff/championship game experience, has coached at a couple of other MVFC programs, so would be familiar with some of the competition
Cons - HC experience all at Div. III level, little to no scholarship management experience, supposedly well-paid for the level of his position (private school...plenty of $) with successful program and nice facilities.

Matt Entz - DC at NDSU
Coached around Div. II for a while, was D-line coach at UNI for 3 years, Associate HC/Co-Def Coord/D-line coach at Western for 1 year, Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers at NDSU for 2 years.
Pros - knows Western and the area, knows the conference very well, excellent defensive coach
Cons - no HC experience

Adam Dorrel - HC at NW Missouri State (Div. II)
Played at NW MO State. Grad assistant at NW MO State for a year, O-Line Coach at Dakota State (NAIA), Assistant Coach at William Jewell (Div. II), Assistant Coach at NW MO State, HC at NW MO State (60-8 record) for 5 years.
Pros - Great success at head coach, familiar with the midwest area.
Cons - Bleeds Bearcat green and white, already HC at a successful program with great support and facilities (so, near impossible to wrestle him away), also no Div. I experience.

Frisman Jackson - current WR coach at Temple University
Like Hecklinski, successful player at Western (after transferring from Northern IL) from the Chicago area...was both QB and WR at times. Played 6 years in NFL with Browns and Jets.
WR coach at Western for two years, Akron for 2 years, Northern IL for 1 year, NC State for 2 years, and Temple for 1 year.
Pros - knows the school and the area, recognizable name for anyone at Western in the early '00s, experience at FCS and FBS levels
Cons - coaching experience limited to WRs, no HC experience
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
LneckDad

Phil Longo - OC at Sam Houston State - significant experience in the "Air Raid" offense. Previously has worked at Southern Illinois as the WR coach, then moved to OC/QB coach and helped SIU lead the MVFC in offense from 2010 -2012. He knows the area, he has experience and certainly the offense he has put together at Sam Houston State is explosive and racks up points. If you want to put fans in the stands, racking up alot of points will do that
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

LneckDad wrote:Phil Longo - OC at Sam Houston State - significant experience in the "Air Raid" offense. Previously has worked at Southern Illinois as the WR coach, then moved to OC/QB coach and helped SIU lead the MVFC in offense from 2010 -2012. He knows the area, he has experience and certainly the offense he has put together at Sam Houston State is explosive and racks up points. If you want to put fans in the stands, racking up alot of points will do that
Good call...seems like he really knows his stuff when it comes to offense.

Couldn't help but notice this on his bio (http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.d ... EASON=2015):
As offensive coordinator at Minnesota-Duluth in 2006 and 2007, Longo tutored quarterback Ted Schlafke who set all of the school’s passing records and led Minnesota-Duluth to the 2008 NCAA Division II national title.
He was OC for UM-Duluth during the "in-between" years when Nielson moved up to AD, before he took back over the team the second time. He's very familiar with much of our previous coaching staff.
Former neck OX

Kalen Deboer - He was one of the candidates for the position at South Dakota, no d1 HC experience, but was very successful at NAIA Sioux Falls

Matt Limegrover- long time assistant of Jerry Kill, Was OL and OC at Minnesota, would be good for him to get some HC experience, big name in midwest recruiting circles.
Lynx

Dale Lennon is looking for work, Terry Allen?
sealhall74

Jeff McMartin, HC Central College (IA) DIII
Trustee, American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) - Rubbed elbows with lots of familiar names (click link below)
AFCA Div. III West Region Coach of the Year--2007
Iowa Conference Coach of the Year--2005, 2006, 2007

Could be our "Pella" connection.
It's all about family with him:

http://www.central.edu/athletics/football/coach.cfm

Interesting note: All of his assistants except one are Central grads; Loyalty to the max
Central College has not had a losing season since 1960
Embrace the pace of the race.
WIU0812

I am pretty sure we will not nor do we probably want to higher a DIII college coach unless they have a lot of experience as a DI assistant. I would expect it to be a DII HC or a DI assistant that we pick.
sealhall74

Co-head Coaches (Lennon for offense and Entz for defense) would be a winning combination.
Co-head coaches are very rare at college level but we would not be the first DI institution to do it (Northwestern State, click below). Might make sense for us. In our position, we might have to do the "Inconceivable". Where have I heard that before?

http://www.nsudemons.com/roster.aspx?pa ... hes_anchor

In fact, the more I think about, I wonder if this might have worked for Yelk and Schlafke. They are pretty close buds from what I gather.
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Not really sure we can afford co-head coaches. Of course, it depends on what you pay them, but I'd bet Lennon was making something around $200k last year and just a guess, but I'd bet Entz is making close to $100k right now.

I doubt Entz would move to almost the same position (D-Coord to Co-HC (Def) ) from a school like NDSU to Western for roughly the same amount of money.
vatusay

If we dont get things worked out with current staff, id love to see Hecklinski hired.

He may give more effort being a product of the program.

He has many connections at the FCS level and big time experience.

Matt Limegrover does seem interesting, also. Ill have to do a bit more reading on him.
#ALLIN #YOLO