From 1979...

beauspencer

I have a subscription to Newspapers.com. Jerry Bey shows up. Cut by the Packers on August 1, 1980. Dace Richardson by the NY Giants. I won't be able to find all, but will be able to track down quite a few.
sealhall74

If I stop in to Malpass on my next visit, would I be able to view (digital, microfiche, hardcopy or other means) all of the old editions of the Western Courier? If so, maybe some of the records and pictures from that era could be restored.
Embrace the pace of the race.
beauspencer

I'm pretty sure all of the old Western Couriers are available on microfiche at the Malpass.
Leatherneck57

sealhall74 wrote:If I stop in to Malpass on my next visit, would I be able to view (digital, microfiche, hardcopy or other means) all of the old editions of the Western Courier? If so, maybe some of the records and pictures from that era could be restored.
That's a great idea but not sure if you find final stats etc. in the Western Courier. Most likely pictures and results of games...

I would think the SID office would have some sort of information archived somewhere...Patrick did mention that he would look once the new football staff was completely hired and signing day was over. I'm sure he will let me know what he finds.

Glad we are all interested in this topic.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Did they do season record books or preseason media guides each year back then?
There's quite a bit of info in those (at least the current versions).

Those might also be available on microfiche at the library.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
Leatherneck57

I would love to know the stats of some of the great players like Passananti, Tipton, Craig Phalen, Bobby Harding, Huskinson and many others. I'm sure they had great numbers because of their All American status. I would imagine our defense was tough as nails with Passananti and Tipton on the front line! The stats I've got are for the '78 and '79 seasons.

I played with Dave Tipton in an Alumni game in 1982 or '83 and he was preparing for USFL tryouts...the guy was a beast! He was strong as an OX! He threw WIU players around like rag dolls. He played in the USFL for a long time and is now a pastor.

That year the old alumni lost to the team 10-6. We had a really good alumni team as you can imagine. I've got photos of the defense from that game I'll post.
Leatherneck57

[quote="ST_Lawson"]Did they do season record books or preseason media guides each year back then?
There's quite a bit of info in those (at least the current versions).

Those might also be available on microfiche at the library.[/quote

Yes...we had media guides back then but I'm not sure I have any of though.
sealhall74

Some of the 1959-60 Couriers are available online and again those from 1997 forward. Huge gap in between. Maybe not enough manpower to scan them?

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/c ... ier/page/1
Embrace the pace of the race.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

More photos added to the flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lawsonpho ... 3302319076
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
rocki

sealhall74 wrote:Some of the 1959-60 Couriers are available online and again those from 1997 forward. Huge gap in between. Maybe not enough manpower to scan them?

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/c ... ier/page/1

Would those "missing years" be ones that the production moved off campus? I remember Bitter Carrot used to be above the donut shop (where Sullivan-Taylor coffee house is now) when it was a tad counterculture. They were really fun to read back in the day - particularly the personal ads. :shock: :lol: