2016/17 Schedule

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Going to start posting what we know about the upcoming schedule for Men's Basketball here....see what we can piece together until our official schedule is released.

11/07 - vs Robert Morris University-Chicago (rumored...could be exhibition...based off a somewhat random tweet by an RMU bball player)
11/11 - at K-State (http://www.kstatesports.com/game-center ... e763a55fa/)
11/13 - vs Oak Hills Christian College (
12/17 - at Milwaukee (http://mkepanthers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball)
12/19 - at Purdue (http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-ba ... 16aaa.html)
12/29 - at Fort Wayne
12/31 - at IUPUI
1/04 - vs SDSU
1/07 - vs Oral Roberts
1/11 - at Denver
1/14 - at Omaha
1/21 - vs NDSU
1/25 - at South Dakota
1/28 - vs IUPUI
2/01 - at SDSU
2/04 - vs Omaha
2/08 - at Oral Roberts
2/14 - vs Denver
2/18 - at NDSU
2/23 - vs South Dakota
2/25 - vs Fort Wayne

Info about opponents:

Oak Hills Christian College - located outside of Bemidji, MN; competes in National Christian College Athletic Association and Northern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

I've also put together a composite Men's/Women's Basketball Schedule that you can view here:
The light purple areas are when WIU is on break, so there's two men's home games and three women's home games in that timeframe.
Also, I've bolded the dates when both the men and women are playing games at home on the same day (double-headers) in case anyone wants to make a point to attend those. And I wanted to point out one more thing...if you're interested in spending the end of the year watching basketball, the women play in Fort Wayne on December 28th, the men play in Fort Wayne on the 29th, and they play a double-header at IUPUI in Indianapolis on the 31st...if you're into that sort of thing.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

November 13 is a Sunday. That would be an unusual day for a game. And it would be up against the NFL games.
leatherneckcountry

I hate how late we announce the schedule it's almost disrespectful to the fans Molinari did the same thing.
wiu2013

From what I heard the schedule is not completely finished, so it will not be released until then.
vatusay

Yea, scheduling games on a Sunday in the fall isn't too bright.
#ALLIN #YOLO
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Conference schedule just got released: http://thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/schedule

I'll update my first post of this thread with the additions.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

[tweet]753308221289431041[/tweet]
JoeWx21

Why are the teams hating the conference scheduling?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

JoeWx21 wrote:Why are the teams hating the conference scheduling?
I haven't looked to closely at other team's schedules, but if everyone has stretches like this, then I can see where they'd not be too happy:
1/14 - at Omaha
1/21 - vs NDSU
1/25 - at South Dakota
1/28 - vs IUPUI
2/01 - at SDSU
2/04 - vs Omaha
2/08 - at Oral Roberts
2/14 - vs Denver
2/18 - at NDSU
2/23 - vs South Dakota

So...the team is out in Denver, then to go to Omaha....that's fine, not a big deal....there's a couple of days in between, so they take a bus one day and rest/practice the rest of the time.
From there, they go home to play NDSU, then to South Dakota to play, then back home, then back to South Dakota to play, then back home, then to Oklahoma, then back home, then back up to the Dakotas (North, this time), then back home.
Lots of jumping back and forth and stuff.

I understand that sometimes scheduling can be a bit tricky to work out, but they used to do Thursday and Saturday evening/afternoon games, and they'd do the pair either at home, or at two fairly "close" opponents (couple of the Dakota teams, IUPUI/IPFW, Denver/Omaha, etc.) to minimize travel. Now, they've moved many of the mid-week games to Wednesday to allow for more travel time, but all that back-and-forth traveling means more traveling costs, more time away from classes for the players, more time on the road (or in an airport/airplane), more time in hotels, and lest rest overall. Just makes for kinda a rough stretch with not a lot of consistency for the players.
sealhall74

Complaints from others I have seen involve pairing up the rivals (e.g. SDSU and NDSU when students are out of town). We aint got that problem but I wish we did. Scheduling is tough to be absolutely fair to all parties. Some schools fly and possibly bus to every away game. Others (like us) are sort of caught in the middle and have a few long bus rides to deal with during the year This new scheme might be an attempt to better handle the 20 hour limit imposed by NCAA but that is just a guess on my part. Being a techie, I wonder if the scheduling was done by a bunch of Summit League interns standing in front of a whiteboard or whether some sort of simulation software was used which incorporated travel times, out of class hours, etc.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... cument.pdf
Embrace the pace of the race.