Kansas St.

JoeWx21

Well just watching the 1st half the defense is doing pretty good. Gilbeck holding his own in the paint. But good God, the offense is terrible. That boring, slow moving, no motion, one shot Jim Molinari offense is back and hurting them. Too many dribbles, no passes into the paint to open up some driving lanes, and too many dumb shots. Here's to another long basketball year.
sealhall74

Gilbeck does a decent job defensively and on the boards. Still needs to learn to go straight up on block attempts instead of reaching in. Offense is struggling but without an inside scoring threat, it is going to be difficult.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Necks2003

We need a point guard that can run the offense and make shots. Glad to see the Duffy kid start, but he didn't really do anything so far. Hopefully he can knock down some shots and get things going.
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Just to be clear, I know slightly more than zilch about basketball.

I like some of the comments that the announcers were making near the end of halftime and early in the second half about the team and Covington. Sometimes you'll get announcers that treat you like you're nobody...like you're on par with a bad community college team or something, and maybe it's because of the win over Wisconsin last year, but what little I've watched so far, they've been pretty respectful.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
wiu712

Kansas State wins the game 82-55.

Garrett Covington led the Western scoring with 17 points. Dalan Ancrum had 12.
JoeWx21

WIU highlight stats
Field Goals: 19-52 (11-30 minus 3s) (36%)
3-pointers: 8-22 (35%)
Free Throws: 9-17 (53%)
Assists: 8
Turnovers: 16
Fouls: 16

Again, no movement in the offense. A lot of 4 corners style with the dribble drive then pass it up. Lots of steals on anticipation passes. The ball handling was horrendous by everyone. Too many double teams and panicking (saw no one pass the ball out to reset). Lots of dumb shots into the offense. Now they did have that nice run in the 2nd half to get it down to 8, but the bad habits came back. The defense was the only high point of this team. They have to play a complete game with a better offensive tempo next game.

Coach needs to work on the ball handling, free throws, and decision making or like I said it will be a long basketball season.
wiu2017

These freshman ain't ready, Ancrum looks good just needs more playing time..leave him in the game let him get better. When Ancrum was taken out , game was over no hope.. Gilbeck played good. Covington made some shots but when he is in the offense is one demensional. ,.. These 5'10 guards cant get it done sorry.. Game should have been closer..
wiu712

Attendance at Kansas State = 11,644.

Home opener will be Sunday at 5PM vs Oak Hills Christian (Bemidji, Minnesota).
wiu2013

I can't believe we have already started ripping the team apart after the FIRST Game! Did you expect them to look like the team that beat Wisconsin? This is essentially a brand new team. Outside of Garrett and Jabari none of these players played significant minutes or made significant contributions before this year! Yes, Brandon played significant minutes but he was just trying to find his way. I also beg to differ, CJ is going to be a hell of a player and Jeremiah is a great shooter that will also contribute at some point. Again, it was there first game!
They have pieces and potential to be a good team and show great improvement, so can we wait at least a month before "we" begin to bash them as a team?
meganeck

Is Miklusak hurt?

Also I agree, I think CJ Duff is ready, he hasn't looked bad for a freshman