vs Oak Hills Christian

wiu712

Western beat Oak Hills Christian 95-48 tonight at Western Hall.

This was Oak Hill's third game in a row. They came into Macomb with an 0-7 record. They only had 8 players and 1 coach.

Western shot 60% (39 of 65).

Garrett Covington led the Western scoring with 15 points. Dalan Ancrum had 13. Jabari Sandifer, Lynrick Moxey, and Jalen Morgan each had 10.

Attendance at Western Hall = 572.

Western continues its home slate Wednesday when Southeast Missouri State (SEMO) comes to town. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. inside Western Hall and the contest is schedule to air live on ESPN3.
sealhall74

Eight players for OHC. Our big space-eaters should have owned the boards in this one. Instead our guards were getting all of the rebounds. Maybe just maybe the laws of physics were kicking in and all of the forced long range shots by OHC were creating longer rebounds? Whatever, I will let the big kids slide by in this one, but not on Wednesday against SEMO.
Embrace the pace of the race.
Rocky Swishterson

Whoppi! So we play a big time hoops school like K-State and get killed and then turn around and play a small fry program and kill them. What exactly are we learning and who is putting together this schedule? :oops: :oops:
vatusay

Wow great team win, necks!
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2013

Rocky Swishterson wrote:Whoppi! So we play a big time hoops school like K-State and get killed and then turn around and play a small fry program and kill them. What exactly are we learning and who is putting together this schedule? :oops: :oops:

1. Do you know why we play school likes K-State, Purdue, Wisconsin?? To make money for the program and the athletic department.
95% of the time we are going to get beat, but we hope it is not a blow-out. There are also those few times when an upset occurs, which is always great for college sports!

2. What are we learning from playing small schools? You are providing game time experience to players who most likely will not get a lot of playing time. This playing time becomes valuable when they may need to play for some reason. All players are getting the opportunity to work on plays, defense, etc. against an opponent in a game-time situation that may not happen occur during other games, We are learning not to crush their spirits and confidence so early in the season. If you take a look at the schedule it is a mix of extremely hard games (Purdue, K-State), a few cupcakes (confidence builders), and competitive games (Miami of Ohio, SEMO, Milwaukee). I think whomever put the schedule together did a good job!
Western_101

I don't think it is a good OOC schedule. Two of those teams coming into Western Hall are less competitive than High School teams and aren't even NAIA let alone NCAA 1,2,or 3.

So we get SEMO and EIU to come to Macomb that's it? Not saying I could do better its likely hard to get any decent program to come to Macomb right now Western has been an RPI SOS turd of late. Can we really not even get a home and home with Bradley? I know they wouldn't come here in the Molinari era but that is long past.
beauspencer

In response to the home schedule. It's always gonna stink. Nobody wants to play at WIU. The travel sucks, as you have to fly into Peoria and Macomb then bus over 90 minutes. No, Bradley will still not play at WIU, nor will most if not all MVC schools (look at Evansville a couple years ago - skipped out playing at WIU on return game from BracketBusters by paying WIU to play in Coaches vs Cancer tourney). I don't have first hand knowledge regarding this year's schedule, but I would assume the non-D1 teams really stink because the university is in such financial trouble that the Athletics department lacks the funds to pay higher level lower division programs to come in.
sealhall74

beauspencer wrote:In response to the home schedule. It's always gonna stink. Nobody wants to play at WIU. The travel sucks, as you have to fly into Peoria and Macomb then bus over 90 minutes. No, Bradley will still not play at WIU, nor will most if not all MVC schools (look at Evansville a couple years ago - skipped out playing at WIU on return game from BracketBusters by paying WIU to play in Coaches vs Cancer tourney). I don't have first hand knowledge regarding this year's schedule, but I would assume the non-D1 teams really stink because the university is in such financial trouble that the Athletics department lacks the funds to pay higher level lower division programs to come in.
Agree. The best thing that could happen is Summit League expansion to 12 teams. That would give us 3 extra home games and make non-conf scheduling less of an issue. That said, I do think the Illinois state schools really have to look out for each other, especially during these budget-strapped times. Every year, we should be able to look forward to a couple of them lacing up their sneakers inside Western Hall. Even the high and mighty Fighting Illini should be forced to play one game a year on the road against someone, just as IU did against Fort Wayne last night. Of course, they might want to do a better job of preventing a Leatherneck storming of the court after the game than did the Hoosiers.

Oh well, on to Crown College at 2pm today. They have about 30 players on their roster (doubt they all wll come) and a few around 6.5 feet tall. North Dakota put 'em down by about 50. Give Cov and Jabari about 5 minutes and set 'em down for the remainder of it. Our youngsters need some PT. Put a couple of bigs on the court and have them setting some picks for each other, instead of just for the guards beyond the arc. For the life of me, I can never understand why a center goes out 5 feet beyond the arc to set a pick but I see it time and time again. Also see them out there providing weak side help in the pack line. That one also baffles me.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

beauspencer wrote:In response to the home schedule. It's always gonna stink. Nobody wants to play at WIU. The travel sucks, as you have to fly into Peoria and Macomb then bus over 90 minutes. No, Bradley will still not play at WIU, nor will most if not all MVC schools...
The Women seem to do better in getting teams to play at Western Hall. Northern Illinois, Bradley, Eastern Illinois, and Illinois State will be playing in Macomb this year.