Gameday @EIU

ST_Lawson
Site Admin

Wait...is this a thing? How did I not know this was a thing?

Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

ST_Lawson wrote:Wait...is this a thing? How did I not know this was a thing?

It is so old you have to be an oldtimer to remember it I guess. I never heard of it either and I was around back in late 70s when the trophy originated. The article below says it is not a traveling trophy but each university has an "axe" plaque and I assume they just engrave something on it if you win that year. 712, you will have to do your homework and let us know where our plaque is. Even though we play them twice a year, only one game is the so-called "railsplitter" game.

http://thekeep.eiu.edu/cgi/viewcontent. ... 977#page=4
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu712

This Old Railsplitter Trophy is news to me too.

This would be a good question for Western historian John Hallwas.
sealhall74

Watching Tenn and Wisconsin on TV now. Wishin we had a guy like Ethan Happ (Milan, IL). Tall and can put the ball in the bucket. We dont have a guy like him just yet. Does not mean we cant have something Wisconsin does have and that is their 3-2 zone defense. I think it would protect Gillbeck a bit. Our 3 on top have some length and could wreak some havoc out there. Our packline defense is just so-so this year IMO. Might be a little too complicated for our inexperienced guys. Not saying you have to get rid of it, just mix it up with some true zone, something everyone knows how to play. Just armchair coaching but something to think about while I am wishing I was in Maui watching this stuff in person. Orlando this coming weekend at the Advocare Invite followed by Necks and Eagles next Tuesday will have to do for now.
Embrace the pace of the race.
leatherneckcountry

sealhall74 wrote:Watching Tenn and Wisconsin on TV now. Wishin we had a guy like Ethan Happ (Milan, IL). Tall and can put the ball in the bucket. We dont have a guy like him just yet. Does not mean we cant have something Wisconsin does have and that is their 3-2 zone defense. I think it would protect Gillbeck a bit. Our 3 on top have some length and could wreak some havoc out there. Our packline defense is just so-so this year IMO. Might be a little too complicated for our inexperienced guys. Not saying you have to get rid of it, just mix it up with some true zone, something everyone knows how to play. Just armchair coaching but something to think about while I am wishing I was in Maui watching this stuff in person. Orlando this coming weekend at the Advocare Invite followed by Necks and Eagles next Tuesday will have to do for now.
I know Ethan personally and just one of the best kids I've met Wisconsin and Iowa got on him after his sophmore year his Cousin is Ja Happ.
Blackjack

Yeah watching other D1 schools play makes you even more frustrated with WIU. I say, Forget about Gilbeck, and forget acting like Sandifer and Covington are special players,, Yes zone would work, especially against teams that don't shoot great from three, many schools that always played strict man are going to zone or a mix. Zone would work better with shot blockers and long athletic rebounders, Go with Morgan, Ancrum and either Claar or Snyder protecting to rim.. Then get out and run, be athletic. get some transition buckets.. Throw some damn ally-oops. Ancrum, Morgan and Claar are great leapers, I'm sure they can go get it .. All our guards are good shooters from three. Ancrum is 6'6 can jump and shoots above 40% from three. If the offense wasn't all about Cov, nobody would be talking about Cov, and I think we would put up way more points and less turnovers.
For example, Ancrum never gets a ball screen yet he still gets to the bucket, finds open shooters, and he plays defense, deflects passes, blocks shots. When Cov gets the ball the body language of his teamates says , they dont expect to get he ball.. not good.
Have we even scored 70 points yet.. I can't deny Cov hits some tough shots and is a threat, but not the player hyped up to be, and it kills team play. We have enough talent to beat everyone on the schedule except Purdue. And we should at least challenge them. Just my take, whatever they do hope things get better.