11/29 @ American U

wiu2013

Yes, coaches definitely know when to run for greener pastures! When I heard that we may be battling for position with South Dakota and South Dakota State, I was shocked to hear that South Dakota State could ever be in the middle or bottom of the pack in the Summit.
I wonder if the South Dakota State fans are as judgmental as this board ;)
wiu2013

vatusay wrote:Also, miklusak has impressed me his time back.

The seniors this year were Billy's recruits his last year with mo, correct? Molinari coached one year after billy left? So all the players are Billy's minus the juniors right?
As an assistant you can bring as many recruits as you want to the table, but the ultimate decision comes from the head coach as to who gets an offer. So, although Billy may have recruited Garrett and Jabari they may not have been his first choice of players.

Also, if you think back to how many players Billy had to sign before his first year began because WIU had no commitments and more than usual scholarships to fill. You are already put behind the 8-ball trying to recruit players in April/May/June to begin school in August. At this point talent is minimum to none....welcome to WIU
vatusay

I just don't see how they keep losing when they are #ALLIN
#ALLIN #YOLO
leatherneckcountry

wiu2013 wrote:
vatusay wrote:Also, miklusak has impressed me his time back.

The seniors this year were Billy's recruits his last year with mo, correct? Molinari coached one year after billy left? So all the players are Billy's minus the juniors right?
As an assistant you can bring as many recruits as you want to the table, but the ultimate decision comes from the head coach as to who gets an offer. So, although Billy may have recruited Garrett and Jabari they may not have been his first choice of players.

Also, if you think back to how many players Billy had to sign before his first year began because WIU had no commitments and more than usual scholarships to fill. You are already put behind the 8-ball trying to recruit players in April/May/June to begin school in August. At this point talent is minimum to none....welcome to WIU
Really he never missed a recruiting class.
wiu2017

vatusay wrote:I just don't see how they keep losing when they are #ALLIN
love the sarcasm.. :lol:
hmmm.. yeah me too. maybe we just need a new mantra, like all in for the first half.. .. If you are a D1 player on scholarship the "ALLIN" standard should be a minimum. Unfortunately ALLIN doesn't mean win games. But it is about having good values and discipline, so thats good. You and I seem to agree on everything, we are the so called complainers I guess. We are supposed to be happy because Cov is scoring so much, ignore everything else, because this team just doesn't have any talent. Yeeeaaaahh Riiight...?/
vatusay

I've noticed that also. I don't mind being labeled a "complainer" when there is CLEARLY reason to be. How is everyone, from the fans to the administration, NOT complaining? Team is dreadful with no signs of getting better this year or any in the near future.

I consider myself a realist. Call it like I see it. Not saying always right or wrong. Sometimes things stink and sometimes they are all good. No point in trying to make situations out to be better than they appear.

Look, I want this team to be good. I want Covington to be all-American. I want to see WIU celebrating on selection Sunday. Unfortunately I think our chances came and went with obi in 2012 with no reason to believe there will be another chance any time soon. I thought when DT was here they were on the fast track. Stellar recruiting classes one right after the other. Well we all know how that turned out. Then watching ceola, TP, and obi almost do it 2011-2112 was great. Then the bad omen of a man named Scott Sutton came and stole the guy that would have got them there the next year. I don't see win in the dance during Wright's tenure here.

Hope I'm wrong boiz.

PS.

The "ALL-IN" comments on every player and recruit is exhausting.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2017

Purdue vs louisville, looks like we might be able to stay in the game with Purdue, if Coach Wright can see their weaknesses, . We gotta make them turn the ball over, and hit shots and I think we can be in it. I didn't say win it, but we can compete. We were in the Kstate game till coach started his crazy subbing and Kstate got a bunch of fast breaks. Keep hope alive!
wiu2013

wiu2017 wrote:Purdue vs louisville, looks like we might be able to stay in the game with Purdue, if Coach Wright can see their weaknesses, . We gotta make them turn the ball over, and hit shots and I think we can be in it. I didn't say win it, but we can compete. We were in the Kstate game till coach started his crazy subbing and Kstate got a bunch of fast breaks. Keep hope alive!
I am sometimes the most optimistic person that this team will somehow figure it out, but stay in the game with Purdue... I watch Purdue games frequently and their center Isaac Haas will have a field day with Brandon! I think we will match up well (1-3) position, but I think Mike/Dalan playing the 4 with Caleb Swannigan will struggle because of weight.

I just have a question since you seem to bring up subbing frequently...how many mistakes (turnovers, defense miscues, not knowing the plays) should one player be allowed to make before you pull them out of the game?
ST_Lawson
Site Admin

wiu2013 wrote:...and their center Isaac Haas will have a field day with Brandon!
For a second there I thought you said Isaac Hays was playing center for Purdue.
Scott Lawson - Board Admin
Western Illinois University Alum/Fan/Employee
Member of the Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000
sealhall74

wiu2013 wrote:
wiu2017 wrote:Purdue vs louisville, looks like we might be able to stay in the game with Purdue, if Coach Wright can see their weaknesses, . We gotta make them turn the ball over, and hit shots and I think we can be in it. I didn't say win it, but we can compete. We were in the Kstate game till coach started his crazy subbing and Kstate got a bunch of fast breaks. Keep hope alive!
I am sometimes the most optimistic person that this team will somehow figure it out, but stay in the game with Purdue... I watch Purdue games frequently and their center Isaac Haas will have a field day with Brandon! I think we will match up well (1-3) position, but I think Mike/Dalan playing the 4 with Caleb Swannigan will struggle because of weight.

I just have a question since you seem to bring up subbing frequently...how many mistakes (turnovers, defense miscues, not knowing the plays) should one player be allowed to make before you pull them out of the game?
My mathematical two cents regarding subbing players out is this: Let Fups be the number of times a player is pulled for "F"ing up. Let Rups be the number of times a player is pulled to "rest" up. If (Fups > Rups) then coach will be looking for a new job sooner before later.

Realistically, no coach at the D 1 level can win down the stretch of a long conference season by going with more than 8 or 9 guys during a game. In fact, the American U coach used only 8 against us and they managed to find a certain rhythm during the game that ultimately sunk us. I think Billy's subbing patterns thus far are mostly just an attempt to find out who his 8 or 9 guys are going to be. Not an easy task because we seem to have several guys who can defend OK but can't score for sh** and vice versa.
Embrace the pace of the race.