11/29 @ American U

wiu2013

sealhall74 wrote:
wiu2013 wrote:
wiu2017 wrote:Purdue vs louisville, looks like we might be able to stay in the game with Purdue, if Coach Wright can see their weaknesses, . We gotta make them turn the ball over, and hit shots and I think we can be in it. I didn't say win it, but we can compete. We were in the Kstate game till coach started his crazy subbing and Kstate got a bunch of fast breaks. Keep hope alive!
I am sometimes the most optimistic person that this team will somehow figure it out, but stay in the game with Purdue... I watch Purdue games frequently and their center Isaac Haas will have a field day with Brandon! I think we will match up well (1-3) position, but I think Mike/Dalan playing the 4 with Caleb Swannigan will struggle because of weight.

I just have a question since you seem to bring up subbing frequently...how many mistakes (turnovers, defense miscues, not knowing the plays) should one player be allowed to make before you pull them out of the game?
My mathematical two cents regarding subbing players out is this: Let Fups be the number of times a player is pulled for "F"ing up. Let Rups be the number of times a player is pulled to "rest" up. If (Fups > Rups) then coach will be looking for a new job sooner before later.

Realistically, no coach at the D 1 level can win down the stretch of a long conference season by going with more than 8 or 9 guys during a game. In fact, the American U coach used only 8 against us and they managed to find a certain rhythm during the game that ultimately sunk us. I think Billy's subbing patterns thus far are mostly just an attempt to find out who his 8 or 9 guys are going to be. Not an easy task because we seem to have several guys who can defend OK but can't score for sh** and vice versa.
And there we have it... this team defends pretty well, they just can't score for sh**! Garrett who I think is a horrible defender, but he is going to give you the big points you need. Unfortunately, there is no one else you can count on for a consistent 10-15 a game. Possibly Mike, but it is not 100% guaranteed. I think that is why CJ was recruited because he was a scorer in high school, but he is a freshman so we cannot expect him to put up 10-15 points a game.
I also believe the rotation of players will subside soon. I know we all hate losing, but they need games to figure out who works best together. This cannot be determined in practice when they are playing against each other. Now this is not my declaration that they are going to start winning once they figure out a rotation!
beauspencer

I'm skipping three pages of this thread to address the following comment....
Covington (viewed to be best player program has seen for a while) would hardly see the floor, if at all, on the TP CC teams. Can't think of one guy he would start over and mcavoy would come off the bench before him.
Are you freaking kidding me?!?! This may be the single dumbest comment I've read on this forum. I was with the CC/TP teams. Watched every single game, traveled with the team, and took in many, many practices. Garret Covington would ABSOLUTELY have started on those teams.
beauspencer

PS: I love every one of those guys on those CC/TP teams. This is in no way a slight on any player from that team. Just that Covington is that good of a basketball player.
vatusay

Opinions are a great thing.
#ALLIN #YOLO
vatusay

But I did say he would have started in 2012-2013 with obi gone.

I had gone overboard with hardly see the floor comment. Clearly wrong.
Last edited by vatusay on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ALLIN #YOLO
vatusay

vatusay wrote:Ok he would have started in 2012-2013 with obi gone to oral Roberts. STILL burns me. Although, If obi doesn't leave he is the seventh man after mcavoy, who I was pretty critical of, but he always brought a spark. Perfect 6th man. So I concede you are right.
I had back-tracked.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

beauspencer wrote:I'm skipping three pages of this thread to address the following comment....
Covington (viewed to be best player program has seen for a while) would hardly see the floor, if at all, on the TP CC teams. Can't think of one guy he would start over and mcavoy would come off the bench before him.
Are you freaking kidding me?!?! This may be the single dumbest comment I've read on this forum. I was with the CC/TP teams. Watched every single game, traveled with the team, and took in many, many practices. Garret Covington would ABSOLUTELY have started on those teams.
Cov makes my top 5 during Mo and Billy eras. He is in top 3 actually with TP and CC. Stay tuned for my 4 and 5 spots. Beau, are you still working on that book?
Embrace the pace of the race.
letsgonecks

WIU has been historically terrible at finishing games. Even our good teams in the 90's and the TP/CC teams couldn't find a way to finish the big games. We've had a few horrible teams over the years, but we've also had decent teams with decent talent that just couldn't finish on a regular basis. This year falls under that same group.

Look back through the last ten years and you'll see low win teams with a lot of their losses under 10 points. I'm sure you'll find a point in most of those games where they allowed a second half run and had no answer. Maybe folded in the last few minutes.

Teams with David Dubois, a very good redshirt freshamn CC3, Quienten Kirby, David Nurse, Josh Rivers, decent freshman Tommy Tyler. They lacked size with Granstra the only real big doing anything, but plenty of ability to score. They lost 12 games by 10 or fewer.

I was really hoping the TP/CC era was going to break this program out of this funk and even thought the WIS win last year would do it.......but doesn't seem to be the case.

Not giving up yet on this team, but they better figure something out before conference starts. Conference wins are really all that matter, so we can make the tourney and make a run.