12/3 Chicago State

wiu712

Saturday's attendance of 823 has to be considered very disappointing.

Western will probably need to come up with some aggressive marketing and promoting to boost that attendance number.
wiu2017

wiu2013 wrote:No excuses for this team because they are soft and have been told that they were soft! They were told last night at the game as I sat behind the bench.

I also heard Jabari has knee issues and that is why he sat out a few games. Is his knee injury effecting his ability to make smart plays?? I also heard Snyder may be dealing with some injury issues.

So many of you are so high on Ancrum and have mentioned Jalen Morgan. They can not remember a play if you hold their hand and walk them to their spots. Maybe it is me that just notices that Ancrum drives to the basket with no plan and gets caught in a mess.

I do believe a lot of these players would have been let go a few years ago when Coach Wright got here, but he had to keep them, and here we are with us telling him to kick rocks etc, etc. Coach Mo KNEW what he was doing when he left and the mess that he was leaving behind!
I do remember some drives that Ancrum screwed up on.. He didn't play much last two years. He is learning. What plays are you talking about,, they don't run plays. Its a basic dribble drive offense created by Calipari at Memphis for guys like Ancrum to penetrate and kick out..
This offense is all about Covington and i've seen Ancrum give up many shots and driving opportunity to give it to Covington. Is that a play.. ??
Ancrum has flaws, yes but he has the ability to make good things happen. He just isn't coached right and needs more experience. He leads in offensive rebounding by far, he is shooting like 42% from three, and making 70+ percent freethrows. deflects passes. He makes good passes. Who else is gonna help this team, Mike is good but cant do what Ancrum can do. I just think if you have both Mike and Ancrum in you will have better offense and defense, and give covington some room to go one on one..

But it doesn't matter Wright is not a guy that can see and develop talent.. nothing will change.
JoeWx21

meganeck wrote:
JoeWx21 wrote:Well if Coach Wright wasn't on the hot seat before, he is now. He is now 18-43 in not even two in a half years as the head coach. He may have a great resume as a player, and is one hell of a recruiter but the guy cannot coach. High school coaches can out coach him. He doesn't change the offense to suit the defense they are playing against, and he doesn't change the defense to combat the opponents strength. It doesn't seem he teaches a proper technique to rebound, I do not see anyone taking charges or committing hard/good fouls in the paint, and no scrappy/dirty play. All I see is a bunch of guys who have good talent, but wants to be the pretty boy and be the scorer from mid-range to three's.

If I was AD Tanney I have a talk with Coach Wright and tell him he is under evaluation about coming back for next season. 3 straight losing season after 2 winning seasons in tournament play. What the F*** happen?

No one can say he has been successful especially losing 6 games against all the division 1 teams. Now we can see why we cannot get the bigger schools to play against us when the coaches and players are stuck in the high school basketball mindset.
I assume you are not counting the 2 wins against this season against non D1 opponents, because I think I saw he had 20 wins. Anyway I doubt Wright goes anywhere because of WIU's money trouble. One they would have to spend money to do and coaching search and 2 honestly who would want to come here with the current situation so we are probably stuck with Wright.
Yes, you are correct he is 20-43...but take out his non-Division 1 wins, and he record is 13-43. Unless coach wright can someway some how pull 15 wins out of his a** this season he has to go. He said this team would run more, open up the offense, and play smart defense...but it's the old boring one shot offense with no one to rebound, then it's man to man defense with no one talking and no one wants to take charges or rebound. Again, no one wants to play scrappy/dirty (and when I mean dirty I mean diving for loose balls, cutting into the paint, helping out on D, etc...the way Rodman used to play). I don't know what it will take for coach wright to start coaching and get this team's mentality to start playing hard. Forget about winning...how about playing for some respect.
sealhall74

wiu712 wrote:Saturday's attendance of 823 has to be considered very disappointing.

Western will probably need to come up with some aggressive marketing and promoting to boost that attendance number.
Maybe if we tell everyone that Korfball is coming to Western Hall, it will help. The game is co-ed and the rules prevent physical strength from dominating the game. :lol:

Humor aside, it might actually work as the half-time entertainment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korfball

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
sealhall74

I have been on the Ancrum bandwagon ever since he got here. Obviously needed to be redshirted his first year. He should have come out of that redshirt year no less than 200#. IMO, the kid has made two of the most athletic plays I have seen in my 8-9 years watching. One was earlier this year when he jumped into the lane to sky for an offensive rebound and slammed it down all with one hand in a pretty smooth motion. The other was last year, a drive along the baseline to the rim and finish. It was like magic. Seemed like two long strides to the rim was all it took. The kid has some raw talent. Just needs some meat and core strength on his frame. 7 foot wing spans on a kid that size dont come along that often. I saw the Iowa State Burton kid (6'4 with the same 7 foot wing span) play last weekend. Putting up 3s from everywhere. Taking the ball to rim with authority. He has that meat on his frame. Goes about 230#.

Billy just has to realize what his kids have to offer and put it to good use. Mo had the exact same problem. It is one thing to have an identity. A completely different thing to have the players who can make it work. Biggest difference between Mo and Billy is that Billy is a nice guy. A kid's family shows up a game. Billy will give him extra PT that game. Mo would never do that. A kid does not produce his first year or two. Billy keeps him around. Mo would cut him loose.

If you have not seen nor heard of Deonte Burton, here is a little sampling of what the kid can do. You will be impressed.

[youtube][/youtube]
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2013

[quote="sealhall74"]
Billy just has to realize what his kids have to offer and put it to good use. Mo had the exact same problem. It is one thing to have an identity. A completely different thing to have the players who can make it work. Biggest difference between Mo and Billy is that Billy is a nice guy. A kid's family shows up a game. Billy will give him extra PT that game. Mo would never do that. A kid does not produce his first year or two. Billy keeps him around. Mo would cut him loose.

Once again you have made a good point that the "bench coaches" of America does not understand. Coach Mo would definitely let players go after the first one or two years if they were not producing or players would just leave because Coach Mo was not the nicest of guys. What the "bench coaches" of America do not understand is that screws a program and the regulations that must be followed or met. Coach Wright may want to get rid of everyone on the team and recruit players the he wants not what Coach Mo wanted, but he may not be able to at this time, so he is left with players with minimum to no talent. I watched Coach Wright play throughout his years at Bradley and that team had a toughness. Don't you think he would recruit guys with the same type of toughness, not a team full of players that do not want to get their hands dirty! Has Coach Wright done the best job of maximizing their talent? Maybe not, and there are things he can definitely improve as a coach. Coach Mo knew what he was doing and what he was leaving behind when he left for Nebraska.
vatusay

Again, wright had a hand in recruiting every player on this team.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2013

Again, as an assistant coach you can only bring players to the table. The head coach decides who gets to eat. So, If Coach Wright brought 15 point guards to Coach Mo's attention and Coach Mo rejects them then Coach Wright has to keep looking. Now we are at Jabari, who may be choice number 16 on Coach Wright's list, but #1 on Coach Mo's list. So Coach Wright may have had a hand in some of these guys but they may not have been his number one pick. Also, keep in mind that there were 2 other assistant coaches that recruited at this time, so they could have been another coach's choice.
vatusay

Mike, garret, and Jabari are the last guys from molinari days.

The rest are Wright's.

It's his job to do the best with what he has. That's why he gets paid. Obviously, the product on the floor and the results leave much to be desired.

They lost to Chicago state AT HOME.

What was his record as a high school head coach? Truly don't know.

At least there are fancy comfy seats in western hall now. So we got that goin for us.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2017

sealhall74 wrote:I have been on the Ancrum bandwagon ever since he got here. Obviously needed to be redshirted his first year. He should have come out of that redshirt year no less than 200#. IMO, the kid has made two of the most athletic plays I have seen in my 8-9 years watching. One was earlier this year when he jumped into the lane to sky for an offensive rebound and slammed it down all with one hand in a pretty smooth motion. The other was last year, a drive along the baseline to the rim and finish. It was like magic. Seemed like two long strides to the rim was all it took. The kid has some raw talent. Just needs some meat and core strength on his frame. 7 foot wing spans on a kid that size dont come along that often. I saw the Iowa State Burton kid (6'4 with the same 7 foot wing span) play last weekend. Putting up 3s from everywhere. Taking the ball to rim with authority. He has that meat on his frame. Goes about 230#.

If you have not seen nor heard of Deonte Burton, here is a little sampling of what the kid can do. You will be impressed.

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks, yes he is light weight, but lots of skinny kids in D1 do well, one plays for the lakers now, . Did you see the fall Ancrum took hustling for offensive rebound in overtime last game. It gave us the ball back. Some guys would have went to the bench after a body slam fall like that.. Just sayin, skinny but tough.
Needs to be playing 30 min a game.. think about it, we work so hard to get an open look, what is not an open look for Ancrum, 6'6 and elevates like Reggie Miller, he is always open.. He doesn't need to remember plays, lol , just give him the ball and let him shoot, Then the defense will rotate off of Covington ,,and boom, and they better not leave Mike or CJ open.. This team has plenty of talent.. We should only have lost to Kstate, and we were in the game till Ancrum got benched, for driving and trying to get fouled but didn't get the call. Coaching is teaching also..