12/3 Chicago State

wiu2017

sealhall74 wrote:I have been on the Ancrum bandwagon ever since he got here. Obviously needed to be redshirted his first year. He should have come out of that redshirt year no less than 200#. IMO, the kid has made two of the most athletic plays I have seen in my 8-9 years watching. One was earlier this year when he jumped into the lane to sky for an offensive rebound and slammed it down all with one hand in a pretty smooth motion. The other was last year, a drive along the baseline to the rim and finish. It was like magic. Seemed like two long strides to the rim was all it took. The kid has some raw talent. Just needs some meat and core strength on his frame. 7 foot wing spans on a kid that size dont come along that often. I saw the Iowa State Burton kid (6'4 with the same 7 foot wing span) play last weekend. Putting up 3s from everywhere. Taking the ball to rim with authority. He has that meat on his frame. Goes about 230#.

Billy just has to realize what his kids have to offer and put it to good use. Mo had the exact same problem. It is one thing to have an identity. A completely different thing to have the players who can make it work. Biggest difference between Mo and Billy is that Billy is a nice guy. A kid's family shows up a game. Billy will give him extra PT that game. Mo would never do that. A kid does not produce his first year or two. Billy keeps him around. Mo would cut him loose.

If you have not seen nor heard of Deonte Burton, here is a little sampling of what the kid can do. You will be impressed.

[youtube][/youtube]

Thanks, yes he is light weight, but lots of skinny kids in D1 do well, one plays for the lakers now, . Did you see the fall Ancrum took hustling for offensive rebound in overtime last game. It gave us the ball back. Some guys would have went to the bench after a body slam fall like that.. Just sayin, skinny but tough.
Needs to be playing 30 min a game.. think about it, we work so hard to get an open look, what is not an open look for Ancrum, 6'6 and elevates like Reggie Miller, he is always open.. He doesn't need to remember plays, lol , just give him the ball and let him shoot, Then the defense will rotate off of Covington ,,and boom, and they better not leave Mike or CJ open.. This team has plenty of talent.. We should only have lost to Kstate, and we were in the game till Ancrum got benched, for driving and trying to get fouled but didn't get the call. Coaching is teaching also..
vatusay

What drives me nuts is how you watch other teams that move the ball with purpose, not just pass it around behind the arc hoping garret gets free. High school teams can execute a better offense.
#ALLIN #YOLO
sealhall74

vatusay wrote:What drives me nuts is how you watch other teams that move the ball with purpose, not just pass it around behind the arc hoping garret gets free. High school teams can execute a better offense.
I agree. Another thing that really bothers me is the complete lack of purposeful rolls to the bucket after a guys sets a pick out near the perimeter. It is like the entire offense is geared around getting the guards an open look. I about had a heart attack the other night against AU when Jordan Hughes executed a very nice roll to the bucket for an easy deuce.
Embrace the pace of the race.
vatusay

I've seen gilbeck set plenty of screens and be under the basket with his hand up, but the ball doesn't find him.
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2013

Brandon could have scored 10 or more points Saturday. There were at least 3 to 4 plays run for him specifically and he blew EVERY shot including a dunk. Same thing happened at American and Miami of Ohio.
vatusay

Probably shocked him lol
#ALLIN #YOLO
wiu2017

Poor Gilbeck, I think its both being shocked that he got a pass and lack of skill.. Gilbeck needs to realize he is 6'11 and big.. Why is he shooting hook shots. He should be overpowering defenders and trying to dunk everything.
He wants to be a Tim Duncan, but needs to try to be more of a Shaq.. .
I think the coaches probably baby him in practice,, who knows. But he has been a liability on the court so far.. Should not be starting.

But, he is at least trying to block shots.
sealhall74

wiu2017 wrote:Poor Gilbeck, I think its both being shocked that he got a pass and lack of skill.. Gilbeck needs to realize he is 6'11 and big.. Why is he shooting hook shots. He should be overpowering defenders and trying to dunk everything.
He wants to be a Tim Duncan, but needs to try to be more of a Shaq.. .
I think the coaches probably baby him in practice,, who knows. But he has been a liability on the court so far.. Should not be starting.

But, he is at least trying to block shots.
This aint high school ball so no big man, soft or not so soft, can dunk everything. Every big man does need a shot within 8-10 feet of basket that he can reliably make 8 out of 10 times unguarded and about half the time guarded. Karnowski from Gonzaga has a baby hook and is deadly with it. Nothing wrong with a little fade away J either. Whatever it is, got to have one. Gilbeck got none right now. He too should have been redshirted and at the end of that year he would have a shot or he would be riding the bench until he found one. You are right on the money - should not be starting.
Embrace the pace of the race.
wiu2017

A guy like Snyder can at least make the easy buckets. A Jump hook close to the bucket is great, but Gilbeck is shooting too far out, he has no touch. When I say try to Dunk everything , I mean have that mentality, body his man down closer to the bucket. He lets 200 lb guys push him off the block.. He has to be taught how to use his lower body, and not get offensive fouls away from the ball..(coaching) Its not as easy as it may seem, but he has the size and the Refs call fouls like crazy now days. Now how the guards are getting him the ball with the proper timing is a whole other issue.. I guess we are just thinking this team actually runs an offense, its the Covington show so .. what are ya gonna do..smh
wiu2013

wiu2017 wrote:A guy like Snyder can at least make the easy buckets. A Jump hook close to the bucket is great, but Gilbeck is shooting too far out, he has no touch. When I say try to Dunk everything , I mean have that mentality, body his man down closer to the bucket. He lets 200 lb guys push him off the block.. He has to be taught how to use his lower body, and not get offensive fouls away from the ball..(coaching) Its not as easy as it may seem, but he has the size and the Refs call fouls like crazy now days. Now how the guards are getting him the ball with the proper timing is a whole other issue.. I guess we are just thinking this team actually runs an offense, its the Covington show so .. what are ya gonna do..smh
If you live in Macomb you should take 10-15 minutes to sit or stand in a practice session. I have many of times and Gilbeck is probably the one that hears it the most at practice. The one practice that I passed through he got thrown out, so he is not getting easy by the coaches at practice. You contradict yourself when you say he needs to be taught how to use his lower body etc, etc, (has been in practice and sitting behind the bench you can hear it is told to him when he comes out of games), but then say it's not easy because refs call fouls. Most of his calls are for not going straight up.